Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioShock Infinite PC Q&A

The Irrational Games Website now features a Q&A on the recently revealed specs for the PC edition of BioShock Infinite, their upcoming first-person shooter sequel. There are a few answers covering Steam support, saying that Steam is required, Steam's standard DRM will be used, and boxed copies will include Steam keys. They also say the game will have full widescreen support and will be able to play at the maximum framerate supported by your system, and discuss OS support, saying it will be Window 8 "compatible" and not "certified," and that there will be no Windows XP support.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

16. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Q&A Jan 28, 2013, 01:14 eRe4s3r

Thats very nice to hear!  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Q&A Jan 27, 2013, 21:48 A51Abductee

Quoted from

irrationalgames.com/insider/pc-specifications-for-bioshock-infinite-announced/

If I have any regrets, its that there are always more features that we wanted to add than we had time to implement. For example, some of the most requested PC features these days are in-game V-Sync and FOV adjustment controls. Unfortunately, given our tight scwait, never mind. We added those too!

Happily, FOV adjustment is supported this time.

14. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Q&A Jan 27, 2013, 21:42 eRe4s3r

low FOV haters?

Can I buy this logic in a jar? Low FOV motion sickness is a medical issue, not a damned choice! If you don't suffer from it you are not having the setup required to suffer from it (large screen, less than arm length distance).

If you don't agree with scientific facts (and that is the case for the FOV and what is optimal at what distance : screensize : aspect) then nobody can help you. But we are not even hating low fov, we are hating on companies deadlocking it with bullshit excuses....

13. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Q&A Jan 27, 2013, 21:25 StingingVelvet

DangerDog wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 16:36:
65 just doesn't work for PC when you're sitting closer to the screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blZUao2jTGA

that video explains it all in detail

Not everyone is effected by that and personally every time I raise an FOV above default I see fisheye.

I'm fine with low FOV haters expressing their opinion, but when they act like every PC gamer agrees with them I roll my eyes a bit.

12. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Q&A Jan 27, 2013, 21:16 eRe4s3r

ViRGE wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 16:23:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 16:19:
Q: What are your plans for widescreen in BioShock Infinite?

Chris Kline: Weve done a lot of work for BioShock Infinite to support a wide range of display setups and resolutions, so Im confident youll have a great full-screen play experience when it is released.

more 65 degree FOV I'm guessing, someone will probably release a tool to set it higher but why can't they just add this to games ported to the PC.
Because 65 degrees is intentional? I don't know why everyone assumes it's a technical limitation when it's sometimes done for artistic reasons.

FOV is never artistic, it is a biological necessity to have it adaptable as we have no doubt mentioned nearly 560000 times by now.

Even on console people sit closer or further away from a screen of size X, and size and distance decide what fov is REQUIRED. A locked FOV is like you would put a magnifying glass in front of you head and leave it there forever.. that's not how human eyes work (or can work)

11. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Q&A Jan 27, 2013, 20:02 theyarecomingforyou

Because 65 degrees is intentional? I don't know why everyone assumes it's a technical limitation when it's sometimes done for artistic reasons.
As already stated, FOV is entirely dependent upon the distance you are from the screen relative to its size. Those sensitive to motion sickness are especially affected by an incorrect FOV. For consoles a low FOV is an easy way to improve performance by limiting the amount displayed on screen. But it's absolutely NOT an artistic decision.

While an incorrect FOV doesn't really bother me it annoys me when developers can't be bothered adding a slider, as it's really simple to implement. It's nice to see a lot of developers have recognised that recently, with games like Far Cry 3 and Borderlands 2 providing it as an option.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

10. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Q&A Jan 27, 2013, 19:51 Jerykk

Glad to see them putting effort into the PC port. The high-res textures look great in the latest batch of screenshots.  

9. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Q&A Jan 27, 2013, 17:04 nin

I need to lock this in...wish it was out a few weeks earlier, when I'm off work.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

8. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Q&A Jan 27, 2013, 17:00 NewMaxx

I don't know why everyone assumes it's a technical limitation

Actually in most cases using a smaller FOV increases performance as it reduces the amount needing to be rendered, so doing so for consoles could very well be a "technical limitation." Therefore, its institution in a port is a form of "consolization" rather than an "artistic reason."

However, the choice of FOV is both scientific and subjective, with as low as 65 working for some games while others benefit from up to 90-100. When it comes to shooters, though, it's really difficult to find any artistic or scientific argument for 65 degrees, beyond performance and viewing distance.

7. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Q&A Jan 27, 2013, 16:48 Parallax Abstraction

Redmask wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 16:04:
Looks like the number of devs using GFWL continues to dwindle.

The original BioShock didn't use it. BioShock 2 (which Irrational had nothing to do with) did and mostly because it was a quick Xbox port that used it for the multiplayer. I think this won't have any multiplayer.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

6. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Q&A Jan 27, 2013, 16:40 Beamer

Redmask wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 16:04:

I think it's dead and replaced with windows 8 store.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Q&A Jan 27, 2013, 16:39 Beamer

FOV is not an artistic decision, unless you're doing mech or something. Otherwise its a biological necessity. FOV is tied to distance from the screen and how your brain expects images to appear. NOT artistic  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

4. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Q&A Jan 27, 2013, 16:36 DangerDog

65 just doesn't work for PC when you're sitting closer to the screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blZUao2jTGA

that video explains it all in detail

3. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Q&A Jan 27, 2013, 16:23 ViRGE

DangerDog wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 16:19:

Chris Kline: Weve done a lot of work for BioShock Infinite to support a wide range of display setups and resolutions, so Im confident youll have a great full-screen play experience when it is released.

more 65 degree FOV I'm guessing, someone will probably release a tool to set it higher but why can't they just add this to games ported to the PC.

2. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Q&A Jan 27, 2013, 16:19 DangerDog

1. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Q&A Jan 27, 2013, 16:04 Redmask

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo