Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Some sort of glitch on the server prevented last night's news update from showing up, sorry about that. You may have noticed the comment counts were not updating, as this stemmed from the same issue. I have carried over the content of the missing update into today's news so that it didn't end up buried (the news posted briefly with last nights timestamps when the glitch was fixed, so you weren't seeing things if you happened to notice that).

For the record, here's the Link of the Day from last night by way of nin: The Shining original ending: Read the screenplay for Stanley Kubrick’s lost hospital scene.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Storm Ops 3.
Media: Why film cameras are better than digital cameras.
Ordering a pizza using a talking computer, Dec 4, 1974.
Matt Damon gets revenge on Jimmy Kimmel.
Follow-up: Star Wars Is Being Kick-Started with Dynamite. Thanks nin.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2013, 17:12 nin

Is Fringe any good? I heard its ending soon but I've never seen any of it.

Ended last Friday (or maybe the one before)? I've only seen the first 3 seasons (need to crack open 4 and 5 is out in May on disc), but from what I've seen, it's fantastic.

If you have NF or amazon streaming, some of the earlier seasons should be available to stream, if you want to try it out.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2013, 15:16 Dades

Orphic Resonance wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 06:24:
i suppose its better than deus ex machina with zero explanation, a la Lost.. the writers couldnt figure out a way to wrap it all up so they left it hanging "for the audience to decide!!!!!" so they wouldnt have to

Lost was a such a copout. They sold the audience on the mystery elements then chickened out when they wrote themselves into a corner again and again, ending the show with a "its all about the characters!!!" excuse. It kills me that people actually defend their choices too, as if people are unreasonable in wanting some answers to their years of shitty cliffhangers.

Is Fringe any good? I heard its ending soon but I've never seen any of it.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

13. Re: Why film cameras are better... Jan 27, 2013, 09:15 Mr. Tact

The pitch is basically for computer intimidated seniors. It isn't an unreasonable pitch, I'm pretty sure there are many seniors (millions?) who don't use computers. My question is, are there plentiful places available to get film development any longer? Didn't Walmart stop doing it? If I needed to get film developed I'm not sure where I would go.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2013, 06:24 Orphic Resonance

Redmask wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 00:26:
Luke will find a polar bear scratching numbers into a hatch on a tropical island.

yeh did you watch that show Fringe that JJ produced? it ended with the exact same idea as the Star Trek movie he did...

i mean, dude - fucking get over this time traveling deus ex machina shit already

i suppose its better than deus ex machina with zero explanation, a la Lost.. the writers couldnt figure out a way to wrap it all up so they left it hanging "for the audience to decide!!!!!" so they wouldnt have to

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2013, 05:27 Buckermann

Why film cameras are better than digital cameras.
I honestly thought at first that this was a satire, because nothing in that advertisement makes any sense AT ALL.
But alas, it's real (though almost 2 1/2 years old)

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2013, 05:48.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2013, 00:26 Redmask

Orphic Resonance wrote on Jan 26, 2013, 19:41:
now we know how the new star wars will end - it was all an alternate dimension, and they just have to time travel back before everything bad happened

Luke will find a polar bear scratching numbers into a hatch on a tropical island.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2013, 22:00 sauron

Cutter wrote on Jan 26, 2013, 18:28:
so I just got an alpha invite to Neverwinter. Whilst I don't hold out much hope for it anymore since PWE got involved I'm still curious to see how the Foundry will be for it and if it'll be possible to make some good modules at any rate.

I'm actually pretty psyched that NWN2 just arrived on GOG. Never managed to catch up with all that content since I tend to hang out in MMOs.

The original campaign was rather generic (played it), but maybe this will be the time I finally get to see all the great add-ons and mods (of which I have heard there are many!).

Kittens!

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2013, 19:41 Orphic Resonance

now we know how the new star wars will end - it was all an alternate dimension, and they just have to time travel back before everything bad happened  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2013, 19:14 1badmf

nin wrote on Jan 26, 2013, 17:52:
A JJ Abrams SW movie might be pretty good. I'd give it a chance anyway.

I'm absolutely psyched, to the point that I'm trying to keep realistic expectations. After ESB, I think George stepping away could be the best thing to happen to SW. Hopefully it can spread it's wings and we can put this whole "womens razor that can detect midichlorians" and clunky dialogue ("Are you an angel?!?!") behind us.

edit: AH-hahahahaha!

yeah... fuck lindelof. fuck him up his stupid ass. he only got in the business cuz he was bros with abrams, but as lost and brometheus proved, he's a no talent wannabe hack.

pretty optimistic now that he's out of the picture. abrams has a solid sense of action and character driven drama. with kasdan on board hopefully it won't suck space balls. heheh. space balls.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2013, 19:02 jdreyer

@nin. Yeah JJ is a very solid choice for director. At this point I'm more worried about the script. Even so I imagine JJ doing rewrites on the set if he's not happy with it.

@ Cutter. There's a new Neverwinter game? Off to do some reading...

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2013, 18:59 Hoop

Starwars needs needs to return to the intimacy of the first movies, start with a pared down script & hire mainly no-name actors. Cut down the Lucas driven expansive overblown universe filled with "stars".

Um .. Behind you...

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2013, 18:28 Cutter

so I just got an alpha invite to Neverwinter. Whilst I don't hold out much hope for it anymore since PWE got involved I'm still curious to see how the Foundry will be for it and if it'll be possible to make some good modules at any rate.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2013, 17:52 nin

I'm absolutely psyched, to the point that I'm trying to keep realistic expectations. After ESB, I think George stepping away could be the best thing to happen to SW. Hopefully it can spread it's wings and we can put this whole "womens razor that can detect midichlorians" and clunky dialogue ("Are you an angel?!?!") behind us.

edit: AH-hahahahaha!

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 2013, 17:59.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2013, 17:50 Mr. Tact

Blue wrote on Jan 26, 2013, 16:07:
You may have noticed the comment counts were not updating, as this stemmed from the same issue.
Yep, I noticed. Nice to know it wasn't my PC's fault this time.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2013, 16:45 Silicon Avatar

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo