Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP

SaveHomeworld.com is a new campaign looking to crowdsource funding to acquire the Homeworld IP, as the highly regarded space-based RTS series was apparently not one of the assets SEGA picked up when they bought developer Relic from THQ (thanks VG247). The site was launched by startup indie developer teamPixel, and here's what they say they are attempting to accomplish:

13 years ago, one of the most legendary sci-fi games was released, and the space RTS genre took a giant leap forward in innovation and fun. Yet, somehow, nearly 10 years later, fans are still waiting for the next installment of the Homeworld franchise. We here at teamPixel, LLC are tired of waiting for the next Homeworld game and would like to rally fans together to bring the franchise back. The THQ bankruptcy has given all of us a massive opportunity to put Homeworld back in the hands of gamers. teamPixel respectfully requests the support of Homeworld fans everywhere in helping us raise funds to acquire the Homeworld franchise from THQ during their bankruptcy. With the franchise in hand, we would be able to pursue 3 initiatives for reviving the series:

• Homeworld on GoG.com and Steam. Easier access for old and new fans alike!
  • Homeworld Touch - A legendary game with a modernized interface!
  • Homeworld 3. Enough said.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

4. Re: Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP Jan 24, 2013, 10:54 Prez

The original remains as one of my personal most favorite games of all time; definitely in the top 3. Homeworld 2 is a must have simply for all of the great mods available for it. I'd love to see them on Steam just so I can stop using a virtual drive and a crack to play them since I lost the discs in one of my many moves. As far as Homeworld 3 is concerned, I would love to see it but in the hands of an untested indie with zero funds and no one from Relic is involved I would be a little worried.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP Jan 24, 2013, 09:42 Panickd

Homeworld was great, Homeworld 2 was meh.

Why does anyone need the name? We're approaching 10 years since the sequel was released with apparently little interest. Just make the same type of game and name it something else. I am not sure Homeworld really needs a revival.

2. Re: Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP Jan 24, 2013, 09:42 dj LiTh

Still, i think this is pretty awesome. Although i'm skeptical of Homeworld 3 ever coming about, it still is worth it to just get Homeworld 1&2 on Steam/GOG for free (at 100k donations).  

1. Re: Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP Jan 24, 2013, 09:38 Cutter

Try an homage, it's much cheaper.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo