Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DayZ Status Report

The DayZ Blog has an update on plans for a standalone game based on the DayZ zombie modification for Arma II (thanks VG247). This covers a broad variety of topics, and concludes with a handy summary of where things stand right now:

When is it releasing?

We don’t know. We’re going to take our time. I feel fantastic about the situation, more than ever I feel like we’re doing something really interesting with this development. Now is not the time to rush things, but we do need to ensure our pace is kept up. Our development blog and getting players in and testing as soon as possible will be key in ensuring we succeed in making this a great game.

Concluding words

At no point in development, have I been as excited as I am right now. The risks we took with the direction have paid off. The engine and approach of the game is now entirely DayZ’s own, it is striking out into it’s own territory as a project. This is very exciting for all the team.

I do need to caution though, it is a bad idea to overhype the project. We know that there are many challenges that we will face from deciding to effectively write a new engine tailored to DayZ. But we are now entirely confident, that this decision will prove to have been the best decision we could make. Now we will be able to make the game that we’ve all always wanted.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: DayZ Status Report Jan 28, 2013, 12:01 Dev

Snapdad wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 15:51:
Dev wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 12:29:
Why? There's been tons of sales of ARMA 2 with the game only being a mod, and an unfinished one at that. Some people would argue minecraft isn't much of a game either, and its sold millions. There's clearly a proven market out there for those kinda things.

Because Minecraft this is not.
No, but there's similarities. Both have a lot of openness. Both are survival type games. Both are very popular (while day z is a mod, arma 2 isn't, and many people have bought that specifically because of that mod).
A quick google shows that 1 million different people tried it in the first 4 months of release.
link

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: DayZ Status Report Jan 28, 2013, 00:27 Jivaro

Orphic Resonance wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 21:04:
And what magic crystal ball is showing you

wouldnt you like to know?

but anyways, havent you ever heard of "market saturation"?

look it up sometime

If there was such thing as market saturation with zombies....it would have happened a long time ago. They seem to simply go from popular to ridiculously popular and then back again. Books, movies, tv, games...all of it. Same with vampires, anti-hero cops, etc etc. Some things only go "so far" out of style.

If the game is good and they release during a smart time of year the game will sell just fine. If this was a game about killer bell-bottom jeans and giant head eating cans of hairspray, then perhaps they would have to worry about missing a popularity window of some sort.

Zombie game or not, I think survival games are only starting to carve out their niche in the gaming market. I am not a fan personally, but it sure seems like a lot of people like the gameplay style. It continues to astonish me the amount of "cold weather realism" mods for Skyrim, as an example. I personally don't see the fun in having to worry about death by hypothermia, but going by downloads and endorsements on Nexus it sure seems like there are plenty of people who really dig that element being added to gameplay. Zombies or not.

23. Re: DayZ Status Report Jan 27, 2013, 21:04 Orphic Resonance

And what magic crystal ball is showing you

wouldnt you like to know?

but anyways, havent you ever heard of "market saturation"?

look it up sometime

22. Re: DayZ Status Report Jan 27, 2013, 15:51 Snapdad

Why? There's been tons of sales of ARMA 2 with the game only being a mod, and an unfinished one at that. Some people would argue minecraft isn't much of a game either, and its sold millions. There's clearly a proven market out there for those kinda things.

Because Minecraft this is not.

21. Re: DayZ Status Report Jan 27, 2013, 14:32 Dades

PHJF wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 09:11:
The 'game' needs incentives to work together with people

The incentive is supposed to be to stay alive, but there's no real punishment for not doing so and years of extra lives, continues, and checkpoints have conditioned us not to really care.

As far as I could see the only incentive to staying alive was to kill the raging cockfags that did nothing but grief every other player... which was like... everybody I ever saw. Zombies were a backdrop to yet-another online shooter.

Pretty much this, the zombies became totally unimportant and were no real threat once you adjusted to the game mechanics. The griefing shitlords were the real problem.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

20. Re: DayZ Status Report Jan 27, 2013, 12:29 Dev

Orphic Resonance wrote on Jan 26, 2013, 20:27:
they are betting zombie fever will last forever? im betting it wont

better get this out sometime before end of next year
And what magic crystal ball is showing you that zombies will only last through the end of the year? They've been popular since before L4D which was like 5 years ago now. Zombie movies such as Resident Evil have been popular for over a decade now.
Snapdad wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 05:41:
What concerns me is how they're going to make a game out of this.

19. Re: DayZ Status Report Jan 27, 2013, 09:11 PHJF

The 'game' needs incentives to work together with people

The incentive is supposed to be to stay alive, but there's no real punishment for not doing so and years of extra lives, continues, and checkpoints have conditioned us not to really care.

As far as I could see the only incentive to staying alive was to kill the raging cockfags that did nothing but grief every other player... which was like... everybody I ever saw. Zombies were a backdrop to yet-another online shooter.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

18. Re: DayZ Status Report Jan 27, 2013, 08:35 JayDeath

Yeah, I'm really excited for this one but let them their time. I have no problem with that.
I have over 300 hours logged for the alpha and I've been playing a lot lately. The pking hasn't stopped at all, in fact I think It's gotten worse, if that's possible. I don't mind it so much as I find it challenging to hide from the bandits. I learn something new everytime I get killed by a bandit. Like, don't run across the field to Novy Sobor in the middle of the day because it's sniper city.

I wonder how the devs will curb the pking for the standalone, if that is even possible without changing gameplay too much.

Steam: Henry Krinkle

I want a new Brothers in Arms game!

17. Re: DayZ Status Report Jan 27, 2013, 07:12 Orphic Resonance

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 26, 2013, 22:24:
Oh, so you're another one likes to talk out of their ass about things they know nothing and feign to care nothing about? Good to know.

whatever you say, genius

16. Re: DayZ Status Report Jan 27, 2013, 07:11 Orphic Resonance

nin wrote on Jan 26, 2013, 22:26:
Oh, so you're another one likes to talk out of their ass about things they know nothing and feign to care nothing about? Good to know.

You know that's just ass captain, after his old account got banned, right?

this dumbshit wont get off my cock... claims hes got me on some ignore list but cant help talking shit about me any chance he gets

its pretty damn pathetic

15. they can relate much better to a mindless horde Jan 27, 2013, 07:08 Orphic Resonance

Dmitri_M wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 06:55:
The current DayZ gameplay has been possible since 2001.

but but but!!

ZOMBIEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!

14. Re: DayZ Status Report Jan 27, 2013, 06:55 Dmitri_M

The DayZ style freewheeling gameplay has been in OFP/ArmA for 10 years. Sure, we weren't playing with zombies but large scale military missions that involved running around, hit and running AI and "living off the land". DayZ without zombies. I have no expectations that they're make any real improvements to the engine. Nothing has changed over the years except incremental updates to the graphics engine. The current DayZ gameplay has been possible since 2001.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2013, 07:05.

13. Re: DayZ Status Report Jan 27, 2013, 05:41 Snapdad

What concerns me is how they're going to make a game out of this. I've been playing it for a long while now and I've resorted to doing things that entertain me out of sheer boredom. Finding high population servers and just using a hatchet to hunt people, barrel rolling helicopters... There's no incentive to prevent death. You die and you just come back into the world and start 'forest runner 3.0' all over again. You spawn in and get sniped by someone and you just do it all again. The 'game' needs incentives to work together with people, or to share survival, or to share accomplishments, like getting a vehicle up and running or something... it simply needs something, maybe a lot of things, to make it into a compelling game. I have yet to see anything from the team to indicate that they're working on something to alleviate those fears of mine, which is a shame.  

12. Re: DayZ Status Report Jan 26, 2013, 22:26 nin

You know that's just ass captain, after his old account got banned, right?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11. Re: DayZ Status Report Jan 26, 2013, 22:24 Whiskers

I don't blame Bohemia for throwing all their eggs into this basket since it sold tons of copies of Arma 2. The engine updates seem nice. I'm hoping they come up with a way to encourage teamwork and not just have PvP with zombies in the background.

Might help if there wasn't an M4 with 200 rounds in every shed and food everywhere. The whole "survival" aspect (outside of other people) went to the wayside pretty quickly in terms of finding resources to survive when there is "loot" in abundance all the time.

10. Re: DayZ Status Report Jan 26, 2013, 22:24 jacobvandy

The entire post, nay, the entire blog in question here is about the "new game," the standalone release of DayZ. (Reading comprehension, much?) They stopped updating the mod months ago, leaving that instead to community volunteers. The "new engine," which is really just a heavily-modified ARMA 2 engine because that is what all the developers have intimate knowledge of, is pretty much already done. Hence their recent initiation of internal testing of the game, in preparation for the invite-only closed alpha test that will precede the public alpha release in the coming months. He is specifically modeling their development cycle after Minecraft, with a paid alpha release that will be continuously updated until they're satisfied enough to call it finished.

9. Re: DayZ Status Report Jan 26, 2013, 21:26 Orphic Resonance

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 26, 2013, 21:11:
Well, if you had read the actual post, you'd have seen him talk about stuff they're going to be adding to the already-released game down the road, in his words "at the end of the year." The first release will be within the next 2-3 months.

i dont care about the actual post, why would i read it?

also, it sounds like you are talking about updates.. not the new game they are making a new engine for... so... your point would be irrelevant anyway

8. Re: DayZ Status Report Jan 26, 2013, 21:11 jacobvandy

Well, if you had read the actual post, you'd have seen him talk about stuff they're going to be adding to the already-released game down the road, in his words "at the end of the year." The first release will be within the next 2-3 months.  

7. Re: DayZ Status Report Jan 26, 2013, 20:27 Orphic Resonance

We don’t know. We’re going to take our time. I feel fantastic about the situation, more than ever I feel like we’re doing something really interesting with this development. Now is not the time to rush things

they are betting zombie fever will last forever? im betting it wont

better get this out sometime before end of next year

6. Re: DayZ Status Report Jan 26, 2013, 20:04 |oR|jonvall

We know that there are many challenges that we will face from deciding to effectively write a new engine tailored to DayZ. But we are now entirely confident, that this decision will prove to have been the best decision we could make. Now we will be able to make the game that we’ve all always wanted.

I have to agree with that! The ARMA 2 engine sucked for this type of game....hell...it sucked for the ARMA 2 type of game too!

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo