Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Aliens: Colonial Marines "Kick Ass" Trailer

A new trailer from Aliens: Colonial Marines shows off some "kick ass" footage from Gearbox Software's upcoming first-person shooter. Word is: "In anticipation of the upcoming release of Aliens: Colonial Marines, SEGA and Gearbox Software are excited to debut the new Kick Ass trailer. Revealing exhilarating gameplay, stunning visuals and pulse-pounding action, this new glimpse into the Aliens universe shows US Colonial Marines doing what they do best – kicking some Xenomorph ass."

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

58. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 25, 2013, 14:28 Ant

There should be a Natural Selection based on ALIENS theme. Humans vs. Aliens (human players)! Build defenses, offenses, etc. Remember that Aliens Online game that had a short life? :p  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 25, 2013, 14:18 jdreyer

@Shataan,

It sounds like a lot of what you're looking for will be in this game, from what I've seen of the trailers. Yeah, it's not exactly what you want, but it will be a lot closer than AVP. As for the different alien types: great movies don't always make great games. What works for a 2 hour movie may not work for a 12 hour game. Having a variety of aliens means variety in the tactics used to dispatch them and get through the story. That will better hold the player's interest.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

56. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 25, 2013, 10:37 Shataan

What would have been really nice is if a SIM PC Developer did an AL()ENS game on PC. Cause all I ever wanted was a simple SIM of the AL()ENS movie experience, in PC game form using an edge pushing Next Gen vis engine. Not really hard to deliver.

Make the Marines look LIKE Marines. AL()ENs look LIKE their movie counterparts. Set pieces enviros look LIKE they did stylewise in the movies. Have some level designers create some very cool locations to duke it out on.

Do NOT use voice actors who suck. Do NOT mix in ANY forced 3rd pov for ANY characters/Species. Since you plan to actually SELL this game to the masses, do some polls to ask for a general concensus on ideas you are not sure will be well accepted by those you intend to market to.

If unsure on stuff LIKE 3rd povs? Add BOTH 1st AND 3rd povs so ALL player bases are covered. Make sure the PC version HAS Dedicated server support. A huge 1 on this list??? Leave your EGOS at home. If ya can`t do the above, don`t touch this particular licence.

If you just have to vent your creative licence, build YOUR own game from scratch. Don`t go re engineering the wheel with a carved in stone licence like the Alien universe. Cause when ya do, we end up with Spitters, and Boilers, Crushers, Lurkers, and 3rd povs where they are not wanted. We end up with Marine chicks that look more like they are about to go Clubbing repleat with Princess Leia hair buns and tight pants. Mohawks, tattoos... iron sights... the list goes on.

I`d always hope iD got the chance at bat to do an AL()ENS PC game. Loved DOOM IIIs sp campaign. It moved good, looked great.... atmosphere you could literally cut a knife with. Aaaah well. There is still hope, but previous attempts have beat this franchise to death.

55. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 25, 2013, 08:26 Ant

netnerd85 wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 03:18:
Ant wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 01:39:
netnerd85 wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 20:11:
*Stops video at 52 seconds*

The voice over is insulting. I'll just wait for a demo.
Is a playable demo confirmed? I missed it?
Not that I know of. Sorry I am oldish, I just expect a demo is going to be coming along with it
I am like you too. I always want a playable demo, free Steam weekend (the last Alien game was like that and I wasn't impressed :P; Maybe it will happen again!), etc.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

54. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 25, 2013, 06:25 InBlack

Quinn wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 04:32:
I'm sorry, but after the poorly executed Prometheus movie.. and then this fucking crap leeching out the soul of the Alien universe.. I've begun to become kinda sick of the whole Alien setting. To be honest, it has been "on its honour" for quite some time now. Maybe it's time to just let go of nostalgia and admit the time of blind praise for it has long.. long been flown.

Yeah well, Aliens as a movie franchise has been dead and buried to me since Alien3. Though I actually liked Fincher's movie and dont get all the criticism about it, its the last one that I consider canon. WIth that said there is no reason why they cant still make a good game in the setting, it might not be original but it sure can be good. Im not saying Colonial Marines will be good, that would be a longshot but hope always dies last anyway.

If the PC port of this game turns out to be a direct port, with no enhancement to the Alien's movement speed for example I doubt I will be getting it. Apart from the BL franchise Gearbox has yet to release a quality title, or even an average title. The last AvP was a piece of shit of the worst variety.

I have a nifty blue line!

53. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 25, 2013, 04:32 Quinn

I'm sorry, but after the poorly executed Prometheus movie.. and then this fucking crap leeching out the soul of the Alien universe.. I've begun to become kinda sick of the whole Alien setting. To be honest, it has been "on its honour" for quite some time now. Maybe it's time to just let go of nostalgia and admit the time of blind praise for it has long.. long been flown.  

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

52. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 25, 2013, 04:13 InBlack

Cutter wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 20:13:
Seems to me that the people complaining about our complaining don't understand we're all old, smelly, GET OFF MY LAWN! men now. They missed the halcyon days of gaming when it was a very small industry and it was a real geek hobby. When devs were making games because that's what they wanted to do and if they happened to make some bucks at it that was just a bonus, as opposed to everything now being mainstream and entirely profit driven.

Almost everyone and their dog is a "gamer" now. I was doing PnP in the early 80s and BBS' and MUDs too. My girl/friends back then used to look at me like I was a weirdo involved in some cult. Now it's just par for the course. As a real geek gamer, things were better then. Now it's just been this slow downward spiral into mainstream mediocrity, so yeah we get pissed off. Fact is we still love games and gaming, but the real gems are few and far between these days. The upside is at least KS has been a breath of fresh air that harkens back to the days of yor. We'll just see if it all pans out or it was just a nice pipe dream over the next couple of years.

Fact is, as a consumer - and not just a gamer - everyone should get pissed when you're expected to pay more and get less, when quality and quantity go down solely for the sake of expediency and profit. Maybe some of you are fine with being treated like 5 dollar whores, but I expect to be wined and dined like a $1000 a night call girl for my consideration.

Well said.

I have a nifty blue line!

51. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 25, 2013, 03:18 netnerd85

Ant wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 01:39:

Not that I know of. Sorry I am oldish, I just expect a demo is going to be coming along with it

50. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 25, 2013, 01:39 Ant

49. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 25, 2013, 01:36 Ant

jdreyer wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 22:41:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 20:17:
Anyone play the c64 Aliens game? I thought it was pretty good, made by David Crane of Atari 2600 Pitfall fame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cVF2gE3x2g

Yup. Good memories. Played through several times on that one.
My neighbor had this on his C64. Cool game. I loved the landing level's music/sound track. I have a rip of it, but too bad there's no HQ/better one. Why not remake this game in today's technology?

48. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 25, 2013, 01:24 Ant

Meh.  

47. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 23:19 Cutter

SlimRam wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 22:39:
Prez wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 22:04:
Admittedly being old myself, I struggle to not be "that guy" who blathers on about how great things were in the old days. They had their ups and downs, just like any generation. Honestly, these days it is easy to be skeptical, negative, and hateful about most things since more often than not there are myriad reasons given to do just that; experience dictates that it's the safe "default mode". Still, I personally am enjoying gaming as much today as I ever have despite certain regressions in areas (as noted by jdreyer and others) - I have actually become more tolerant in my old age instead of less, which is weird. So while I am tolerant of many of gaming's aforementioned regressions to a point (Blizzard and Bioware have in recent years regressed far beyond even what I can tolerate, and EA just flat-out sucks), I also find myself being tolerant of the the rampant negativity among those of us who are not so willing to tolerate many of modern gaming's shortcomings as I am. In truth, while it seems that many here default to hate mode almost immediately, from what I've seen this place if anything is pretty mild compared to other places, and actually the people hating in one thread to the next aren't usually the same (with some exceptions ).

THIS pretty much.

I lurked on these boards for MANY YEARS before I ever posted and the thing I always took away from reading the comments here was this: The group of people on this forum are generally well informed, honest (to the point of brutality sometimes), but MOST of all..... They're fucking PASSIONATE about games and gaming, seriously. I have seen game developers come to this board to defend or maybe "inform" of certain design decisions or gameplay aspects that were unpopular. Well instead of the usual 'let's kiss his ass, HE'S the developer' maybe on other forums; instead if his game SUCKS then the people here plainly tell him 'Your Game Sucks' BUT...not so much with hate.....Well...unless it was Derek Smart {SHHHH SHHHH I KNOW were NOT supposed to chant the name LOLOLOL} But then to just honestly EXPLAIN in brutal honest detail WHY his game sucks... And that's what I found so awesome about this forum and the people here. Proud to be a part of it actually *SALUTES*

Exactly. There are no fanboys here when the devs come around. We try to be respectful for the most part but we certainly don't pull any punches. And still they come back. That's the one thing I've always loved about guys like Derek from Bioware because you know he's reading some of the scathing shit were saying about Bioware - well BiowarEA at any rate.

Heh, I have to say that speaking of Smart. The fucking flamewars on the Usenet gaming groups back in the day used to be legendary! Stuff like Blues, AV, VE, Stomped, etc. were really just coming into their own while this shit was ongoing in those newsgroups. Ahhh, good times.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

46. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 23:17 wtf_man

I have actually become more tolerant in my old age instead of less, which is weird. So while I am tolerant of many of gaming's aforementioned regressions to a point (Blizzard and Bioware have in recent years regressed far beyond even what I can tolerate, and EA just flat-out sucks)

For me, I wouldn't label it so much as being "more tolerant" but rather I would think "lowered my standards", due to not having much choice in the matter.

So, yeah... I tend to bitch about it.

45. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 22:41 jdreyer

DangerDog wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 20:17:
Anyone play the c64 Aliens game? I thought it was pretty good, made by David Crane of Atari 2600 Pitfall fame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cVF2gE3x2g

Yup. Good memories. Played through several times on that one.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

44. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 22:39 SlimRam

Admittedly being old myself, I struggle to not be "that guy" who blathers on about how great things were in the old days. They had their ups and downs, just like any generation. Honestly, these days it is easy to be skeptical, negative, and hateful about most things since more often than not there are myriad reasons given to do just that; experience dictates that it's the safe "default mode". Still, I personally am enjoying gaming as much today as I ever have despite certain regressions in areas (as noted by jdreyer and others) - I have actually become more tolerant in my old age instead of less, which is weird. So while I am tolerant of many of gaming's aforementioned regressions to a point (Blizzard and Bioware have in recent years regressed far beyond even what I can tolerate, and EA just flat-out sucks), I also find myself being tolerant of the the rampant negativity among those of us who are not so willing to tolerate many of modern gaming's shortcomings as I am. In truth, while it seems that many here default to hate mode almost immediately, from what I've seen this place if anything is pretty mild compared to other places, and actually the people hating in one thread to the next aren't usually the same (with some exceptions ).

THIS pretty much.

I lurked on these boards for MANY YEARS before I ever posted and the thing I always took away from reading the comments here was this: The group of people on this forum are generally well informed, honest (to the point of brutality sometimes), but MOST of all..... They're fucking PASSIONATE about games and gaming, seriously. I have seen game developers come to this board to defend or maybe "inform" of certain design decisions or gameplay aspects that were unpopular. Well instead of the usual 'let's kiss his ass, HE'S the developer' maybe on other forums; instead if his game SUCKS then the people here plainly tell him 'Your Game Sucks' BUT...not so much with hate.....Well...unless it was Derek Smart {SHHHH SHHHH I KNOW were NOT supposed to chant the name LOLOLOL} But then to just honestly EXPLAIN in brutal honest detail WHY his game sucks... And that's what I found so awesome about this forum and the people here. Proud to be a part of it actually *SALUTES*

Slightly Off Song Lyrics: Coward of the Country, Kenny Rogers

Tommy turned around they said
Hey look, old yeller's leavin'

You could've heard a pin drop
When Tommy locked the door, and dropped his pants...

43. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 22:04 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

42. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 20:45 s1mon75

Seems to me that the people complaining about our complaining don't understand we're all old, smelly, GET OFF MY LAWN! men now. They missed the halcyon days of gaming when it was a very small industry and it was a real geek hobby. When devs were making games because that's what they wanted to do and if they happened to make some bucks at it that was just a bonus, as opposed to everything now being mainstream and entirely profit driven.

Almost everyone and their dog is a "gamer" now. I was doing PnP in the early 80s and BBS' and MUDs too. My girl/friends back then used to look at me like I was a weirdo involved in some cult. Now it's just par for the course. As a real geek gamer, things were better then. Now it's just been this slow downward spiral into mainstream mediocrity, so yeah we get pissed off. Fact is we still love games and gaming, but the real gems are few and far between these days. The upside is at least KS has been a breath of fresh air that harkens back to the days of yor. We'll just see if it all pans out or it was just a nice pipe dream over the next couple of years.

Fact is, as a consumer - and not just a gamer - everyone should get pissed when you're expected to pay more and get less, when quality and quantity go down solely for the sake of expediency and profit. Maybe some of you are fine with being treated like 5 dollar whores, but I expect to be wined and dined like a $1000 a night call girl for my consideration.

Now I know why you sound old and bitter!

But your quote pretty much sums up my opinion of the current generation of developers and games, bar a select few. Well said sir!

41. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 20:34 netnerd85

It's kind of at a point where no matter what any does, it's not good enough.

Do you go out searching for obscure game titles? I'm not talking about what the next popular indie title on steam either.

40. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 20:28 RollinThundr

Orphic Resonance wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 20:25:
RollinThundr wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 18:57:
Eh Darks does have a point. Regs here are prolly the most negative for the sake of being negative when compared to most other gaming news sites.

nope, thats wrong... find me some evidence and then we'll talk - until then, im gonna laugh at this really hard

Evil Avatar for one, RPS for another. Really isn't that hard to notice.

39. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 20:25 Orphic Resonance

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 18:57:
Eh Darks does have a point. Regs here are prolly the most negative for the sake of being negative when compared to most other gaming news sites.

nope, thats wrong... find me some evidence and then we'll talk - until then, im gonna laugh at this really hard

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo