Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode

Maxis creative director Ocean Quigley tweets about how many regions players will be able to own in the upcoming SimCity reboot: "You can have up to 10 regions (in total, regardless of whether they're private or shared with other players)" (thanks Joao). Also, Destructoid has details on how the game will have about 18 different visual filters, saying the developers are taking particular mercy on those (like myself) with color vision deficiencies: "Depending upon your form of colorblindness, you have different transforms. If you are red-green colorblind, you don't have much sensitivity in the red-green range. So what I've had to do for that is to pull some of the stuff that would normally be merged together into the blue channel and to pop the contrast on red and green as much as possible so that people that have some limited sensitivity to red green can still see what's going on," Ocean Quigley explains. "These transforms are collectively called daltonism. So we've done basically those transforms for the three most common forms of colorblindness." On a related note, there are hands-on previews of the game based on a few hours with the beta on Computer and Video Games, IGN, Kotaku, PC Gamer, and Shacknews.

View
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

36. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 22:04 eRe4s3r

Why would anyone write anything positive, apart from "hope it's gonna be good" ? I will go at it with an open mind but until I actually get to play it, I can't exactly say "zis guys are totally wrong".. I have the game pre-ordered for a hugely awesome deal at GMG and that is my stake in this, I actually paid 60% less for it than for games I genuinely hated just 2 hours after buying, so already I don't hate it ;p. So whatever, in this case I don't care for online only, If they do it right, online connected city building could be pretty damn awesome. I play RPG's offline, but I haven't ever seen a good online city builder so why not, I certainly hated Sim City 4 more than I liked it, (Commuters? Whats that!)... anyway, point being, all people got right now is to bash what they can judge is there, and yeah... what's there is not exactly inspiring....

By the way, the 1h per city beta they host, is exactly to test server performance to make sure everything works on launch, 1 hour limitation is to force people to play to the region max and see how the multi region performance and interaction works in a high load situation.

Point being, don't read these threads before the game is actually playable, because until then nobody is gonna post opinions about proven facts. Because there are none.

Heck the 1hour beta only just started. And I didn't get a key.. whatever

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 21:35 Sepharo

These guys got all scientific about their color-blindness mode... At my work we just call over a few color blind employees and ask if they can tell the difference between elements  

34. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 21:32 Sepharo

Because this isn't a forum (though there is one) people typically leave comments about a game on its latest news item and the comments don't always pertain exactly to the news.

Things that people are concerned about:
-Always online
-Small cities
-Performance

You could've left it at, "I'm optimistically excited despite what the rest of you are concerned about." But you had to throw some crazy sans-capitals rant in there and now no one is going to take you seriously.

edit: Oops, don't know why I bothered. Your whole shtick here, from post #1 and on, has been the same. Keep on keepin on anti-hater rant guy.

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 2013, 21:41.

33. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 21:17 Slick

honestly i have to stop reading the comments section on this website, it's just too depressing.

i'm really excited for this game. lord have mercy, saying this on a video game website is sure to net me a lot of hate i know, but goddamnit with every bit of media that comes through the cracks i get more and more excited. (i probably secretly work for EA)

i'm only worried as to stability issues if you read the kotaku article, but i have faith it'll all work out, this will be bigger than the sims. But i can see launch day being iffy at best.

the way this real simulation engine works is just awe-inspiring, seems to have something i've always thought missing from other "city builders". been playing some anno 2070 lately, and it just can't hold my attention. this new cim city looks like crack, i'm going to love whole weeks of my life to this game i can tell.

also, to all the haters on here, buzz off, no one wants to hear your anti-ea hyperbole bullshit nonsense. it's an article about how the lead visual designer has made modes to help people who are colorblind. and yet somehow you spin this into OOH EVIL EA STRIKES AGAIN! NOBODY CAN SAVE THIS FROM EA EVIL BLA BLA BLA. dumb-ass rhetoric. you guys really do make yourselves out to be knobs when you can't even stick to the issue at hand.

Obama is trying to get uninsured people access to healthcare, HE'S HITLER! OMG ITS COMMUNIST STALIN! IT'S HITLER-STALIN! OMGOMGOMG seriously take a deep breath and come at me with some reasoned logic and tempered reason, and you'll have an audience, until then flock off.

32. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 19:37 DangerDog

after looking at that preview on PC Gamer I'm not interested in this even if it were free.

how did they go from Sim City to Sim Smallville?

31. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 19:18 ASeven

NKD wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 14:05:
ASeven wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 13:10:
Other than the colorbling mode, it's as if with each new announcement EA is determined in having absolutely nobody [b]from Blue's News[/b] buy this.

Fixed. And then like with most EA titles, it gets a zillion sales. Not much can be done about that.

You mean like Medal of Honor: Warfighter had a zillion sales?

Oh wait.

30. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 19:15 entr0py

Somehow I don't buy their claim that they limited city sizes that drastically due to client side performance issues. I suspect it's really a decision made based on their online business model; either because their servers can't handle tons of big cities, or they don't want for cities to be independent and self-sufficient.

29. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 19:13 The Half Elf

Anyone else read the Kotaku article? Servers had to be recycled because people couldn't play the game.

As much as I'd love to play this game there is no way in hell I'm playing a always online game when it's all based on internet connection, and that EA has a history of pulling the plug on servers.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

28. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 18:47 jdreyer

@ Quboid, there's been a lot of speculation, so I'd love to hear your experience once you get your copy.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

27. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 18:43 eRe4s3r

Panickd wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 14:00:
Dev wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 13:00:
I admire them doing something like that for color blind people. And there the admiration stops.

Seriously, EVERY game (video games and board games) should have allowances made for color blind. Its over 10% of the male population. Most of the time its fairly simple too. Like on board games, ticket to ride is a very well designed game for color blind. The tracks and cards have symbols on them. This is something that doesn't impede non-color blind play and most of them miss that each symbol is different for a different color.
And if tweaks to a video game is as simple as offering an optional transform button in the configuration that doesn't impede non colorblind play, why the heck don't more games offer it?

No, I'm not colorblind, but I've seen how things look from the view of those that are.

Battlefield 3 has a colorblind mode that changed the color of the player markers. I used it even though I'm not color blind because it made the symbols pop more and they were way easier to see than the regular ones.

I am using that too and totally agree. All games should be REQUIRED to have a colorblind mode.

26. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 17:04 Quboid

It's not impossible that those who previewed it actually liked it. It's certainly not impossible that those who have played it know more about it than us. I don't trust previews, or even most reviews, but I don't automatically assume everyone is corrupt because that'll be self-fulfilling.

The same old assumptions are being made - it's dumbed down, it's casual. From everything I've read, it looks like a more detailed simulation, going by how resources are tracked within a city and within a region. It could be like Civ5 all over again, people are focussed on minor things (happiness is per-nation not per-city) and fail to see how it has much more depth (1UPT, promotions) it has than previous games.

The city in the PC Gamer preview is much too small, that's certainly a worry. I'd trade city size for simulation depth but of course, I'd like to have both. My biggest complaint in this regard isn't that the size is limited now (it's not like they're limiting the size just to piss us off), but in 5 years our computers will be able to handle much more. Of course, by then their servers will have been switched off and we're screwed, which is my biggest problem with always-online. I choose when I play, not you EA, Ubi or whoever.

I bought it before I knew about the always-online component. If I'd known, I wouldn't have. The cities look too small also. However, aside from these, I'm looking forward to this and I honestly think it looks excellent. And no, I'm not being paid to say that. But if EA offers, hey, I'll whore myself out for a few bucks and the first of 454 DLC packs free.

- Quboid

25. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 16:12 FloorPie

Creston wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 13:50:
PC Gamer did a preview of it, and the city size is truly beyond pathetic. (Blue even linked it. Go read it.) It's not even the size of an old Simcity 4 neighborhood. You barely have room to put up ANYTHING.

Sadly, enough people will mindlessly buy this to defend EA's decision to basically destroy a great franchise.

Creston

Specifically, page 5 of their preview... and yeah, about the size of SC4 neighborhoods. Truly pathetic. Oh well, I had no real interest in it with the online requirement. Blizz has cured me of that insanity.

24. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 15:52 Dev

JoeNapalm wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 15:33:
A PREview is not a REview.

Previews are part of the hype machine. If you don't want a sickening love-fest, I recommend doing what I do - don't read previews. They are a marketing tool, not a critique.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist
Correct. And I've seen even the big sites/magazines admit that they downplay/ignore any negatives in previews, on the assumption that they will be fixed/improved by the time the game is released.

23. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 15:33 JoeNapalm

Not to defend EA (*shudder*) or previews, but bitching that a PREVIEW is not critical of a yet-to-be-released game, to the point of many of you even calling them "reviews"...that's just silly.

A PREview is not a REview.

Previews are part of the hype machine. If you don't want a sickening love-fest, I recommend doing what I do - don't read previews. They are a marketing tool, not a critique.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

22. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 14:59 Crustacean Soup

Panickd wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 14:00:
Battlefield 3 has a colorblind mode that changed the color of the player markers. I used it even though I'm not color blind because it made the symbols pop more and they were way easier to see than the regular ones.

That was a really necessary addition too. I've got the most common color deficiency (a weak red-green color blindness), and with colorblind mode off the pale red and pale green markers are often completely indistinguishable.

I haven't heard of any games going as far as it sounds like SimCity is with that though. It's pretty cool.

21. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 14:41 Verno

NKD wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 14:05:
Other than the colorbling mode, it's as if with each new announcement EA is determined in having absolutely nobody [b]from Blue's News[/b] buy this.

Fixed. And then like with most EA titles, it gets a zillion sales. Not much can be done about that.

Bluesnews is so bluesnews, blearghgh! Rolleyes

I am not so sure SimCity game has the broad consumer appeal to sell well when compared to something like The Sims, which has obvious broad appeal. I guess we'll see.

Yeah I think it will depend on the marketing and just how many casuals still care about Sims stuff since it seems like that is the market they're shooting for here. I definitely do not see its success as a foregone conclusion or something though, plenty of EA games underperform, they aren't bulletproof.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

20. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 14:22 avianflu

I am not so sure SimCity game has the broad consumer appeal to sell well when compared to something like The Sims, which has obvious broad appeal. I guess we'll see.  

19. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 14:05 NKD

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

18. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 14:03 nin

Other than the colorbling mode, it's as if with each new announcement EA is determined in having absolutely nobody buy this.

Pretty much!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 14:00 Panickd

Dev wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 13:00:
I admire them doing something like that for color blind people. And there the admiration stops.

Seriously, EVERY game (video games and board games) should have allowances made for color blind. Its over 10% of the male population. Most of the time its fairly simple too. Like on board games, ticket to ride is a very well designed game for color blind. The tracks and cards have symbols on them. This is something that doesn't impede non-color blind play and most of them miss that each symbol is different for a different color.
And if tweaks to a video game is as simple as offering an optional transform button in the configuration that doesn't impede non colorblind play, why the heck don't more games offer it?

No, I'm not colorblind, but I've seen how things look from the view of those that are.

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo