Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The cold snap hereabouts is getting worse, rather than better, with the temps frequently below zero when the wind chill is taken into account. Seems like this going to be the case all weekend, and there is snow in the forecast for later on top of all this, so I am determined to pick up some meat and crank out some chili as a way of adding a little internal fire to our efforts at staying warm. On the other hand, the doggies are in heaven, and spending a ridiculous amount of time in the backyard... Hudson the wonder dog in particular slows down a lot in the summer, and the colder it gets, the happier she is, and this recent freeze has her acting like a puppy.

Frosty Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Soul Shift.
Science: Neil DeGrasse Tyson- science funding can “guarantee your economic future”.
Scientists discover how pet dogs evolved from wolves.
Media: Everything Wrong With Avatar In 4 Minutes Or Less. Thanks Ant.
Comfy Couch. NSFW.
Beatboxing Goat.
Follow-up: Video of stunt plane barely missing two people prompts FAA probe. Thanks nin.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2013, 14:30 xXBatmanXx

Jivaro wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 14:18:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 14:07:
Wife and I did something rare yesterday - went to a movie. Was a nice 12:50pm movie - only people in the theater. We saw Gangster Squad. We both enjoyed it, then had a really nice early supper at a local restaurant.

My wife and I only do matinees, but then again the cinema we go to is a local small business type that has a full restaurant and bar that can serve food and beer before and during the movie. You can sit on couches, recliners, or at dining room type tables as well as seating that resembles typical cinema fair. We really dig the place but it is really popular on the weekends and evenings so matinees make the most sense. Glad to hear Gangster Squad was good, we have been considering going to seeing it.

Yea, it is Untouchables with a different back story. Instead of Chicago, it is LA.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2013, 14:18 Jivaro

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 14:07:
Wife and I did something rare yesterday - went to a movie. Was a nice 12:50pm movie - only people in the theater. We saw Gangster Squad. We both enjoyed it, then had a really nice early supper at a local restaurant.

My wife and I only do matinees, but then again the cinema we go to is a local small business type that has a full restaurant and bar that can serve food and beer before and during the movie. You can sit on couches, recliners, or at dining room type tables as well as seating that resembles typical cinema fair. We really dig the place but it is really popular on the weekends and evenings so matinees make the most sense. Glad to hear Gangster Squad was good, we have been considering going to seeing it.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2013, 14:14 nin

We saw Gangster Squad.

I got that one in the NF queue. Lookin forward to it...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2013, 14:07 xXBatmanXx

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2013, 13:30 Ahumado

Warmed up here but I am about 400 miles east of you. To cold for your wife's grill.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2013, 13:08 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 10:43:
I don't think Avatar was as bad as Verno wants to make it out to be, but it certainly wasn't great cinema. I think of it as "pop entertainment" much like "pop music". Fun to listen to/watch occasionally, but nothing for the history books. The Twilight movies aren't as bad as so many make them out to be either. I was a bit surprised at how little "teen romance" was in them based on their reputation. Once again, they fit the "pop entertainment" role. But whatever, to each their own...

Hey man, you have your opinion, I have mine and to me it is a legit bad movie with good movie clothes on It just had the fortune of having a huge financial backer. The visuals were incredible but a movie is more than its visual presentation. The story was a mishmash of boringly relatable concepts, the villains were downright cartoony and I couldn't get into any of the characters to the point that I can't even name one. I didn't even find the action particularly stirring and I'm a Cameron nut.

I used to think it was just an average film with great visuals but I rewatched it recently and a second viewing only made its negatives stand out more now that I wasn't entranced by the great CGI.

Comparing it to Tyler Perry films and Twilight is really below the belt Verno, did we watch the same movie?

I was comparing it to other movies I consider bad with a large box office gross.

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 2013, 13:31.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2013, 13:07 Ratty

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 10:43:
I don't think Avatar was as bad as Verno wants to make it out to be, but it certainly wasn't great cinema. I think of it as "pop entertainment" much like "pop music". Fun to listen to/watch occasionally, but nothing for the history books. The Twilight movies aren't as bad as so many make them out to be either. I was a bit surprised at how little "teen romance" was in them based on their reputation. Once again, they fit the "pop entertainment" role. But whatever, to each their own...
I'm a fan of escapist entertainment as much (more than) anyone. But Avatar was so heavy-handed it bothered even me. The corporate bad guys were so over the top absurdly evil. Might as well have stuck black hats on them all while they were at it. There were zero shades of gray in the movie, not a hint of moral ambiguity. I have no desire to ever watch it a second time.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2013, 12:55 sauron

InBlack wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 10:37:
Its good to know that Sauron works with brains and spinal coloumns, Im sure it has nothing to do with coercing humans or orcs to do His will...

...or turning fluffy kittens to the dark side, mwahahahaha.

Kittens!

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2013, 12:55 1badmf

InBlack wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 10:37:
Its good to know that Sauron works with brains and spinal coloumns, Im sure it has nothing to do with coercing humans or orcs to do His will...
it's said that the orcs were originally created by corrupting some of the first elves. how else do you think him and his buddy morgoth accomplished this? magic? pshaaa.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2013, 10:43 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2013, 10:37 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2013, 10:27 sauron

Good article on Neil Degrasse Tyson's speech. A lot of it is true - government can fund basic science like nobody else. Other organizations always have a specific goal - curing a disease or making money.

Interestingly, the NIH has deliberately shifted towards translational research over the last 5 years. That means research focused on addressing human disease. For people like me, that's fine since I work on diseases of the brain and spinal cord. But if I was working on fly or worm development or something basic, I'd be in trouble.

You may not think that fly and worm development are very important, but most of the genes we know about today that are linked to human disease originally came from exactly those studies. It just takes a while for the studies to go from flies, to mice, to humans.

Kittens!

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2013, 09:52 Linthat22

Blue why aren't you enjoying the snow? Here in SW MI we just got out of single digit temps and we're now in the teens, it's so awesome!!

And our pups love it as well. Except we found out that when it was 6 degrees outside with a wind chill of -12, they did not enjoy our 2 mile evening walk.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2013, 09:52 InBlack

I thought Avatar was actually a pretty good film. Sure it was a rehash of Pocahantas basically and was unoriginal to the extreme but it was well acted, the script was solid, the dialogue believable, the action scenes well crafted which propelled the movie forward and the characters were likeable.

In short a typical James Cameron film. It sure as hell was better than Titanic and MUCH better than any action Sci-Fi flick of the last decade (other than District9)

Comparing it to Tyler Perry films and Twilight is really below the belt Verno, did we watch the same movie?

I have a nifty blue line!

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2013, 09:40 Verno

The only thing I remember about Avatar was the insulting "white man saves the natives" storyline and they actually had an alloy called "unobtainium" which I'm sure they thought was whip cracking self aware irony but in reality falls totally flat. It was just a bad movie that proved any bad movie can make a billion dollars with enough marketing and a big name attached. See also: Tyler Perry films, Twilight, etc.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2013, 09:24 nin

Hudson the wonder dog in particular slows down a lot in the summer, and the colder it gets, the happier she is, and this recent freeze has her acting like a puppy.

I wasn't familiar with this, but Schoep's FB page (aka that dog in the water) seems to outline the same thing. Now that it's snowing, that dog is bouncing around everywhere.

Bonus points for snow pics of the pups, Blue. They're awful cute, and we've not seen them lately.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo