Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Gamasutra - PC is not dead and mobile is shit (with Charts!).
Well the article title says it all: PC is not dead and mobile is shit.

Of course I make a certain type of game and the market is more geared up to sell PC copies of those, and indies releasing PC games on Steam certainly find they can do pretty well on there too compared to other platforms. Other developers are having great success on mobile - good for them. But I would urge caution in the mobile market. It's HUGELY over-saturated and hard to get noticed. I got my existing games ported to mobile as a low-risk approach, but there are teams of developers out there spending 6-12 months on mobile games and I personally think that's a recipe for disaster in most cases.

Looking at my numbers, perhaps I'd be best sticking to PC only? Putting all my energy into that and not buying expensive Macs (and constantly upgrading the OS and Xcode, and farting around with provisioning profiles and certificates) and not buying an ever growing army of mobile devices to test on. Most devs have a PC anyway, even if they just play games on it! For me anyway, PC is the clear winner.

View
15. Re: Op Ed Jan 26, 2013, 18:16 Quboid

NetHead wrote on Jan 26, 2013, 14:14:
The PC is not dead, well thanks for that information.

Seriously anyone who said "PC is not dead" is a moron. It's like running around saying "They sky is not falling on our heads", really thanks for the news flash, now go put corks on your forks before you stab yourself in the face, or not.

It looks like the same sensationalist hit-magnet stuff that comes by every so often. This time it's sensationalised in our favour (as PC gamers, although many of us of consoles/smartphones/etc) but still bullshit.

- Quboid
Previous Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Jan 25, 09:44 Re: Op Ed InBlack
  2. Jan 25, 09:52  Re: Op Ed Kajetan
  3. Jan 25, 10:21  Re: Op Ed sauron
  5. Jan 25, 13:05  Re: Op Ed LesCaster
  12. Jan 25, 14:52  Re: Op Ed JeffD
  4. Jan 25, 10:39 Re: Op Ed wtf_man
  6. Jan 25, 13:31  Re: Op Ed Orogogus
  9. Jan 25, 13:45   Re: Op Ed 4D-Boxing
  7. Jan 25, 13:33 Re: Op Ed jdreyer