Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Frostbite OS X Port Planned

DICE is advertising for a software engineer to help port their Frostbite engine to Mac OS X. Here's word on plans for a different thinking version of the game engine: "Frostbite is looking for developers who want to join us in taking our engine to the next level. You will be part of a team focusing on bringing Frostbite to Mac and work closely with game team customers and the Frostbite team to deliver an engine as great on OS X as it is on Windows and traditional console platforms." Thanks Videogamer.

View
6. Re: Frostbite OS X Port Planned Jan 28, 2013, 15:46 SectorEffector

TheEmissary wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 13:17:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 10:22:
Sho wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 09:55:
And OS X pretty much means Linux, at least potentially (OpenGL, POSIX).

Really curious how they plan to get the most out of Frostbite given the largely underpowered GPUs that are in all but the highest end Macs. Heck, even those can't hold a candle to the higher-end off the self PC cards.

You can buy off the shelf GPU upgrades for the desktop Macs. As you pointed out the real problem is going to be with the integrated graphics in the Macbooks. If the game developers are serious about porting games over to platforms in addition to windows this will be a non-issue in a few years.

This is useless when you consider a GTX 560 lags playing any non source games in OSX due to Apple never giving a shit about its OpenGL gaming. Third party card or not, OSX plays games like dogshit compared to Windows.

Even on their laptops, its just a better idea to boot into windows for gaming.

Playing Diablo III ( back when I was playing it ) on my retina MBP in windows is just miles ahead of the OSX version.

I cant even play Diablo III at 2880x1800 in OSX with good FPS.

Go into Win 7, Playing 2880x1800 much better.

Linux is probably the backbone to this press release.

This comment was edited on Jan 28, 2013, 15:54.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Jan 28, 09:55 Re: Frostbite OS X Port Planned Sho
  2. Jan 28, 10:22  Re: Frostbite OS X Port Planned Parallax Abstraction
  4. Jan 28, 13:17   Re: Frostbite OS X Port Planned TheEmissary
>> 6. Jan 28, 15:46    Re: Frostbite OS X Port Planned SectorEffector
  3. Jan 28, 11:37 Re: Frostbite OS X Port Planned Orphic Resonance
  5. Jan 28, 14:18 Re: Frostbite OS X Port Planned jdreyer
  7. Jan 28, 16:07 I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT! Orphic Resonance
  8. Jan 28, 17:01  Re: I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT! Topevoli
  9. Jan 29, 06:12   Re: I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT! Slick