Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP

SaveHomeworld.com is a new campaign looking to crowdsource funding to acquire the Homeworld IP, as the highly regarded space-based RTS series was apparently not one of the assets SEGA picked up when they bought developer Relic from THQ (thanks VG247). The site was launched by startup indie developer teamPixel, and here's what they say they are attempting to accomplish:

13 years ago, one of the most legendary sci-fi games was released, and the space RTS genre took a giant leap forward in innovation and fun. Yet, somehow, nearly 10 years later, fans are still waiting for the next installment of the Homeworld franchise. We here at teamPixel, LLC are tired of waiting for the next Homeworld game and would like to rally fans together to bring the franchise back. The THQ bankruptcy has given all of us a massive opportunity to put Homeworld back in the hands of gamers. teamPixel respectfully requests the support of Homeworld fans everywhere in helping us raise funds to acquire the Homeworld franchise from THQ during their bankruptcy. With the franchise in hand, we would be able to pursue 3 initiatives for reviving the series:

• Homeworld on GoG.com and Steam. Easier access for old and new fans alike!
  • Homeworld Touch - A legendary game with a modernized interface!
  • Homeworld 3. Enough said.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP Jan 25, 2013, 08:25 John

They should go with a Kickstarter campaign.. I think it is more popular.  
This space is available for rent
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP Jan 25, 2013, 07:59 Kristian Joensen

Yosemite Sam wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 20:16:
Um... ya... um... doesnt Vivendi own the rights to the Homeworld IP. Relic couldnt make Homeworld 3 because they dont own the rights to it, which is why its been in limbo.

EDIT, er I mean Activision seeing as they bought Sierra from Vivendi.

No THQ bought the Homeworld IP from them back in like 2007 or so.

22. Re: Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP Jan 24, 2013, 20:18 Cutter

Prez wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 13:53:
Homeworld wasn't about a great story; it was a great game because it was a story well-told inside of an absolutely unforgettable experience. And the music... ah the music! The evocative soundtrack has yet to be topped by any game in my opinion.

RTS has never been a genre I've cared for, but yeah. Homeworld was one of the few that won me over. It really was a stellar game all around. I still love the voice of the chick who did the narration/mothership. And the visuals at the time looked so damn sweet. And also it was so well balanced the way it scaled up over the campaign. It was like easing into a hot bath. Still, it's ridiculous to waste money on the name alone. As I said originally, use that money to do an homage instead.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

21. Re: Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP Jan 24, 2013, 20:16 Yosemite Sam

Um... ya... um... doesnt Vivendi own the rights to the Homeworld IP. Relic couldnt make Homeworld 3 because they dont own the rights to it, which is why its been in limbo.

EDIT, er I mean Activision seeing as they bought Sierra from Vivendi.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

20. Re: Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP Jan 24, 2013, 19:54 Clancy

Panickd wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 15:30:
Clancy wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 15:22:
Do they not know that Relic already released the source code to Homeworld? What is missing is a clear license for the said source code. Would also be cool if THQ just released the whole thing as freeware.

A source code release doesn't include the game assets and even though it's been out for 9 years now no one has done anything at all with the code short of a halfway Linux SDL port. And at this point I don't think THQ is in a position to give away anything their creditors think they can sell for even a few bucks.
True, but, nobody can do anything with the source, since the license don't allow it. Heck, the license they used pretty much made it so nobody can use it for anything, except personal use.
Anything else is breaking the terms of the license, which means, it can't be included in any linux distros, even if all the assets were redone.

That is why people have been trying for years to fix it, but THQ never did respond back, so everything is in limbo.

19. Re: Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP Jan 24, 2013, 17:28 Ozmodan

THQ was run by a bunch of idiots to let the homeworld IP sit idle. No wonder they went bankrupt

18. Re: Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP Jan 24, 2013, 17:07 Flatline

Prez wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 13:53:
Homeworld wasn't about a great story; it was a great game because it was a story well-told inside of an absolutely unforgettable experience. And the music... ah the music! The evocative soundtrack has yet to be topped by any game in my opinion.

Anything that uses Barber's Adagio for Strings elegantly is epic win.

17. Re: Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP Jan 24, 2013, 16:58 jdreyer

Panickd wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 09:42:
Homeworld was great, Homeworld 2 was meh.

Why does anyone need the name? We're approaching 10 years since the sequel was released with apparently little interest. Just make the same type of game and name it something else. I am not sure Homeworld really needs a revival.

I agree, Chris Taylor was able to make TA2 without the TA license: Supreme Commander. Similarly, Uber was able to make their version of TA2 without the license: Planetary Annihilation. In both cases, devs from the original are involved in the sequel, but I would think any pedigreed dev that shows they're a huge fan of the original and wants to make a spiritual successor would be able to nail down KS funding with a good pitch. There's still so much love for the original, and game tech has come so far in the past 15 years.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

16. Re: Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP Jan 24, 2013, 15:30 Panickd

Clancy wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 15:22:
Dev wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 11:51:
It offers a money back guarantee if they can't get the IP. $50k goal seems a little low, but what do I know about bankruptcy and auctions.

Says that the THQ auction is in multiple rounds, and one of the next ones will sell off additional assets such as homeworld.

Anyone ever heard of this Rob Santos?

Edit:
Hmm, looking over it closer, they won't even give out the homeworld 3 game to contributers unless they get $750k, which seems kinda high. They plan to release original series for free though if they hit $100k.
Not exactly encouraging me to donate here.
They'd have been better off if they SOLD the original series for a very low amount, and gave free copies to donors on this campaign.

Do they not know that Relic already released the source code to Homeworld? What is missing is a clear license for the said source code. Would also be cool if THQ just released the whole thing as freeware.

A source code release doesn't include the game assets and even though it's been out for 9 years now no one has done anything at all with the code short of a halfway Linux SDL port. And at this point I don't think THQ is in a position to give away anything their creditors think they can sell for even a few bucks.

15. Re: Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP Jan 24, 2013, 15:22 Clancy

Dev wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 11:51:
It offers a money back guarantee if they can't get the IP. $50k goal seems a little low, but what do I know about bankruptcy and auctions.

Says that the THQ auction is in multiple rounds, and one of the next ones will sell off additional assets such as homeworld.

Edit:
Hmm, looking over it closer, they won't even give out the homeworld 3 game to contributers unless they get $750k, which seems kinda high. They plan to release original series for free though if they hit $100k.
They'd have been better off if they SOLD the original series for a very low amount, and gave free copies to donors on this campaign.

14. Re: Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP Jan 24, 2013, 13:53 Prez

This comment was edited on Jan 24, 2013, 14:56.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP Jan 24, 2013, 13:25 MisterBenn

Oh my god, that rebuttal was just too perfect! AdamK47 I hope you haven't been on standby for the opportunity to issue that for the last 13 years.  

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

12. Re: Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP Jan 24, 2013, 13:08 Creston

AdamK47 wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 11:21:
Creston wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 11:11:

Why does anyone need the name? We're approaching 10 years since the sequel was released with apparently little interest. Just make the same type of game and name it something else. I am not sure Homeworld really needs a revival.

Especially since the story in Homeworld was utter, utter pants.

Creston

http://www.relicnews.com/homeworld/hw-articles/better-than-pants/

Hahahahahaha. Touche, good sir. Touche!

Creston

11. Re: Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP Jan 24, 2013, 13:07 Creston

mag wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 12:28:

Creston

You shut your mouth!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWNV7FG0qBU

Sorry, mag. But the whole "your world is attacked by uber-aliens who wipe out your whole civilization, with the exception of one mothership which manages to get away," thing is just kinda meh.

Especially since said mothership proceeds, during the game, to lay utter fucking waste to said uber-aliens. (so why did the whole homeworld get conquered to begin with?)

It's a story that can be rewritten in about five minutes, and would still offer exactly the same gameplay. So why does it need to be called Homeworld? Why does it need the Homeworld IP (all 300 words of it?)

Creston

10. Re: Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP Jan 24, 2013, 12:28 mag

Creston

You shut your mouth!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWNV7FG0qBU

9. Re: Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP Jan 24, 2013, 11:51 Dev

Edit:

This comment was edited on Jan 24, 2013, 11:59.

8. Re: Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP Jan 24, 2013, 11:27 Beamer

Well played.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP Jan 24, 2013, 11:27 Burrito of Peace

Everyone always forgets Homeworld: Cataclysm.

There are three Homeworld games and I am unashamed that I love them all.

6. Re: Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP Jan 24, 2013, 11:21 AdamK47

Creston

http://www.relicnews.com/homeworld/hw-articles/better-than-pants/

5. Re: Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP Jan 24, 2013, 11:11 Creston

Creston

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo