Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Chivalry - Medieval Warfare Free Weekend; Sale

The official website for Chivalry - Medieval Warfare announces that this melee combat game is free to play all weekend on Steam, where the game is also on sale at a 50% discount. Word is:

Sharpen your swords and steel your hearts for Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is now FREE on Steam for this weekend only! With a huge content update planned to release soon, now is the best time to get your friends into a medieval bloodbath as the game is also 50% off until Monday at 10am PST! Prove your worth as a warrior and take to the fields in search of glory. In plain English, go play right now, its completely free and already waiting for you in your Steam My Games list.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Chivalry - Medieval Warfare Free Weekend; Sale Jan 26, 2013, 19:38 Crustacean Soup

Ant wrote on Jan 26, 2013, 14:27:
Weird. I came home and retried the game again. It worked. No weird colors. Maybe leaving the game on for over five hours overnight (was downloading and told Steam to go ahead and automatically launch it) was a bad idea.

However, the advanced training guy got stuck after talking to me. Is there a way to skip the beginning training and go to the advanced one?

Err, you might be able to do "ce telly" in the console after the initial chat from the guy at the start (as soon as it says "Press RMB to block"), assuming the LDs left that debug command in.

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 26, 2013, 14:15:
I kept turning down graphical settings hoping it was just my older comp, but nothing seemed to help it. It played fine through the tutorial, and I had 40-50 ping on the two servers I tried.

Framerate, or a networking/server thing? 40-50 ms is usually fine networking-wise. The content update has optimizations that help quite a bit with framerate on older computers, including making low detail more aggressive in removing things, and adding an adjustable ragdoll timer/limit, and other things. Unfortunately we missed getting that out before the free weekend, though one can switch over to the beta (right click on the game in the Steam library, Properties, Betas...)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Chivalry - Medieval Warfare Free Weekend; Sale Jan 26, 2013, 14:27 Ant

Weird. I came home and retried the game again. It worked. No weird colors. Maybe leaving the game on for over five hours overnight (was downloading and told Steam to go ahead and automatically launch it) was a bad idea.

However, the advanced training guy got stuck after talking to me. Is there a way to skip the beginning training and go to the advanced one?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

21. Re: Chivalry - Medieval Warfare Free Weekend; Sale Jan 26, 2013, 14:15 MoreLuckThanSkill

I tried this out last night... not sure if it was the servers, or the game itself, but it was choppy with poor hit detection, and generally felt sluggish.

I kept turning down graphical settings hoping it was just my older comp, but nothing seemed to help it. It played fine through the tutorial, and I had 40-50 ping on the two servers I tried.

I'd swing at people, and kill the guy behind me. This is on an archer, with the small dagger they get. Archery was kind of amusing, but Mount & Blade blows this game out of the water as far as hit detection/combat goes, and of course you can play most of the Mount & Blade games single player.

Anyway, back to PoE. My duelist is horribly messed up at this point, passives wise, but he's still going strong.

20. Re: Chivalry - Medieval Warfare Free Weekend; Sale Jan 26, 2013, 02:16 shinchan0s

loomy wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 00:54:
don't be fooled into thinking this mod is worth money

Nice one, moron. Yeah, I remember the mod and it was hardly a HL2 reskin with swords. It was a total conversion. Also, it was literally the only Medieval combat FPS out there. I played it for a couple of weeks, but the population kind of hovered at around only 30 players...

Anyway, Chivalry is definitely worth the money. I thought it looked better than WoTR. I still prefer M&B Warband's mechanics though. Also, is it just me or do the characters move faster than they did in the HL2 mod?

19. Re: Chivalry - Medieval Warfare Free Weekend; Sale Jan 25, 2013, 20:46 Krizzen

I second this.

On my endless quest for an FPS Medieval melee game, Warband was the end of the road. It's showing it's age now.

So, I tried Chivalry (the HL2 mod), and it was meh. My point of comparison was PVK and PVK2 (HL1 and HL2 mods respectively), which I consider the absolute ultimate arcade melee FPSes.

18. Re: Chivalry - Medieval Warfare Free Weekend; Sale Jan 25, 2013, 19:38 jdreyer

Downloaded and will try this weekend.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

17. Re: Chivalry - Medieval Warfare Free Weekend; Sale Jan 25, 2013, 18:50 Mordecai Walfish

+1 for more maps!

This game is seriously fun, and free all weekend so why not give it a go..

I'm trying to buy the 4-pack for my roommates and some folks at work to give as gifts.. but steam wont let me buy them as gifts the button is blanked out.. in fact it wont let me do anything but remove them from my cart

16. Re: Chivalry - Medieval Warfare Free Weekend; Sale Jan 25, 2013, 17:10 Kosh401

Sweet, I'll jump back in this weekend to bash some noobs  

15. Re: Chivalry - Medieval Warfare Free Weekend; Sale Jan 25, 2013, 15:54 Ant

Bah: http://i.imgur.com/2EPIOa9.jpg

These Unreal game engines don't like my old system!!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

14. Re: Chivalry - Medieval Warfare Free Weekend; Sale Jan 25, 2013, 14:11 PsychoMoggieBagpuss

Crustacean Soup wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 13:12:
Armengar wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 03:06:
It's a mod?
We have a full UE3 license, it's not even a UDK title.

Like Steam's description says, a decent-sized content update is going to drop soon too, adding a new TO map, a duel mode, new weapons, and other things (there's a beta thread in the forums). We're pretty serious about supporting the game

Didn't realize you worked over there.
Damn fine game with the only thing possibly missing being mounted combat, but that would involve a complete redesign and new maps so save that for Chivalry 2.
Just give me more maps. Maybe one more tier of weapons for all classes, but ignore majority of the suggestions on the forum as they're completely retarded.
I've already bought copies of the game for friends and they're hooked. Plus I get to oneshot them with the maul (HELL YEAH).
Also fuck archers. Teamkilling is OK if its an archer (especially if they're just camping at the back).

PMB / Shodan
http:/www.futilez

13. Re: Chivalry - Medieval Warfare Free Weekend; Sale Jan 25, 2013, 13:12 Crustacean Soup

It's a mod?
We have a full UE3 license, it's not even a UDK title.

Like Steam's description says, a decent-sized content update is going to drop soon too, adding a new TO map, a duel mode, new weapons, and other things (there's a beta thread in the forums). We're pretty serious about supporting the game

12. Re: Chivalry - Medieval Warfare Free Weekend; Sale Jan 25, 2013, 10:13 Warskull

Go try the game, right now. It is worth every penny at $12.49. Team Objective mode is great, it is Like Wolfenstein:ET with medieval weaponry.

If you try it, you will probably buy it.

11. Re: Chivalry - Medieval Warfare Free Weekend; Sale Jan 25, 2013, 07:07 Titus

PsychoMoggieBagpuss wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 06:18:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1B9sHBbyhs

Fun as that video is, it gives a pretty warped view on the technical stability of the game. Most glitches you see here have been fixed a long time ago.

10. Re: Chivalry - Medieval Warfare Free Weekend; Sale Jan 25, 2013, 06:18 PsychoMoggieBagpuss

Will leave this here again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1B9sHBbyhs

It's a great game and at that price it's a steal, though to get the most out of it you really want to be playing with friend.
Especially if you're on the same ts/vent/whatever server so you can laugh at them when you "accidentally" decapitate them when they run in front of you.

PMB / Shodan
http:/www.futilez

9. Re: Chivalry - Medieval Warfare Free Weekend; Sale Jan 25, 2013, 05:04 Titus

It's a mod?

Shows you what some people think to know. Age of Chivalry was a mod based on the Source engine, made by the same team. They then moved on to create a new game in the same vein based on their experiences with AoC, based on the Unreal engine, which became Chivalry: Medieval Warfare.

So this is a new standalone game, and it's really nice. Presentation wise it could use some polish, but the gameplay is solid: Combat has very simple rules, but in combining those it gets pretty in-depth.

That takes a while to discover though. You can pick it up, run a few rounds, and think you've seen it all. Play it longer, find some information about advanced combat, and you'll find the second layer, which takes some time to learn. It's probably the only game that I got worse in while learning to play better.

8. Re: Chivalry - Medieval Warfare Free Weekend; Sale Jan 25, 2013, 03:06 Armengar

loomy wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 00:54:

It's a mod?

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

7. Re: Chivalry - Medieval Warfare Free Weekend; Sale Jan 25, 2013, 02:03 ShakaUVM

I think it's pretty fun, actually. Like a medieval Team Fortress  

6. Re: Chivalry - Medieval Warfare Free Weekend; Sale Jan 25, 2013, 00:54 loomy

5. Re: Chivalry - Medieval Warfare Free Weekend; Sale Jan 25, 2013, 00:35 D4rkKnight

If you want a real medieval warfare game that uses an impressive physics system you have to play M&B Warband

Hopefully Bannerlord will carry on that tradition.

4. Re: Chivalry - Medieval Warfare Free Weekend; Sale Jan 24, 2013, 22:45 The Half Elf

It's really not a bad game, but hit detection can be a fucking joke.

PHJF and I were messing around and he throws a spear that shows hitting the ground about 2 feet in front of me, but ends up being a headshot. Same with archery.

Still rather have a updated (visually) version of Jedi Academy's saber combat then this.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo