Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Previews

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Morning Previews Jan 29, 2013, 06:44 LgFriess

Im really enjoying this game so far. Drops seem right, no reliance on an AH. I'm not sure why, but the combat seems more fun then D3/T2...and I really liked T2. I also think the dark atmosphere is a great addition. The microtransactions are truly not needed.

I'm not happy with the always online crap, and some of the combat does feel clunky at times. And though I enjoy map randomization for replayability, I feel areas change/respawn just a bit too quickly at this point and can make me feel rushed at times. Oh, I don't like the frequent trips back to town to clear your bags either. But I can deal with that.

The big thing for me is the drops, sockets, and skill tree. There's a lot to experiment with there.

This comment was edited on Jan 29, 2013, 07:06.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Morning Previews Jan 29, 2013, 05:16 InBlack

Im gonna have to finally check it out. What Ive seen of the closed beta didnt impress me that much, but then again that was quite a while ago. Now if only MW:O would let me out of its grasp....

Unsure whehter to wait for Open Beta to end or to give it a whirl in the near future. Decisions, decisions...

I have a nifty blue line!

18. Re: Morning Previews Jan 29, 2013, 01:07 mag

Axis wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 17:07:
Haha JD, I'll just let the reviews speak for themselves at this point, my job is done!

They're not paying you to let the reviews speak for themselves, man! Get off your butt and evangelize, evangelize, evangelize. Earn that paycheck!

17. Re: Morning Previews Jan 29, 2013, 01:05 mag

Ah. This is an online-only one? Is it going to be F2P, or do you have to pay for it?  

16. Re: Morning Previews Jan 29, 2013, 00:39 Flatline

It's okay. It's not the end of the world and I haven't inadvertantly cracked out on it for 12 hours. I don't know if it'll hold my attention much though.

I'll agree it's an improvement on D3. The minute-to-minute play of the game however is far less engaging for me than even GW2. There may be more longevity, but I'd have to get seriously engaged in it, and I dunno if it'll do that for me.

15. Re: Morning Previews Jan 29, 2013, 00:17 Wallshadows

Changed it up a little and started building a Summoner Witch which uses Fire spells and an amp damage fire curse. It's basically the Necromancer from D2 except the minions are actually useful beyond lagging the game till the end of time.

It's a shambling wall of death and fire.

14. Re: Morning Previews Jan 29, 2013, 00:17 Wowbagger_TIP

Closed Betas wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 20:12:
The more I checked out this game, the more it felt like a tototal scam, I meant they have no minds of their own, how much of this game is just basically ripping off Age of Conan, Lionheart and how many other like titles for their designs.. the more I play its so obvious of what they are doing for their ideas...

I'll start off with the obvious.. see if you can follow up with the others..

1. Beginning... Age of conan washed up at sea
2. Act 2, age of conan again with the bananas..
half the lands are named based upon ripoffs what lore?

The gameplay is fun. I couldn't care less if they ripped off some other lore for the names.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

13. Re: Morning Previews Jan 29, 2013, 00:13 Cutter

I find it to be ok, that's it, just ok. It won't keep my attention.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

12. Re: Morning Previews Jan 28, 2013, 20:12 Closed Betas

The more I checked out this game, the more it felt like a tototal scam, I meant they have no minds of their own, how much of this game is just basically ripping off Age of Conan, Lionheart and how many other like titles for their designs.. the more I play its so obvious of what they are doing for their ideas...

I'll start off with the obvious.. see if you can follow up with the others..

1. Beginning... Age of conan washed up at sea
2. Act 2, age of conan again with the bananas..
half the lands are named based upon ripoffs what lore?

11. Re: Morning Previews Jan 28, 2013, 18:16 Axis

nin wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 17:56:
Anyway... The negativity exhibited around here towards this game so far is just proof that Blue's regulars will crap all over ANYTHING no matter how good it is.

Oh, please. It's not nearly as bad as the folks that say "you guys are just haters here" when people don't agree with them...

The BN regulars who crap all over good games are most often the same ones hating on anyone who disagrees. I know this from experience by the local 'Brown Newsers' here...

Yours truly,

Axis

10. Re: Morning Previews Jan 28, 2013, 18:07 Tom

Hey I never said the game was perfect, it's certainly not. But some of the stuff I saw in that big thread was just undeserved, IMO.

Also, if this game got any mentions on Blue's before the big open beta announcement, I must've missed em. It seems pretty darn low on the hype scale.

9. Re: Morning Previews Jan 28, 2013, 17:56 nin

Anyway... The negativity exhibited around here towards this game so far is just proof that Blue's regulars will crap all over ANYTHING no matter how good it is.

Oh, please. It's not nearly as bad as the folks that say "you guys are just haters here" when people don't agree with them...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

8. Re: Morning Previews Jan 28, 2013, 17:50 Redmask

Tom wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 17:39:
Anyway... The negativity exhibited around here towards this game so far is just proof that Blue's regulars will crap all over ANYTHING no matter how good it is. To anyone who is wondering about this game... Just try it and see for yourself. If you like computer-based ARPGs you will probably love it. It's amazing that it's free.

I think you're mistaking ambivalence for negativity, there's been one big news thing and that's it from what I've seen. I've played it quite a bit and there are things I really like about it and things I don't like at all, it's far from the perfect creation some are pitching it to others as. I'm not a regular yet but I don't feel like I have to be only positive or negative just to satisfy you. The hype period is over, the game is in peoples hands now and they can judge for themselves.

7. Re: Morning Previews Jan 28, 2013, 17:39 Tom

I marathoned this game fairly hardcore over the weekend after just learning of it last week. Played through the 3 acts on normal, started cruel difficulty. It's a great game! People like it because it is FUN and innovative. These guys actually put some thought into the game design. They "get it", unlike the folks (designers) who made Diablo 3. All those times when you said "ok I'll cut you some slack Blizzard, since Diablo 2 was so good and the world is different now"? In PoE that's replaced with the feeling of "THIS is how it should've been!" And also "WOW this is new and different and awesome!"

These guys spent 6 years in development and it shows. They weren't screwing around. They made intelligent design decisions. And they went with a bold business model: this is the least P2W out of any major F2P games I've seen yet. When they say "ethical microtransactions", they mean it. The game is free and basically supported by donations. In Tribes Ascend you can pay to unlock classes and weapons. In League of Legends you can pay to unlock characters. So what about PoE? The ONLY gameplay-relevant thing you can pay to unlock is extra space for your stash. And it's not like they squeeze you there either - you get 4 tabs for free and they are large. It's enough space to easily store a whole bunch of potential items for several different characters or builds.

Anyway... The negativity exhibited around here towards this game so far is just proof that Blue's regulars will crap all over ANYTHING no matter how good it is. To anyone who is wondering about this game... Just try it and see for yourself. If you like computer-based ARPGs you will probably love it. It's amazing that it's free.

6. Re: Morning Previews Jan 28, 2013, 17:25 ItBurn

I like PoE so far. I'm like, level 16 and haven't finished act 1. I'm not even sure there are acts...

As far as game mechanics go, it's better than D3 in almost every way. I think that the inventory is a bit small. You constantly have to go back to town.

It's more fun to kill monsters in D3 though. It feels great and is responsive. Often, in PoE, you're not even sure if you killed the enemy or not, so you keep spamming spells... It's functional, but it could be much better.

My main positive is the fact that there's actual character progression and customization.

The always online thing is indeed a bit annoying. Especially since their servers constantly die and restart (beta). I keep losing town portals (not cheap in this game) and have to redo areas that respawned when I rejoined.

5. Re: Morning Previews Jan 28, 2013, 17:07 Axis

Haha JD, I'll just let the reviews speak for themselves at this point, my job is done!  

Yours truly,

Axis

4. Re: Morning Previews Jan 28, 2013, 16:11 RollinThundr

Frijoles wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 16:05:
Not a bad game. I'm curious, though. There's a lot of people on Blues that love PoE. But they're the same people that bitched about the always-on DRM in Diablo 3. Doesn't PoE have the same exact thing? I've only logged in once, so I haven't checked to see if my chars are saved to a cloud. I'm guessing they are.

People like it because the itemization doesn't suck ass, and no AH which removes the entire point of playing in the first place.

Basically to me POE is what D3 should have been mechanics wise/itemization wise.

3. Re: Morning Previews Jan 28, 2013, 16:05 Frijoles

Not a bad game. I'm curious, though. There's a lot of people on Blues that love PoE. But they're the same people that bitched about the always-on DRM in Diablo 3. Doesn't PoE have the same exact thing? I've only logged in once, so I haven't checked to see if my chars are saved to a cloud. I'm guessing they are.  

2. Re: Morning Previews Jan 28, 2013, 14:49 nin

Well, you did say his name 3 times, so like Derek Smart and Beetlejuice, he should be along shortly...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: Morning Previews Jan 28, 2013, 14:47 jdreyer

Axis, Axis, wherefore art thou, Axis?  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo