Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Path of Exile Open Beta

Grinding Gear Games announces today open beta testing is now underway for Path of Exile, their upcoming action/RPG. Since there will be no character wipes going forward, this can be considered a soft launch for the free-to-play game. Here's word:

Path of Exile is a PC online action role-playing game set in a dark fantasy world. Featuring ethical microtransactions, the game is free-to-play, but not pay-to-win. Playing as one of six character classes, players find themselves banished for their past misdeeds to the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast. There, they will encounter hundreds of species of opponents laden with loot and mysterious artifacts as they explore the abandoned continent.

Key features of Path of Exile:

• A dark and deep action RPG
  • Build unlimited unique characters on a gigantic skill tree
  • Combine over 110 skill gems to create unique combat strategies
  • Explore a dark and gritty world rendered from a fixed 3D perspective
  • Download and play for free, but never 'pay-to-win'
  • Explore randomly generated levels for extreme replayability
  • Craft weapons, magic items and even end-game maps to become more powerful
  • Cooperate or compete with thousands of other exiles in a persistent online world
  • Ascend online ladders in every game mode
  • Battle in PVP tournaments for worldwide recognition

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

38. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 25, 2013, 09:50 Undocumented Alien

For people complaining about the passive tree, I agree it needs a redo in many respects, having 10 separate nodes of things like Fire Resist just seems clunky. That said its not anywhere near as complex as it appears, most classes start off in an area appropriate for building outward and as long as people pick up a fair amount of survivability stuff then they should be fine.

What would be good is to have GGG provide 3 (or whatever) "Templates" that help guide a path through that... "tree" thingy. For example, you pick an archer to play, maybe offer 3 types of archers for a starting point and it helps you navigate what you need to accomplish that template.

Just played a bit more and grabbed an Archer... have to say I'm digging the way that the game shows my arrows in the MOB(s) and in the environment, nice touch.

Liking the game more and more...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 25, 2013, 09:16 Axis

For those who complain about the 'zoom' change your monitor or aspect ratio. There's been plenty of talk about this in the beta. Depending on how you scale your size, you can gain a great advantage.

Do yourself a test, compliments of Axis. Put it in windowed mode and resize it so it's like a long rectangle. there ya go - more screen size and viewing angle than any game you've ever played.

As for the passive tree, it's both 'complex' and 'simple'. However, until you've built several characters to high level (60+), you cannot ascertain how to make complex builds with regards to gems and items and what the game throws at you- that's a fact.

It's designed that way so new players can just stuff nodes around the 'class' and they'll do ok in the default league no matter what they choose, but offer complex options once you know the system.

Oh and the crazy memory use guy - you got system problems simple as that. None of my systems ever use more than 1.5g on the client.

Yours truly,

Axis

36. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 25, 2013, 08:40 Verno

Redmask wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 07:04:
Ant wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 23:22:
Hi Var(iable?).

Variable, this is Knife over!

I'm a sucker for schlocky Tom Clancy books

The movie version of that was on TV last week actually, Harrison Ford looked so young.

What up with the armor? Not sure when to use straight armor/evasion/energy shield... I suppose it depends on what char type you will play? Armor for Tanks? Evasion for Rogues? Energy for Spell Casters?

The game is a lot more limited than I'd hoped with regards to that sort of thing. Evasion tanking isn't really feasible in the long run, the spike damage in the game gets too nutty. I found energy shield useful for most builds, it has few downsides and you get it on items as well.

For people complaining about the passive tree, I agree it needs a redo in many respects, having 10 separate nodes of things like Fire Resist just seems clunky. That said its not anywhere near as complex as it appears, most classes start off in an area appropriate for building outward and as long as people pick up a fair amount of survivability stuff then they should be fine.

For the combat stuff they are just an indie studio who probably don't have a budget for crazy feedback physics and whatnot unfortunately, I don't see that changing.

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 2013, 08:59.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

35. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 25, 2013, 08:39 Undocumented Alien

Played for about 4 hours yesterday (slow work day...). I would have to say I'm coming around on the game a bit, it's like a combo of Diablo (2) + Guild Wars (1) as far as ARPG meets Instanced gaming with a few shared player areas. I got to the first little town area after beating up the big guy on the beach and was surprised to see other live players in the town, but, it was cool (as compared to games like D3 NOT having common instances).

As far as "cons" I agree with:

Sorry to keep airing complaints, there are many things I like about the game but little annoying things keep piling up. The combat in the game could really use some work too. One of the few things Diablo3 did right was the visceral feel of combat, launching zombies into space is always a riot. I understand they're going for a more grounded approach here so I don't need anything quite that over the top but my melee character has skills like Infernal Blow and Heavy Strike which are barely animated and the enemies just kind of flinch at it.

The combat needs a better feedback mechanism, sometimes it's hard to tell if my "Club" is actually hitting a MOB or not. It's not a deal breaker, but it could be improved.

I also agree with -

My main gripes are that it's too much zoomed in, even at the max distance

I would also like to zoom out a bit more, for an isometric (which I actually like) view camera, it needs to a be a bit higher. Again, not a deal breaker, but could be improved.

Other things that weren't straight forward for a PoE noob -

Took a few seconds to figure out what the currency was when I went to buy some items from the vendors, I find it strange you have to look in the inventory window to see how much wisdom you have to spend, be better if it were a displayed somewhwere above the inventory window or in the buy/sell window (at least I didn't see it, could be wrong).

What up with the armor? Not sure when to use straight armor/evasion/energy shield... I suppose it depends on what char type you will play? Armor for Tanks? Evasion for Rogues? Energy for Spell Casters?

Pretty good game, I think I will actually be playing it a bit more, try to get some friends in to do some coop stuff.

As an FYI - in the Open Beta the Town Portal only stays open for like 4 minutes... I was buying/selling stuff and went back to my portal only to see it gone, the forums stated that the portal only persists for about 4 minutes for the beta, should be regular in the release.

34. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 25, 2013, 07:04 Redmask

Ant wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 23:22:
Hi Var(iable?).

Variable, this is Knife over!

I'm a sucker for schlocky Tom Clancy books

33. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 25, 2013, 04:04 Quinn

My main gripes are that it's too much zoomed in, even at the max distance, and the inventory. I don't understand why it has to be so goddamn small.

Other than that I'm enjoying the game. I've never seen an ARPG where I felt more involved in the quests and story than this one, and that says alot because this one is nothing to write home about. But how multiple NPC's in a town recognize your accomplishment of a single quest completion is something new, and I like it. Why should only Person A recognize I killed this monster who made everyone's life miserable and not Person B and C as well? Good touch right there.

I also love the potion system. It has a special kinda dynamic of its own. I think it's really well balanced.

Last but not least... those chained women at my health and mana orbs, wow. Gotta trigger every straight guy's imagination.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

32. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 24, 2013, 23:22 Ant

Redmask wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 22:44:
What the hell..

http://i.imgur.com/cJlMqFB.png

Stopped at the MOTD and looked, I think there's a few memory leaks to sort out
Hi Var(iable?).

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

31. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 24, 2013, 22:44 Redmask

What the hell..

http://i.imgur.com/cJlMqFB.png

Stopped at the MOTD and looked, I think there's a few memory leaks to sort out

30. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 24, 2013, 21:59 Axis

Cram wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 21:30:
A few hours into open beta, months since I've played it last. I still dislike the Isometic zoom angle and FFX sphere grid. At maximum zoom-out, I still want a substantially greater Line of Sight. D3 got that part right, if it got anything right. The sphere grid is still a mess that gives no one a clue how to build...a build.

Made a post a number of months back about my gripes with the game after 30 or so hours with the game in closed beta. Naturally, as is of course tradition here, Axis said I had no idea what I was talking about. I look forward to going through this again and posting updated thoughts on its current build. Which of course if it anything but 100% praise, as is tradition, Axis will tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Unlike many here at BN, I don't try to demonize people who don't agree with me. But since you didn't quote our conversation, I'll just have to believe you and go with your assumption you don't know what you're talking about

Yours truly,

Axis

29. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 24, 2013, 21:30 Cram

A few hours into open beta, months since I've played it last. I still dislike the Isometic zoom angle and FFX sphere grid. At maximum zoom-out, I still want a substantially greater Line of Sight. D3 got that part right, if it got anything right. The sphere grid is still a mess that gives no one a clue how to build...a build.

Made a post a number of months back about my gripes with the game after 30 or so hours with the game in closed beta. Naturally, as is of course tradition here, Axis said I had no idea what I was talking about. I look forward to going through this again and posting updated thoughts on its current build. Which of course if it anything but 100% praise, as is tradition, Axis will tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about.

28. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 24, 2013, 20:59 Redmask

Sorry to keep airing complaints, there are many things I like about the game but little annoying things keep piling up. The combat in the game could really use some work too. One of the few things Diablo3 did right was the visceral feel of combat, launching zombies into space is always a riot. I understand they're going for a more grounded approach here so I don't need anything quite that over the top but my melee character has skills like Infernal Blow and Heavy Strike which are barely animated and the enemies just kind of flinch at it.  

27. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 24, 2013, 18:45 Bhruic

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 17:57:
Use the Passive Skill Tree tool on the website to plan your build. You can copy the link for your build so you can load it back up anytime you want to tinker with it.

Which is fine for down the road, but when you first start playing, you have no idea what's good. So how can you plan a build? I have no idea if I'm going to start running out of mana a lot when I get to higher levels, so how can I know if I should try and incorporate some extra mana and/or mana regen into the build? I don't know what damage types are common, so I don't know if getting 16% Chaos Resist is worth it. And etc. There's no way to know these things unless you read other people's builds, which takes a lot of the fun out of it, or you experiment. But the way the system works now, if you put in all the points to reach some of the better passives, you're relatively committed. Sure, you can undo a couple points, but that's usually not enough if you find you should have taken a completely different path.

26. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 24, 2013, 18:36 Redmask

I like the game, it's pretty ok but the ingame passive skill tree UI is poor. It doesn't have the features the website version does which is baffling. Highlighting similar fields when you're hovering, path to destination and the ability to darken some areas or plot a path would be nice.

I would recommend ignoring peoples builds for anything other than a base line, builds in this are really personal and dependent on gem choices and play style. I'm making an elemental ranger but if a friend sat down at the keyboard and tried to play they would be totally lost.

Melee specs needs more buffs, their survivability sucks compared to ranged and they don't kill any faster. Something has to give there.

25. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 24, 2013, 17:57 Wowbagger_TIP

Bhruic wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 05:30:
Definitely an entertaining game, but I suspect at some point I'm going to be pretty annoyed they don't offer complete respects (they just give you the ability to take back X number of skills). Without spending a lot of time memorizing the skills and how you get to them, there's no way that I'm going to be able to come up with a really good build. Right now that won't bother me much, as it's early enough it won't be slowing me down terribly, but at some point have a very sub-optimal build is going to be an annoyance. Taking back a few points isn't going to allow me to fix that.

Minor annoyance in the grand scheme of things, of course. It certainly seems to have the Diablo "feel" to it.

Use the Passive Skill Tree tool on the website to plan your build. You can copy the link for your build so you can load it back up anytime you want to tinker with it.

pagb wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 09:41:
It's fine, but it's not the super-duper-son-of-diablo2-messiah-thing everyone hypes about... Still WAY behind D2. Will provide a couple of weeks of entertaining tough.

Also I don't understand all the hype about the PASSIVE tree, because everyone calling it "skill tree" is hugely misleading. It's a "passive skill tree", so all those spots in the tree are things like "+10int" or "+3% fire damage"... ultimately you can reach spots with bigger bonuses, or about 20 major passives, but that's it. Calling it skill (ot talent) tree makes it seem a lot better than it really is.
Combined with the items and skill gems, the passive tree works well, and is pretty fun to build a character with. There are a lot of keystones that can fundamentally change your character, and plenty of others that you can use to tailor your build to pretty devastating effect. I've seen some really good builds.

pagb wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 09:41:
The skill gems touch is nice, but it's like D3 skills+rune implemented into items, making it harder to people to get into... and can lead people into make huge mistakes, like selling items with leveled gems socketed.

Pretty sure you can't sell items that have gems still socketed in them. You have to remove the gems first.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

24. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 24, 2013, 17:20 pagb

Ant wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 15:47:
Undocumented Alien wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 13:43:
I tried this a few months ago, thought that it was a very slow game and it didn't pull me in. But... since it's F2P, and they have worked on it for a bit since then, I'll give it another try.
F2P? Then, I will skip its beta then.
All the microtransactions are cosmetic, well you can purchase 2 additional stash tabs, and more character slots... but you begin with enough of both.

23. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 24, 2013, 15:47 Ant

Undocumented Alien wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 13:43:
I tried this a few months ago, thought that it was a very slow game and it didn't pull me in. But... since it's F2P, and they have worked on it for a bit since then, I'll give it another try.
F2P? Then, I will skip its beta then.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

22. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 24, 2013, 13:43 Undocumented Alien

21. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 24, 2013, 12:00 Alamar

I installed this last night... And that ends the story heh...

I hope to get around to it...

I played an open beta weekend or something around a year ago, then got accepted, but never played, the beta... It surely didn't blow me away, perhaps in part, because of all the over-hyped comments from here (and likely in the thread I'm about to read : ).

I also don't like all the 'spin' about the massive passive (heh) tree, as it's not unlike news entertainment making a story bigger than it is... In other words, the tree isn't as big as it seems... It's just that they put every class' section in one tree. Oh, but you can go off in any direction for any class... BS : )

Anyhow... If I have time tonight, I'll give it another try... I imagine it's gotten better : )

-Alamar

20. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 24, 2013, 11:49 Axis

jdreyer wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 20:47:
*Imagines Axis refreshing Blues every sixty seconds to get in first comment*

Haha close! I got disconnected and hit Blues to see if they mentioned the open yet and here it was!

Have fun!

Yours truly,

Axis

19. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 24, 2013, 11:26 Quinn

pagb wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 10:59:
Ant wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 10:36:
Uh, where's the open beta stuff? I want to play! I think I signed up months ago, but nothing about it after it.
Download the client, login, play

That, but first make sure you have a user account on the website and that you're logged in otherwise you won't find an option to download anything.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo