Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4

An interview on IGN follows "The Long, Strange Journey of the Penny Arcade Game," talking with Zeboydís Robert Boyd and Bill Stiernberg about Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, the trilogy that once seemed like it would end after two episodes, and expanding on last summer's revelation that the series is now getting a fourth installment. The new version is coming to Windows and Xbox 360, and they have some screenshots, along with the following explanation:

We are also addressing linearity by providing a freely explorable overworld. Rain-Slick 3 took place entirely in one city, but Rain-Slick 4 takes place in an entirely new world, essentially. That gives us the freedom to really open up the game to a large and varied environment and let players explore. Secondly, Iím building the maps with a more open and interesting structure than I did in Rain-Slick 3. Our original Rain-Slick 3 game design called specifically for somewhat linear maps, and later when we revised the engine I was able to open the maps up a bit more. I donít want to produce convoluted, confusing maps either; so with Rain-Slick 4, I think Iíve found a good middle ground that allows players to explore a bit without getting confused. Combined with the free, open overworld and optional stuff weíre putting into the game world, I think itíll feel much less linear.

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4 Jan 28, 2013, 03:51 coldcut

Great news. I also thought I wouldn't like the third one, and I didn't touch it at all until recently. But then I played through the whole game in about two sessions, and I liked it a great deal. The only downside was that it was too short and too linear, even the monsters are fixed, there are no random encounters.

These guys also released free DLC I think for christmas, adding a new mini-episode, which was quite cool, but kind of short too.

I think they could have done a lot more with the game. Many enemy types only appeared a handful of times, then the next set of enemies appeared. With this announcement, here's hoping that the fourth installment will be just as good as I hope it will be

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4 Jan 27, 2013, 15:42 MattyC

ViRGE wrote on Jan 26, 2013, 17:46:
not all of us liked Chrono Trigger.

BURN THE HERETIC!

but I did prefer the style of 1 & 2. 3 wasn't without its own charm though.

2. Re: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4 Jan 26, 2013, 21:06 Orphic Resonance

ViRGE wrote on Jan 26, 2013, 17:46:
Chrono Trigger may have been a great 16 bit RPG, but not all of us liked Chrono Trigger.

imagine that!

1. Re: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4 Jan 26, 2013, 17:46 ViRGE

I loved the first two games, but I never could get into the 3rd. The shift to a 16 bit RPG after being a nice, casual 3D RPG was just too jarring. Chrono Trigger may have been a great 16 bit RPG, but not all of us liked Chrono Trigger.  

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo