Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Path of Exile Open Beta

Grinding Gear Games announces today open beta testing is now underway for Path of Exile, their upcoming action/RPG. Since there will be no character wipes going forward, this can be considered a soft launch for the free-to-play game. Here's word:

Path of Exile is a PC online action role-playing game set in a dark fantasy world. Featuring ethical microtransactions, the game is free-to-play, but not pay-to-win. Playing as one of six character classes, players find themselves banished for their past misdeeds to the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast. There, they will encounter hundreds of species of opponents laden with loot and mysterious artifacts as they explore the abandoned continent.

Key features of Path of Exile:

• A dark and deep action RPG
  • Build unlimited unique characters on a gigantic skill tree
  • Combine over 110 skill gems to create unique combat strategies
  • Explore a dark and gritty world rendered from a fixed 3D perspective
  • Download and play for free, but never 'pay-to-win'
  • Explore randomly generated levels for extreme replayability
  • Craft weapons, magic items and even end-game maps to become more powerful
  • Cooperate or compete with thousands of other exiles in a persistent online world
  • Ascend online ladders in every game mode
  • Battle in PVP tournaments for worldwide recognition

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

18. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 24, 2013, 10:59 pagb

Ant wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 10:36:
Uh, where's the open beta stuff? I want to play! I think I signed up months ago, but nothing about it after it.
Download the client, login, play

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 24, 2013, 10:36 Ant

Uh, where's the open beta stuff? I want to play! I think I signed up months ago, but nothing about it after it.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

16. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 24, 2013, 10:12 Mr. Tact

Looks interesting. I'd be more interested if it wasn't server based. Guess I'm a curmudgeon for wanting off-line play. I'll keep my eye on it, seems to have potential.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

15. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 24, 2013, 09:41 pagb

It's fine, but it's not the super-duper-son-of-diablo2-messiah-thing everyone hypes about... Still WAY behind D2. Will provide a couple of weeks of entertaining tough.

Also I don't understand all the hype about the PASSIVE tree, because everyone calling it "skill tree" is hugely misleading. It's a "passive skill tree", so all those spots in the tree are things like "+10int" or "+3% fire damage"... ultimately you can reach spots with bigger bonuses, or about 20 major passives, but that's it. Calling it skill (ot talent) tree makes it seem a lot better than it really is.

The skill gems touch is nice, but it's like D3 skills+rune implemented into items, making it harder to people to get into... and can lead people into make huge mistakes, like selling items with leveled gems socketed.

Also I read people praising the "smooth launch"... WHAT?! I logged in 2 minutes before opening and I was like 3100th in queue, if they can't handle that, they'd better leave bussiness. The servers crashed after playing for like 3 hours, it's not hard to get out of sync with the server, and I spent 1 hour to download a 7mb patch.

I think people is trying too hard to like this game :/

This comment was edited on Jan 24, 2013, 11:01.

14. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 24, 2013, 08:18 Redmask

Played for awhile last night between downtime and server restarts for patches and fixing the login server, my likes and dislikes. Likes: depth and complexity, grimdark world feel, skills in gems and the cost. Dislikes: production values, the first 20 levels, normal difficulty, lack of interface polish, passive skill tree presentation needs work.

I can see this being a fun thing to do every now and then but I won't be dumping too much time into it, action RPG games have always been hit and miss with me.

13. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 24, 2013, 07:23 Esoteric

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 06:34:
What's the chance of a decent game experience by doing a public random party game from level 1 onward in this? Also what's the ping like for Europeans?

I am actually waiting a day to get all these beta guys out of my view The further they are from my first game experience the better it will be. And the higher imo, the chance to find a decent guy or gal to do a bit of relaxed coop gaming in this...

My main (and basically only) gripe with this game is that loot is not individually instanced, it's a race to pick it up first (although you get a short timer where only you can pick it up if you kill the monster). This system makes it so I'm very unlikely to ever party with someone I don't know. But I tend to solo anyway, so this isn't a huge problem for me.

Awesome game, by the way. Great character-building game mechanics in the form of skills, support skills, loot, passive skill tree, and stats.

12. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 24, 2013, 07:21 jacobvandy

No easy respecs (you could feasibly completely respec at any level, there are these items you can find or buy that also refund a point) is part of the fun, it makes you think a little harder about where you build out in that skill tree. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see a paid insta-respec show up in the store sometime.

And yeah, first thing I do in this game is hide global chat. As mentioned already, it's better to have it for people that want to use it than not at all, but it's far too distracting for my solo experience. Bad enough I was having to see system messages about the most rushing-est motherfucker yesterday, reaching level 45 8 hours after the character wipe... Literally said "What'shisface is the first to reach level 41/42/43/44/45/46!" every 10-15 minutes while I was playing.

Loving the game so far though. I'm playing a witch again, because slinging fireballs is too much fun. I got to the second playthrough with her the last time I played (when it was just two acts), which is a lot farther than I got with any other class. Even though a pure mage is a really simple build, it satisfies me. I was thinking about spending what little pay currency I got from paying $10 to get into the closed beta on the alternate spell effect for fireball that turns it into a fiery dragon skeleton or whatever, but I'm afraid I won't like it better than the standard orange orb... Might just get some more storage tabs instead.

This comment was edited on Jan 24, 2013, 07:26.

11. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 24, 2013, 06:34 eRe4s3r

What's the chance of a decent game experience by doing a public random party game from level 1 onward in this? Also what's the ping like for Europeans?

I am actually waiting a day to get all these beta guys out of my view The further they are from my first game experience the better it will be. And the higher imo, the chance to find a decent guy or gal to do a bit of relaxed coop gaming in this...

10. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 24, 2013, 05:33 Quinn

Downloading.

Fucking typical btw. Yesterday, before going to bed, I told myself "Vince, tomorrow you'll invest some time on your study. Yes indeed." I hit bluesnews and I see PoE has an open beta G'DAMN!

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

9. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 24, 2013, 05:30 Bhruic

Definitely an entertaining game, but I suspect at some point I'm going to be pretty annoyed they don't offer complete respects (they just give you the ability to take back X number of skills). Without spending a lot of time memorizing the skills and how you get to them, there's no way that I'm going to be able to come up with a really good build. Right now that won't bother me much, as it's early enough it won't be slowing me down terribly, but at some point have a very sub-optimal build is going to be an annoyance. Taking back a few points isn't going to allow me to fix that.

Minor annoyance in the grand scheme of things, of course. It certainly seems to have the Diablo "feel" to it.

8. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 24, 2013, 05:07 Denthor

It just amazes me how well GGG have done with this game. Really makes you wonder wtf blizzard were thinking with their game design. PoE is just miles ahead By comparison. All they need to do is implement something like the TF2 Hats where end users can make their own items (cosmetic no p2w shit) and post them to the store - that business model seems to make valve shitloads. Really hope this game takes off and gets 1 - 2 mil players.

I'd really love to have seen what they could have done with blizz resources assuming this is up to date, it just boggles the mind.

7. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 24, 2013, 04:56 InBlack

Better intolerable general chat, than no chat at all like that 'other' arpg had at launch....  

I have a nifty blue line!

6. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 24, 2013, 03:04 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, looks much improved since the last time I played during closed beta.

I've been fiddling around with a couple of classes, started progressing a Duelist and it was going great, right up until the end of Act 1, when I used some Fire Traps on some wolf-things that spawned a similar effect when they died. Total system lockup, video card failed, had to reboot.

It's an excuse to get up and stretch, and I guess I'll send a bug report.

general chat isn't quite intolerable, but I can see it getting that way soon.

5. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 24, 2013, 02:27 jdreyer

Aaaaaand we're back.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

4. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 23, 2013, 20:47 jdreyer

*Imagines Axis refreshing Blues every sixty seconds to get in first comment*

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

3. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 23, 2013, 20:42 Cutter

Let's rock and roll.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

2. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 23, 2013, 20:37 Tom

Aaargh.... this was looking really !@#$ing good until the server just crapped out.

Could it be? True innovation? A game with soul?

Only played for ~20 min or so but.. must..not..get..hopes..up...

1. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 23, 2013, 20:35 Axis

Prepare to lose sleep and get divorces! Don't forget to install that bedpan under your chair!  

Yours truly,

Axis

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo