Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Tech Bits

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 28, 2013, 15:57 Beamer

Verno wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 12:48:
Orphic Resonance wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 11:27:
I dont really care about it since Im not planning on getting Windows 8. But I do think all of this bullshit is pretty exaggerated. People around here flip out when someone says "PC is dead!" but then turn around in the same breath and say "Microsoft is dead!" themselves. Its just silly to me.

Err, who is saying Microsoft is dead? They're just largely stagnant in the consumer space at the moment. It's not surprising that people and companies are seeking alternatives just in case its the sign of a larger shift down the road. I don't think anyone actually said or believes what you claim about DirectX and Windows disappearing overnight, platform inertia will keep them afloat for years to come even if nothing else changed.

A few people here say they're dead, by which they mean "dying" or "walking dead." Plenty of stupid editorials claiming it, too.

It depends on the time frame people mean when they say "dead," though. That one stupid editorial said they'd be irrelevant within 3 years, which I think we unanimously said was stupid. Cutter seems to think they'll be irrelevant within 10 or so, I'd think, if they don't replace Ballmer. A few others likely think it will be in that time frame, anyway.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 28, 2013, 15:53 mag

SmyTTor wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 09:56:
This may come as a shock, but there are more *nix based operating systems on devices than Windows- by a long shot. Between Apple shit and Android, Windows is a distant third today.

The development of software compatible with the *nix's has mushroomed thanks to gaming on tablets and phones and the streaming of movies and music, the need for apps. The strong points of linux really allowed it to take off with smart phones. Small, efficient, reliable, open source. Hell, my universal remote is linux based~

I predominantly use linux. I like linux. I have an Android phone.

Android phones do not, should not, count as linux. Yes, somewhere deep inside Google abomination there is a modified linux kernel, but that's like saying the Xbox ran WinXP.

21. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 28, 2013, 12:48 Verno

Orphic Resonance wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 11:27:
I dont really care about it since Im not planning on getting Windows 8. But I do think all of this bullshit is pretty exaggerated. People around here flip out when someone says "PC is dead!" but then turn around in the same breath and say "Microsoft is dead!" themselves. Its just silly to me.

Err, who is saying Microsoft is dead? They're just largely stagnant in the consumer space at the moment. It's not surprising that people and companies are seeking alternatives just in case its the sign of a larger shift down the road. I don't think anyone actually said or believes what you claim about DirectX and Windows disappearing overnight, platform inertia will keep them afloat for years to come even if nothing else changed.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

20. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 28, 2013, 11:27 Orphic Resonance

Microsoft is going to be around for a good long while - it may not be as a discreet OS unto itself for much longer, just like the other big contenders - but the corp will continue to make software that is heavily used all over the world for many years to come. They may even get bought out at some point. But the idea that the windows kernel and directx and all that is going to vanish tommorow - its bullshit, sorry.

Its also pretty bizzarre in general... IM A HARDCORE PC GAMER!! FUCK MICROSOFT THEY ARE SHIT!!

... yeh, ok dude. Have a side of irony with your angsty angst.

19. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 28, 2013, 11:17 Creston

Good old Microsoft. Release a shitty OS, blame the hardware guys for it being a shitty OS. First Vista, now Windows 8. Ca plus ce change etc.

And Balmer stays employed. Microsoft has the most pathetic board of directors ever witnessed in the history of mankind.

Creston

18. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 28, 2013, 09:56 SmyTTor

This may come as a shock, but there are more *nix based operating systems on devices than Windows- by a long shot. Between Apple shit and Android, Windows is a distant third today.

The development of software compatible with the *nix's has mushroomed thanks to gaming on tablets and phones and the streaming of movies and music, the need for apps. The strong points of linux really allowed it to take off with smart phones. Small, efficient, reliable, open source. Hell, my universal remote is linux based~

17. Re: bye bye windows Jan 28, 2013, 08:59 Verno

Orphic Resonance wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 20:47:
yeh we are all gonna play our PC games on linux machines from now on.. its the future!

or macs.. also the future!

I don't know, look at tablets and smartphones as platforms. People have really simple needs in general and many of them are covered by web apps and curated shit these days. All thats really holding back gaming on *nix boxes is fragmentation and lack of a decent unified API.

I agree that it's not likely to happen but it's not as crazy it would have been 5 years ago, particularly with something like Steam to hide the complexity. It's really immature right now so it will be interesting to see if it goes anywhere.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

16. Re: bye bye windows Jan 27, 2013, 21:13 Mashiki Amiketo

yeh we are all gonna play our PC games on linux machines from now on.. its the future!

If developers got their heads out of their ass and started going back to OGL that really wouldn't be a problem. Until that changes, well DX is where it's at still.

Well the steambox might help on that guess we'll see.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

15. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 27, 2013, 21:11 Ant

Orphic Resonance wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 20:58:
keep on dreaming, kids
I am not a baby goat!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

14. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 27, 2013, 20:58 Orphic Resonance

keep on dreaming, kids  

13. Re: bye bye windows Jan 27, 2013, 20:51 Ant

Who cares where!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

12. bye bye windows Jan 27, 2013, 20:47 Orphic Resonance

11. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 27, 2013, 20:42 Julio

Just like a turd, Windows 8 will float along doing nothing after its relaunch.  

10. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 27, 2013, 20:16 Orphic Resonance

only from the land of Dark Schneider  

9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 27, 2013, 18:39 Redmask

Trashy wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 18:19:
Hmm, the tuner software I use says 1080p when I switch channels on the overlay.. I click station details on the channel list it says 1080i.. so I guess I'm not sure.

Ant wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 17:57:
Trashy wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 17:55:
Actually a few over the air digital station transmits in 1080p in my area.. the rest are 720p or 480p on sub-channels. Just use a Rabbit ears Antenna to pick all of them up.
Are you sure that's not 1080i? I know L.A. stations can do 1080i, 720p, and SD.

It's 1080i, probably just misidentified by the software.

8. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 27, 2013, 18:39 Panickd

Ant wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 18:25:
Hmm, the tuner software I use says 1080p when I switch channels on the overlay.. I click station details on the channel list it says 1080i.. so I guess I'm not sure.

Actually a few over the air digital station transmits in 1080p in my area.. the rest are 720p or 480p on sub-channels. Just use a Rabbit ears Antenna to pick all of them up.
I am pretty sure none of the ATSC stations have 1080p.

Technically 1080p is part of the ATSC standard but limited to 30fps. That being said, there aren't currently any OTA broadcasters that send out 1080p signials in the US.

7. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 27, 2013, 18:25 Ant

I am pretty sure none of the ATSC stations have 1080p.

6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 27, 2013, 18:22 wtf_man

Microsoft blasts PC makers: It's YOUR fault Windows 8 crash landed.

...as Microsoft hits the afterburner towards irrelevancy.

5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 27, 2013, 18:19 Trashy

4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 27, 2013, 17:57 Ant

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo