Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's the list of the bestselling games on Steam for this past week:

1. Chivalry: Medieval War
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn
  3. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  4. Arma II: Combined Operations
  5. Euro Truck 2 Simulator
  6. The Cave
  7. Far Cry 3
  8. DmC: Devil May Cry
  9. Call of Duty; Black Ops II
  10. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 29, 2013, 01:19 Rigs

(if you ignore your GPS, at least, since it seems to relish in sending you across every fucking chickenshit dirt road in Europe)

Haha, you noticed that too, eh? Yeah, I love when it doesn't tell you to turn until you're RIGHT UP ON IT, which always causes me to slam the brakes and lurch over to the turning lane, usually with a loud *CRASH!* following close after as the car in that lane goes careening into the shoulder...Or, when you miss said turn and then try to find a turn-around along the middle of the highway and it's fucking steel BARRIERS for 40 miles! I love this fuckin' thing!

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: DmC Jan 28, 2013, 03:09 netnerd85

Ant wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 23:57:
netnerd85 wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 23:53:
Only for the Consoles, they really need a PC demo because it blows them out of the water.
Yes, they do. I don't know if I would like the game.
I wasn't into Hack n Slash games until I gave Blades of Time a go, that has a PC demo on Steam. I haven't really bothered to play any of these types of games on the PC with a keyboard and mouse. Gave Blades of Time a tiny go with it and seemed fine. But they are definitely button mushers.

Rigs wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 00:01:
Stupid question but is this a new version of DMC? I know DMC4 had a demo (or something you could call a 'demo') and it was gorgeous on PC, especially with DX10...but I hadn't heard of another version, if this is one I'll have to check it out...
No such thing as a stupid question, but yes it's a reboot of the series. You could call it DMC5 but they call it, oddly, "DmC Devil May Cry".

The new DmC games "Story Supervisor" is Alex Garland. Was suprised to see his name in the opening credits. Always happy to see his name though.

Will have to download DMC4, gave DMC3 a quick go but the controls are a bit all over the place and it's definitely dated.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2013, 02:01 Creston

nin wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 23:01:
Goddammit Creston, the last thing I planned on playing is a fucking truck simulator, yet you make it sound really interesting.

I admit, I thought the same thing when I first saw it, but the leveling up system (and keeping upgrades unavailable until you reach a certain level) really speaks to the gamer in me. It gives you something to work towards, as opposed to just buying the best Mercedes Actos or Scania out there and then going "okay, now what?" When I was finally able to upgrade from the shitty 320hp to a 420hp engine, and I took the new engine out for a spin afterward, it felt pretty damn cool.

The large majority of the game is just driving 90km/h along fairly smooth highways, (if you ignore your GPS, at least, since it seems to relish in sending you across every fucking chickenshit dirt road in Europe) but driving a big semi is enough of a challenge that it remains interesting, at least to me. Add in the simple mechanics for resting, refueling, etc, that keep it fresh enough to not just make a drive so dull that you turn the PC off.

It's likely not a thing for everyone, as it's really not a 'game.' You have to enjoy simulations in general to a certain level before you'd enjoy this, but like I said before, there's something really relaxing about it. It has an almost XCOM like quality to make me go "just one more delivery" (which, at my level and distance, take around ~45 mins.)

I'm about 200xp away from level 12, when I unlock another, more powerful engine, a new chassis, and new interiors for my truck. So I realllllly want to do another delivery, but I gotta go get some sleep because of fucking work! GNAAAAH!

I also spent at least an hour looking for cool skin mods for my Scania.

Try the demo, apparently it's pretty good.

Creston

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2013, 00:01 Rigs

Creston wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 22:53:
Rigs wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 22:45:
EDIT: I am curious what this sim has to do with the other SCANIA Truck Sim as they both look nearly identical... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

It's made by the same company. The Scania games were earlier games, this is a more evolved version, basically. (though I think really the biggest difference between the two is that there are more trucks modeled in this game.)

Oh, and btw, there is an absolute shitload of mods available.

Creston

Indeed, I've been practically living on that site for the last two weeks, though I found it like three months ago when ETS2 first came out...

EDIT: Pretty bad when one of the first 'America' maps they get out has a picture of a head-on collision...

Ant wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 23:57:
Ant wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 23:46:
netnerd85 wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 23:35:
DmC: Devil May Cry needs more love! it looks beautiful on the PC
Was there a playable demo of it? Or did I miss it?
Only for the Consoles, they really need a PC demo because it blows them out of the water.

Stupid question but is this a new version of DMC? I know DMC4 had a demo (or something you could call a 'demo') and it was gorgeous on PC, especially with DX10...but I hadn't heard of another version, if this is one I'll have to check it out...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

26. Re: DmC Jan 27, 2013, 23:57 Ant

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

25. Re: DmC Jan 27, 2013, 23:53 netnerd85

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 27, 2013, 23:52 Cutter

nin wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 18:40:
I'd dearl love to see an open world GTA style game done for GOT

Wow, I'd buy that in a second.

I actually should have said RDR given the horse thing. Couple that with some Chivalry style combat and key points to explore in an overarching quest with requisite subquests and it'd be pretty great. And really, it would be natch for a solid MMO as well.

nin wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 23:01:
Goddammit Creston, the last thing I planned on playing is a fucking truck simulator, yet you make it sound really interesting.

Get the trial off the main website.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

23. DmC Jan 27, 2013, 23:46 Ant

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 27, 2013, 23:35 netnerd85

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2013, 23:13 Dev

Creston wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 22:53:
Wait what? Impossibru! I thought mods were supposed to decrease sales!

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2013, 23:01 nin

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2013, 22:53 Creston

Rigs wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 22:45:
EDIT: I am curious what this sim has to do with the other SCANIA Truck Sim as they both look nearly identical... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

It's made by the same company. The Scania games were earlier games, this is a more evolved version, basically. (though I think really the biggest difference between the two is that there are more trucks modeled in this game.)

Creston

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2013, 22:45 Rigs

Using my Logi G25 and loving every bit of ETS2! It has plenty of support for wheel, pedals, and H-shifter (or sequential for the shifter panzies out there...) What I do is hook up both my G25 and my Logi RumblePad2 (a wanna-be Dualshock...hell, now that I think of it, I could probably actually use a PS3 DualShock also...hmmm...) and use both at the same time...since the G25 comes with 'only' 14 buttons (or so), having the pad for the others is nice. Plus I have a G510 keyboard, so my G-keys come in handy too! Everything is supported either in-game or through the Logi control panels. (I use this setup when sim-racing also) I haven't tried to play it straight kb+mouse style as I'm not really into the whole S&M thing...

I agree with MisterBenn 's analysis. The roadways and landscape don't exactly correlate to real-life but it looks good enough to not really care anyway...lol....at least to me. I wasn't going into it thinking this was the FSX of truck sims...though I suppose it could certainly be with a little more spit and polish! They have a good thing going with this sim, they need to keep it up! It makes the other trucks sims look like Big Rigs... *shudder...puke*

=-Rigs-=

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 27, 2013, 22:45 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 17:39:
You just checking out the demo or didja buy it? It's already $10 less on GMG.

I just bought it. And yeah, it went on sale like two days later, but oh well. It's well worth the 35 bucks I paid, because I'm having a great time "playing" it.

Creston

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 27, 2013, 22:44 Creston

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 20:56:
Creston wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 16:16:
Euro Truck Simulator 2 is awesome, btw. Not a game, really, though it has some gamey elements to it (upgrading your truck, buying skills, leveling up), but the sim part of driving a truck is great, and I find a fun, relaxing diversion for a few hours at a time.

Probably not worth 40 bucks if you're wanting a game out of it, but if/when it goes down to 20, it's well recommended.

Creston

What are you playing it with control wise? I watched Giant Bomb's quick look but they were using a wheel and pedal set there. Given the number of buttons and whatnot, I was wondering how well it worked with a gamepad or keyboard/mouse.

It drives well enough with an Xbox controller, though I really wish there was a way to remap accelerate and brake off the left control stick. Because the left control stick is also steering, and it's tough in corners to accelerate and steer precisely sometimes.

But other than that it works pretty well. Obviously a wheel would be better, but I don't have that kind of spare scratch lying around at the moment.

MisterBenn wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 21:36:
The main strength seems to be the graphics, they are bold and clear and the colour scheme is well chosen for terrain and roads so it helps with a feeling of realism. What isn't so good is the simplicity of the map. Obviously you need to simplify for gameplay's sake, but it's like 6 turns in total on the drive from Dover to Cambridge! The M25 doesn't look different to normal roads, the Dartford tunnel was not present and so on. If you live somewhere on the map and are looking for some recognisable features then you will probably be disappointed.

Yeah, they mapped only highways and major thoroughfares, and even then they skipped quite a few of the highways. It's not as if there's a shortage of roads to drive on, but I do wish they'd taken the little extra time and at least modeled all the major interstates. I took a job from Amsterdam to Calais and was quite surprised to find I HAD TO go through Luxembourg just to get there!

Some of the landmarks are spot on. Coming out of the Schiphol tunnel on the A4 just outside of Amsterdam takes you right past the airport, as it should, and underneath the taxying planes, as it should, but then 5 seconds later there's big apartment complexes beside the road, and as I was going "wtf... those aren't there!" I realized that in the game, I was already approaching Rotterdam.

The distance has been crimped pretty heavily, which is going to lead to issues like you said where you take 6 corners going from one place to another. Though if you want a challenging drive, I can heartily recommend taking a trip from Poland to Czechia. No highways. Have fun hauling that load across 80km/h country roads filled with S curves and hills and valleys that will slow you to a crawl...

The driving is fun though, the lorries feel heavy and unwieldy as they should do, it's amusing to overshoot a turn and then get into reversing with traffic around. It's also quite cute when AI cars flash you and wait or cut you up like in real life! There's a progression system where you unlock licenses for different types of jobs and more dangerous goods to transport and I think you can own multiple trucks and depots I believe although I didn't play that far. It seems quite fun but I wonder what the longevity is like, perhaps the business building brings another dimension to make you keep playing.

The business building stuff seems pretty rudimentary. I mean, it's there so you can use if if you want to, I just don't really see what the point is, really. You can take a 400K loan and get that business going, and it'll pay itself off in 10 days or so, it's that simple.

I'm just sticking with my one-man trucking company, as that way the money is at least a little tight and I look forward to being able to buy another upgrade.

Creston

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2013, 22:52.

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 27, 2013, 21:44 Jerykk

StingingVelvet wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 21:28:
Dev wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 20:52:
Sleeping dogs stuff (even DLC) is 75% off. $10 for the game.

The DLC is confusing. The dragon master pack claims to have 5 dlc, but lists only 3. As well, once thats purchased, steam still lets you purchase the the individual ones you supposedly already own. Someone screwed up there.

I'm installing it right now so I can't tell WTF I actually own yet.

Speaking of DLC, steam's tracking for it as always is horrendous. It should be shown on the main page with the list of DLC which ones you own and don't own. You end up having to add all to cart and remove one at a time, and then steam's cart bugs out sometimes if you remove too many items too quickly and clears your cart, making you start all over. Which is a big pain if its a 30 or so DLC like with magicka.
Speaking of the cart, valve get into the last decade and give us checkboxes and select all options for the cart, so its easier to manipulate the cart.

90% of the DLC for that game is stupid skins and cheat items. I would rather not have them in my game, let alone pay for them.

The two actual packs are the tournament and Halloween ones, but from what I hear they aren't very good.

The Zodiac Tournament and Nightmare in North Point DLC are solid entertainment for their current prices. Don't expect a lot of substance, though. They pretty much just give you more stuff to beat up, which is the most entertaining part of the game anyway. Each one offers 1-2 hours of gameplay. Zodiac Tournament also gives you two new outfits with new moves, though the moves are purely aesthetic and are functionally the same as the base set.

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 27, 2013, 21:36 MisterBenn

In Euro Truck I understand a wheel is best of course, when I tried it I used a PS2 pad with analogue sticks, you have to map sensible buttons for yourself but it's pretty easy to get manual gears, horn and lights, analogue steering and so on. I've read that keyboard only is quite fiddly, I guess that would be down to the steering.

The main strength seems to be the graphics, they are bold and clear and the colour scheme is well chosen for terrain and roads so it helps with a feeling of realism. What isn't so good is the simplicity of the map. Obviously you need to simplify for gameplay's sake, but it's like 6 turns in total on the drive from Dover to Cambridge! The M25 doesn't look different to normal roads, the Dartford tunnel was not present and so on. If you live somewhere on the map and are looking for some recognisable features then you will probably be disappointed.

The driving is fun though, the lorries feel heavy and unwieldy as they should do, it's amusing to overshoot a turn and then get into reversing with traffic around. It's also quite cute when AI cars flash you and wait or cut you up like in real life! There's a progression system where you unlock licenses for different types of jobs and more dangerous goods to transport and I think you can own multiple trucks and depots I believe although I didn't play that far. It seems quite fun but I wonder what the longevity is like, perhaps the business building brings another dimension to make you keep playing.

Playing: Path of Exile, Age of Wonders III

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 27, 2013, 21:28 StingingVelvet

Dev wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 20:52:
Sleeping dogs stuff (even DLC) is 75% off. $10 for the game.

The DLC is confusing. The dragon master pack claims to have 5 dlc, but lists only 3. As well, once thats purchased, steam still lets you purchase the the individual ones you supposedly already own. Someone screwed up there.

I'm installing it right now so I can't tell WTF I actually own yet.

Speaking of DLC, steam's tracking for it as always is horrendous. It should be shown on the main page with the list of DLC which ones you own and don't own. You end up having to add all to cart and remove one at a time, and then steam's cart bugs out sometimes if you remove too many items too quickly and clears your cart, making you start all over. Which is a big pain if its a 30 or so DLC like with magicka.
Speaking of the cart, valve get into the last decade and give us checkboxes and select all options for the cart, so its easier to manipulate the cart.

90% of the DLC for that game is stupid skins and cheat items. I would rather not have them in my game, let alone pay for them.

The two actual packs are the tournament and Halloween ones, but from what I hear they aren't very good.

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 27, 2013, 21:07 Dev

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 20:56:
Given the number of buttons and whatnot, I was wondering how well it worked with a gamepad or keyboard/mouse.
I don't have it, but a g13 won't ever fail you with number of buttons

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 27, 2013, 20:56 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 16:16:
Euro Truck Simulator 2 is awesome, btw. Not a game, really, though it has some gamey elements to it (upgrading your truck, buying skills, leveling up), but the sim part of driving a truck is great, and I find a fun, relaxing diversion for a few hours at a time.

Probably not worth 40 bucks if you're wanting a game out of it, but if/when it goes down to 20, it's well recommended.

Creston

What are you playing it with control wise? I watched Giant Bomb's quick look but they were using a wheel and pedal set there. Given the number of buttons and whatnot, I was wondering how well it worked with a gamepad or keyboard/mouse.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo