Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The other day I mentioned I was facing the temptation to head out into the wilds of the backyard and fire up the man-stove to satisfy my prehistoric need for scorched meat. In an effort to show me the error of my ways, a wave of arctic air has invaded our area, along with much of the country, and it is shockingly cold out there, at least for those of us not used to the kind of climate one finds in Siberia or Minnesota. This has definitely cooled my enthusiasm, so to speak... I wonder what sort of outcome I could get with one of those electric George Foreman dealies. Yeah, probably not.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Frantic 3.
Links: The Most WTF Sports Stories Of All Time. Thanks nin.
Stories: Missouri man, 93, charged with killing wife, 95.
FBI agent denies using public funds on prostitutes for suspects.
Science: Practically human: Can smart machines do your job?
Media: Manti Te'o Now Dating 'Scarlett Johansson's Head On Jenny McCarthy's Body'.
His boxing announcing career began and ended with one sentence.
Yet Another GIFS with Sound.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2013, 14:20 jdreyer

sauron wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 08:03:
Undercooked pork meat, mainly. Here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taenia_solium

Best not to read that while eating breakfast, by the way. Especially if it has bacon/sausage/ham.

Heh, I'm vegetarian.

EDIT: Holy shit! They can get 50 meters long!!! How does that even fit inside an animal?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2013, 08:03 sauron

jdreyer wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 23:23:
sauron wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 22:49:
Cutter wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 20:01:
Pork on the other hand is actually pretty safe - though I wouldn't want to eat it raw.

Ya, don't eat pork raw. The pig tapeworm (Taenia solium) is so dangerous that two of the world's major religions outlawed consumption - both Kosher and Halal. Well, that and Trichinella spiralis.

Unlike the beef tapeworm, the pork version can migrate to organs outside the gut, notably the brain and eyes. Cysticercosis - very nasty indeed.

Interesting. I threw raw pork in there due to trichinosis, I had no idea about pig tape worms. Could you get that from eating just the muscle, or would you have to eat organs to get that one?

Undercooked pork meat, mainly. Here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taenia_solium

Best not to read that while eating breakfast, by the way. Especially if it has bacon/sausage/ham.

Kittens!

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2013, 23:23 jdreyer

sauron wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 22:49:
Pork on the other hand is actually pretty safe - though I wouldn't want to eat it raw.

Ya, don't eat pork raw. The pig tapeworm (Taenia solium) is so dangerous that two of the world's major religions outlawed consumption - both Kosher and Halal. Well, that and Trichinella spiralis.

Unlike the beef tapeworm, the pork version can migrate to organs outside the gut, notably the brain and eyes. Cysticercosis - very nasty indeed.

Interesting. I threw raw pork in there due to trichinosis, I had no idea about pig tape worms. Could you get that from eating just the muscle, or would you have to eat organs to get that one?

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2013, 22:49 sauron

Kittens!

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2013, 22:42 sauron

jdreyer wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 19:47:
Cutter wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 18:25:

Wow, I thought you were joking - I don't eat much Japanese. I don't even like touching raw chicken. Eating it? Hello salmonella!

Yeah, I was kidding. Embarassed This probably goes without saying, but don't eat raw chicken (or pork), folks. It's a horrible, painful way to die.

Ya, don't do that. Salmonella from one, tapeworm from the other. Bad, bad, bad.

Easy way to do them is marinade in rice wine (or any white wine), ginger, scallions and garlic for a couple hours, then stir-fry very hot.

Add a few light crisp veggies (not broccoli or cauliflower) and DO NOT OVERCOOK. Serve with noodles. Don't overcook those either. Add wine. Enjoy. Yum.

This comment was edited on Jan 24, 2013, 22:49.

Kittens!

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2013, 20:01 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 19:47:

Wow, I thought you were joking - I don't eat much Japanese. I don't even like touching raw chicken. Eating it? Hello salmonella!

Yeah, I was kidding. Embarassed This probably goes without saying, but don't eat raw chicken (or pork), folks. It's a horrible, painful way to die.

Well, I ended up googling it because I thought you were kiding but people do eat chicken sashimi - crazytown! Prok on the other hand is actually pretty safe - though I wouldn't want to eat it raw. And I don't know if you've ever had Lardo - cured Italian fatback - but it's the bomb. I've only ever had authentic Lardo di Colonnata once and my mouth had an orgasm it's so ridiculously good. It's one of those things that's so good you feel a little depressed afterward because everything else seems blah by comparison.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2013, 19:47 jdreyer

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2013, 18:25 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 18:10:
PHJF wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 17:38:
I don't do chicken on mine very often as there are about a million better ways to cook chicken indoors than trying to grill it

Like what? Boiling? Disgusting. Baking? Takes forever. Frying? Unhealthy oil.

Chicken sashimi, obviously. Still juicy, seasoned with a bit of soy sauce and wasabi, those cold slices sliding down your gullet. Mmmmm. Gettin' hungry just thinking about it.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2013, 18:23 Cutter

I don't do chicken on mine very often as there are about a million better ways to cook chicken indoors than trying to grill it

What? Baking or roasting chicken takes no time. And fried in olive oil or canola isn't unhealthy. And who boils chicken unless you're making stock or soup?

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2013, 18:12 sauron

A slow simmer in green or brown mole for a couple of hours is pretty darn great. Or stewed with vegetables in stock and white wine until it's falling off the bone (tip: drink the rest of the wine while waiting).

Personally, I think chicken is overrated. Hobbit is where it's at. So versatile, and never tough.

Kittens!

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2013, 18:10 jdreyer

Chicken sashimi, obviously. Still juicy, seasoned with a bit of soy sauce and wasabi, those cold slices sliding down your gullet. Mmmmm. Gettin' hungry just thinking about it.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2013, 17:38 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2013, 16:46 MattyC

Creston wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 13:11:
Redmask wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 12:47:
I don't know about the Foreman grill specifically but those types of grills have come a long way surprisingly. A friend of mine rents and his town has an ordinance banning BBQs on apartment balconies so he had to get a little Hamilton Beach counter grill press. We had some burgers and they were delicious, no dryness or toughness at all. It had a little drip tray but its only to catch slight run off, the burgers cook in their own juices and taste delicious. I sound like a commercial, I'll stop now. Really though if you have no other option they're not bad at all.

Hmmm, it's been awhile since I used a Foreman (looong ago when my wife and I had no money for an actual decent grill/BBQ), and it made burgers dry as shit. I guess I could have another look at one of those things for use during the winter times.

(During the summer, shit gets cooked to perfection on my 900 kajillion BTU Forge Master Supreme XT Master Chef Edition Alpha!)

Creston

It should be fine for burgers, hot dogs, sausages and the like. I use one when it is raining out and I want something like that. Never tried chicken (if I am inside I would just pan sear that) or much of anything else. The newer ones do a pretty good job for what they are.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2013, 16:33 The Half Elf

Creston wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 10:59:
I wonder what sort of outcome I could get with one of those electric George Foreman dealies

Crappy, dry, undercooked meat is about all you get out of that. Unless it's chicken, it does do reasonably well with chicken.

Creston

WRONG!
Considering the only 'grilling' I do is on my Foreman, it's all about how ya cook with it. Yes, I do have a mini grill outside but sadly it's not been on my list of crap to do outside when it's FREEZING!

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2013, 13:13 Creston

InBlack wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 10:39:
How bout making an open fire grill? You would need dry wood and a nice secluded place on the ground. But the upshot is that it gets really really warm while youre cooking

The downside of cooking stuff over an open fire is that you have absolutely no control over the temperature, and imo that just leads to having to guess at how well done (or not) your meat really is.

Better yet, invest in a proper brick layed or stone built stove. To those who dont know what Im talking about its like a fireplace with its own chimney, but outside the house, and about a meter off the ground. This is to me one of the crowning achievements of mankind and every large yard should have one by default.

Building an outdoor oven is on my list for either this year or next.

Creston

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2013, 13:11 Creston

Redmask wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 12:47:
I don't know about the Foreman grill specifically but those types of grills have come a long way surprisingly. A friend of mine rents and his town has an ordinance banning BBQs on apartment balconies so he had to get a little Hamilton Beach counter grill press. We had some burgers and they were delicious, no dryness or toughness at all. It had a little drip tray but its only to catch slight run off, the burgers cook in their own juices and taste delicious. I sound like a commercial, I'll stop now. Really though if you have no other option they're not bad at all.

Hmmm, it's been awhile since I used a Foreman (looong ago when my wife and I had no money for an actual decent grill/BBQ), and it made burgers dry as shit. I guess I could have another look at one of those things for use during the winter times.

(During the summer, shit gets cooked to perfection on my 900 kajillion BTU Forge Master Supreme XT Master Chef Edition Alpha!)

Creston

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2013, 12:55 NegaDeath

I've got an electric grill. Its definitely not equivalent to a BBQ or anything like that, you still miss the taste an actual fire brings. But if you lack a BBQ/fire pit/whatever or if its -40 outside it makes a decent backup. Never had a dryness issue unless I overcooked it, these things cook meat so fast you need to be careful. Better than nothing.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2013, 12:54 shuttleswo

I wonder what sort of outcome I could get with one of those electric George Foreman dealies

Crappy, dry, undercooked meat is about all you get out of that. Unless it's chicken, it does do reasonably well with chicken.

Creston

Sausage and the like is also reasonable on them and they make a good panini (the only reason we keep ours around at all) - I don't do chicken on mine very often as there are about a million better ways to cook chicken indoors than trying to grill it. there are some decent models from & modeled after Cuisinarts that can serve as a passable griddle as well; the foreman's are a waste of money.

i thought you initially leaving off at electric was a joke about blowing your circuit or something... oh well.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2013, 12:47 Redmask

Creston

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2013, 10:59 Creston

Creston

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo