Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Aliens: Colonial Marines "Kick Ass" Trailer

A new trailer from Aliens: Colonial Marines shows off some "kick ass" footage from Gearbox Software's upcoming first-person shooter. Word is: "In anticipation of the upcoming release of Aliens: Colonial Marines, SEGA and Gearbox Software are excited to debut the new Kick Ass trailer. Revealing exhilarating gameplay, stunning visuals and pulse-pounding action, this new glimpse into the Aliens universe shows US Colonial Marines doing what they do best Ė kicking some Xenomorph ass."

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

38. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 20:25 wtf_man

jdreyer wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 19:27:
We can be negative here, it's true. But there's lots to be negative about these days:
- Trend away from single player
- Trend towards Free 2 Pay
- Trend towards always online DRM regardless of game type
- Trend towards ports of console games over made-for-PC titles
- Trend towards monetization over gameplay
- Collapse of beloved devs/publishers
- Draconian EULAs
- Trend toward poor PR with gamers

Pretty much this, sadly.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 20:17 DangerDog

Phasenoise wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 19:40:
Seems like a rehash bereft of creativity though. Honestly, a tough hispanic female soldier, who saw that coming. Oh, and the shuttle pilot is a white woman. Wonder if she'll at any time be in the pipe, five by five.
Good thing there's a cargo loader, that's not been done.

They said in an interview that you wouldn't get to use the cargo loader, maybe they changed their mind because it looks like you do towards the end of the trailer.

Anyone play the c64 Aliens game? I thought it was pretty good, made by David Crane of Atari 2600 Pitfall fame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cVF2gE3x2g

36. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 20:13 Cutter

Seems to me that the people complaining about our complaining don't understand we're all old, smelly, GET OFF MY LAWN! men now. They missed the halcyon days of gaming when it was a very small industry and it was a real geek hobby. When devs were making games because that's what they wanted to do and if they happened to make some bucks at it that was just a bonus, as opposed to everything now being mainstream and entirely profit driven.

Almost everyone and their dog is a "gamer" now. I was doing PnP in the early 80s and BBS' and MUDs too. My girl/friends back then used to look at me like I was a weirdo involved in some cult. Now it's just par for the course. As a real geek gamer, things were better then. Now it's just been this slow downward spiral into mainstream mediocrity, so yeah we get pissed off. Fact is we still love games and gaming, but the real gems are few and far between these days. The upside is at least KS has been a breath of fresh air that harkens back to the days of yor. We'll just see if it all pans out or it was just a nice pipe dream over the next couple of years.

Fact is, as a consumer - and not just a gamer - everyone should get pissed when you're expected to pay more and get less, when quality and quantity go down solely for the sake of expediency and profit. Maybe some of you are fine with being treated like 5 dollar whores, but I expect to be wined and dined like a $1000 a night call girl for my consideration.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

35. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 20:11 netnerd85

*Stops video at 52 seconds*

The voice over is insulting. I'll just wait for a demo.

34. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 19:48 Kosumo

To me, the charactor models looked low ploy count, and the animation very 2003 - really bad ice skating around 0:26ish.

Could be a good game but a lot of that will depend how good the Alien AI is cos if it's nothing but wave of 'left4dead zombie' aliens, well I spose that could be ok.

33. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 19:40 Phasenoise

Seems like a rehash bereft of creativity though. Honestly, a tough hispanic female soldier, who saw that coming. Oh, and the shuttle pilot is a white woman. Wonder if she'll at any time be in the pipe, five by five.
Good thing there's a cargo loader, that's not been done.

32. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 19:27 jdreyer

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 18:57:
Eh Darks does have a point. Regs here are prolly the most negative for the sake of being negative when compared to most other gaming news sites.

We can be negative here, it's true. But there's lots to be negative about these days:
- Trend away from single player
- Trend towards Free 2 Pay
- Trend towards always online DRM regardless of game type
- Trend towards ports of console games over made-for-PC titles
- Trend towards monetization over gameplay
- Collapse of beloved devs/publishers
- Draconian EULAs
- Trend toward poor PR with gamers

And positive subjects tend to have mostly positive comments in them, for example things involving Steam sales, Valve, Amnesia, BBQ, or kittens.

Also, given all the historical similarities of this game and Duke 3D, isn't a little skepticism warranted?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

31. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 19:20 Shataan

I thought the voice acting was great, if you were doing a cross imitation of Clint Eastwood, doing AL()ENS Tropic Thunder style.

As for negativity? Many have already pointed out the stuff that looks to rock. But I guess no one notices anything till peeps AS WELL point out some considerable questionable areas. You think this is bad?

Wait till peeps actually boot it up. The sp campaign if it doesn`t feel totally onrails, and doesn`t slap you in the head with prompts all the time might be cool. Co op is something many always wanted. The being forced to switch from a sweet 1st pov Marine view, to that azzcam Alien view in mp? hehhhehhe Good luck on that 1.

30. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 18:57 RollinThundr

Orphic Resonance wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 18:28:
Darks wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 15:12:
It is not that Iím defending the game; Iím just getting tired of all the negativity when it comes to pc games in general here at Blues. Itís becoming a routine here listening to whinny assed people bitch about pc games in general when there are not a whole lot of them to go around as it is.

In fact itís getting a little sickening reading it all the time by the same people doing the bitchin.

seriously? you dont like the comments in the "comments" area?

go have a tea party or play with some dolls or something.. maybe bake some cupcakes

if this place is too rough for you, then put on your tiara and be off on your merry way.. because if you dont expect "negativity" at a gaming website, you've got a few decades to catch up on

Eh Darks does have a point. Regs here are prolly the most negative for the sake of being negative when compared to most other gaming news sites.

29. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 18:28 Orphic Resonance

Darks wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 15:12:
It is not that Iím defending the game; Iím just getting tired of all the negativity when it comes to pc games in general here at Blues. Itís becoming a routine here listening to whinny assed people bitch about pc games in general when there are not a whole lot of them to go around as it is.

In fact itís getting a little sickening reading it all the time by the same people doing the bitchin.

seriously? you dont like the comments in the "comments" area?

go have a tea party or play with some dolls or something.. maybe bake some cupcakes

if this place is too rough for you, then put on your tiara and be off on your merry way.. because if you dont expect "negativity" at a gaming website, you've got a few decades to catch up on

28. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 18:26 Cutter

ChaosEngine wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 18:21:
"...shows US Colonial Marines doing what they do best Ė kicking some Xenomorph ass."

Gearbox must have been watching a different Aliens movie to me.

Because in the version I saw, what Colonial Marines do best is die.

Lol! So true. If anything they should be sending in civilians and little kids if they want to defeat the aliens.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

27. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 18:21 ChaosEngine

"...shows US Colonial Marines doing what they do best Ė kicking some Xenomorph ass."

Gearbox must have been watching a different Aliens movie to me.

Because in the version I saw, what Colonial Marines do best is die.

26. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 18:17 theyarecomingforyou

The graphics are actually getting worse in every trailer I see. Shocking.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

25. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 17:56 Quinn

1:32 = BIG ASS ALIEN that will make da homies go wild as they show off their new TV to their gangsta buddies.

How could they've gone for this "bad ass" zerging pile of fuck? Jesus christ the voice actor of this trailer, isn't it the guy voicing Duke Nukem or Serious Sam?

Seriously if this game isn't going to suck so motherfucking hard, I become a mormon.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

24. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 17:50 Quinn

Have I ever mentioned that this. game. will. SUCK!?  

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

23. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 17:42 dumpy

Sounds like they're really piling on the cheese, I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

I hate dub-step.

22. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 17:29 RollinThundr

jdreyer wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 16:18:
Wow, they are really hitting ALL the Aliens movie beats: medlab, turrets, dropships, loader, Bishop, Sulaco, door welding, etc.

Graphics still look craptastic, but I'm fine with that if story/gameplay are good. Just surprising in this day and age. Hopefully PC graphics will be better.

And given that this is marketing, I'd expect the narrator to have BETTER voice acting than in game. I hope the in game stuff is better, but from what Iv'e seen from other trailers, I'm skeptical. Still, not a deal breaker, just a shame as good voice acting really increases immersion (as do graphics).

I'm not surprised about the visuals, this title saw just as much crazy turbulence during it's dev time than DNF did. It was originally supposed to be a playstation 1 title.

21. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 16:18 jdreyer

Wow, they are really hitting ALL the Aliens movie beats: medlab, turrets, dropships, loader, Bishop, Sulaco, door welding, etc.

Graphics still look craptastic, but I'm fine with that if story/gameplay are good. Just surprising in this day and age. Hopefully PC graphics will be better.

And given that this is marketing, I'd expect the narrator to have BETTER voice acting than in game. I hope the in game stuff is better, but from what Iv'e seen from other trailers, I'm skeptical. Still, not a deal breaker, just a shame as good voice acting really increases immersion (as do graphics).

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

20. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 15:50 Prez

Graphics, once past "good enough", stop mattering very much to me. I just don't want the game's visuals to be so bad that they are a distraction. Given that, I am pleased with how the game looks in the trailer. I can even forgive the laughably bad marine sarge doing the trailer voiceover (why the hell didn't they find a Seargent Apone sound-alike? "Absolute BADASSES!"). The action looks like it may be intense, and they did a good job with the alien models. The only downside for me is that a shooter in the Aliens universe ought to be a survival horror-type experience and less of an action-y experience in my view. The coop mod for Doom 3 proved that you can still do survival horror in coop games, so the coop doesn't bother me. Hopefully it won't be all guns blazing all the time, but instead lots of tension broken up with terrifying action like the seminal cinematic masterpiece on which it is based.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

19. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 15:35 wtf_man

The graphics look "ok" to me... some objects are a little more cartoony than I expected... but overall not too bad. I do value gameplay over graphics... control mechanics as well... especially mouse, keyboard, camera controls.

That said... I still don't expect much from the PC version, since it is DX9 only. As I said before, to me that is a sign they didn't really put any effort into the PC version, so I will wait until post launch reviews and opinions, before I purchase.

As for the voice acting... I sure hope that wasn't an in-game actor and just the trailer narrator.

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo