Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode

Maxis creative director Ocean Quigley tweets about how many regions players will be able to own in the upcoming SimCity reboot: "You can have up to 10 regions (in total, regardless of whether they're private or shared with other players)" (thanks Joao). Also, Destructoid has details on how the game will have about 18 different visual filters, saying the developers are taking particular mercy on those (like myself) with color vision deficiencies: "Depending upon your form of colorblindness, you have different transforms. If you are red-green colorblind, you don't have much sensitivity in the red-green range. So what I've had to do for that is to pull some of the stuff that would normally be merged together into the blue channel and to pop the contrast on red and green as much as possible so that people that have some limited sensitivity to red green can still see what's going on," Ocean Quigley explains. "These transforms are collectively called daltonism. So we've done basically those transforms for the three most common forms of colorblindness." On a related note, there are hands-on previews of the game based on a few hours with the beta on Computer and Video Games, IGN, Kotaku, PC Gamer, and Shacknews.

View
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

16. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 13:54 Dev

Creston wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 13:50:
Sadly, enough people will mindlessly buy this to defend EA's decision to basically destroy a great franchise.
Which is why they are doing it. They will make money at doing so. Since so many people nowadays are into casual or mobile games, expectations have shifted. And sim city gamers on average are probably so not so much the hardcore gamer types (or at least thats what EA is counting on).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 13:50 Creston

PC Gamer did a preview of it, and the city size is truly beyond pathetic. (Blue even linked it. Go read it.) It's not even the size of an old Simcity 4 neighborhood. You barely have room to put up ANYTHING.

Sadly, enough people will mindlessly buy this to defend EA's decision to basically destroy a great franchise.

Creston

14. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 13:43 Verno

wtf_man wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 09:55:
Unfortunately, probably around the same amount of lemmings that bought Diablo 3 will buy this. Wall

Why? Simcity is a decent brand name but I don't think it will move Diablo 3 numbers. Although I guess to be fair there is a big Blahville type market these days but most of those people are on Apples platforms now.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

13. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 13:10 ASeven

Other than the colorbling mode, it's as if with each new announcement EA is determined in having absolutely nobody buy this.  

12. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 13:00 Dev

I admire them doing something like that for color blind people. And there the admiration stops.

Seriously, EVERY game (video games and board games) should have allowances made for color blind. Its over 10% of the male population. Most of the time its fairly simple too. Like on board games, ticket to ride is a very well designed game for color blind. The tracks and cards have symbols on them. This is something that doesn't impede non-color blind play and most of them miss that each symbol is different for a different color.
And if tweaks to a video game is as simple as offering an optional transform button in the configuration that doesn't impede non colorblind play, why the heck don't more games offer it?

No, I'm not colorblind, but I've seen how things look from the view of those that are.

11. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 10:09 eRe4s3r

JaguarUSF wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 09:42:
Good thing being colorblind requires you to have a constant internet connection.

I gladly take always online when all my regions are constantly updated and simulated (as in, they commute, properly). It was the main, fatal, game breaking flaw of Sim City 4. It was what made me completely stop playing it, because there is no point to make more than 1 large region. As soon as you zone out of it, and play in Region 2, everything is just a statistical value that affects statistics. Nothing is actually simulated in SC4 as soon as you exit a region. The world-view is just a dead empty husk. Pretty picture, 0 substance.

Anyhow, for me Sim City 2000 was the best ^^ and everything after that was.. mediocre. Sim City 4 just looked pretty, but it did as many things wrong as it did right.

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 2013, 10:26.

10. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 10:00 InBlack

nin wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 09:57:
InBlack wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 09:55:
I wonder if those reviewers went home to spend hours sobbing and scrubbing in the shower after writing that filth....Sometimes, just sometimes I feel sorry for them...

Probably too busy drinking mt dew and eating doritos.

Rofl...

I have a nifty blue line!

9. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 09:58 InBlack

wtf_man wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 09:55:
Unfortunately, probably around the same amount of lemmings that bought Diablo 3 will buy this. Wall

Thats a little unfair. Diablo3 looked much more promising (on paper) than this version of Simcity.

8. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 09:57 nin

InBlack wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 09:55:
I wonder if those reviewers went home to spend hours sobbing and scrubbing in the shower after writing that filth....Sometimes, just sometimes I feel sorry for them...

Probably too busy drinking mt dew and eating doritos.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 09:55 InBlack

6. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 09:55 wtf_man

5. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 09:52 nin

I have no idea why anyone would support this, when it sounds like a step backwards from the previous game in virtually every way.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 09:51 eRe4s3r

As someone who is red/green weak I think this is something ALL developers should always think about.. so kudos to them  

3. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 09:49 zombiefan

Thanks for putting more limits in your game. Can't have a city larger than a certain size, can't have more than 10 regions, can't have previous features incorporated into the series. I love you, Sim City, but you've changed. And I don't think I want to be with you anymore.  

2. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 09:43 InBlack

Jesus H. Christ, the gushing reviews are just fucking disgusting. The effort of putting so much positive spin on what are negatives must have been herculean. KUDOS!  

1. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 09:42 JaguarUSF

Good thing being colorblind requires you to have a constant internet connection.  

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo