Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Path of Exile Open Beta

Grinding Gear Games announces today open beta testing is now underway for Path of Exile, their upcoming action/RPG. Since there will be no character wipes going forward, this can be considered a soft launch for the free-to-play game. Here's word:

Path of Exile is a PC online action role-playing game set in a dark fantasy world. Featuring ethical microtransactions, the game is free-to-play, but not pay-to-win. Playing as one of six character classes, players find themselves banished for their past misdeeds to the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast. There, they will encounter hundreds of species of opponents laden with loot and mysterious artifacts as they explore the abandoned continent.

Key features of Path of Exile:

• A dark and deep action RPG
  • Build unlimited unique characters on a gigantic skill tree
  • Combine over 110 skill gems to create unique combat strategies
  • Explore a dark and gritty world rendered from a fixed 3D perspective
  • Download and play for free, but never 'pay-to-win'
  • Explore randomly generated levels for extreme replayability
  • Craft weapons, magic items and even end-game maps to become more powerful
  • Cooperate or compete with thousands of other exiles in a persistent online world
  • Ascend online ladders in every game mode
  • Battle in PVP tournaments for worldwide recognition

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

58. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 29, 2013, 00:39 Bhruic

Quinn wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 11:38:
Somehow I don't feel like starting it up anymore. It started to feel messy when Act 2 started. This is because you were getting multiple quests all over the fucking place, which made you travel back and forth.

You'll really only need to do that for your first playthrough. In subsequent ones, you'll (or at least I did) figure out how to do all the quests without having to repeat areas. For some reason the way they did it, they don't have the quests given out for numerous ones until you complete other ones. What you may not realize is that you don't have to have a quest assigned before you are able to do it. So you can go through and do quite a few of the quests immediately, which cuts down on repeating areas a lot.

Plus you'll find that Act 3 is a little more linear than Act 2 - about halfway between 1 and 2 I'd say.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 28, 2013, 16:49 Undocumented Alien

They help but even when teleporting back to them you still have to traverse the entire, again randomized map again.

I believe there is a "timer" that will determine if you get a new instance of a "zone" or keep the current one when using either town portals or way points. I believe in this beta the zones are only being held for 4 minutes, whereas the "release" game will hold an empty instance for 8-12 minutes. So... I guess you have to sell/purchase really quick and get back into the instance.

I had gone through a town portal and took my sweet ass time selling and purchasing and when I went to go back into my portal it was gone, had to walk for a bit with respawned zones. Found out that the timeout was 4 minutes for open beta. Code testing...

So, in the release you should get around 10 minutes before a instance resets. That may help.

56. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 28, 2013, 16:11 Quinn

Undocumented Alien wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 14:09:
This is because you were getting multiple quests all over the fucking place, which made you travel back and forth.

Don't the waypoints help with this? Before I log off I try to at least get to a waypoint so I don't have to go through everything again. I don't recall having to redo many "zones".

They help but even when teleporting back to them you still have to traverse the entire, again randomized map again.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

55. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 28, 2013, 14:09 Undocumented Alien

This is because you were getting multiple quests all over the fucking place, which made you travel back and forth.

Don't the waypoints help with this? Before I log off I try to at least get to a waypoint so I don't have to go through everything again. I don't recall having to redo many "zones".

54. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 28, 2013, 11:38 Quinn

I was excited while playing this game.

BUT...

Somehow I don't feel like starting it up anymore. It started to feel messy when Act 2 started. This is because you were getting multiple quests all over the fucking place, which made you travel back and forth. Now that's all cool and dandy, but I freaking hated those respawns! And not only that!!!! THE AREAS YOU HAD BEEN IN HAD BEEN ONCE AGAIN RANDOMIZED!!!!

Now.. I like exploring, but not so much in an ARPG like Diablo or PoE. Nor do I like clearing my way through the same albeit randomized goddamn area again. The way progression gave way for repetitiveness in PoE is just fucking abysmal...

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

53. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 28, 2013, 10:16 Undocumented Alien

I can't believe all the shit Diablo 3 got for making you be online all the time, and yet nobody sees that as bad for this game.

For the same resons Guild Wars (1) didn't get any crap for being an online ARGP, those being:

1) Guild Wars never had a Offline Single Player mode.
2) Guild Wars didn't build it's brand off offering SP/LAN support, it was a NEW IP.

Diablo has a history -

1) Diablo (1) was a mostly SP/LAN game as the internet wasn't very accessible (modem speeds were around 28.8 or less) at the time for most households. Diablo made most of thier money from SP and LAN players, which of course allowed D2 to be created...
2) Diablo 2 was a bit more of a mix with the internet becoming more accessible... BUT, D2's creators (who are gone for D3) still understood that Offline SP and LAN were important for gamers that got Diablo were it was. They made B.Net for those who wanted to do ladders etc. Not a bad thing, but it was a CHOICE, and OPTION.
3) Now Diablo 3 comes along, the buisness suits see the success of D1 & D2 (both of which were built on the backs of a LOT of SP/LAN gamers), and see the almigthy cash grab thier for the taking. They hold the brand name hostage ("Hey, you guys love Diablo!! Our way or the highway!"), drop Single Player Offline and LAN to ENFORCE THE USE OF THEIR REAL MONEY AUCTION HOUSE.

If D3 were to have ADDED another option to the offering (RMAH), and kept the legacy modes (SP/LAN/B.NET), then what used to be Blizzard wouldn't have gotten as much shit about the game. There was ZERO good excuse for dropping Offline SP (and no, no ability to import an offline toon into B.NET, JUST like D2). D3 got shit because of the pure greed of it all and fucking over drops to entice people to use the RMAH.

Now, in regards to PoE... am I pyched that it's online only? No, not really, would still LOVE to have a new Offline SP (OPTION) ARPG (like T1/T2). But... PoE costs
ZERO
, that's $0 to play. D3 cost's $60 for gimped (drops) gameplay and a forced online experience for thier RMAH. PoE will have (from day 1) PvP, Ladders, shared social areas, etc. FAR superior to D3 and a FAR smaller Dev resources.

PoE is very much like playing D1/D2 but on a Guild Wars (1) infrastructure (PvP, ladders, coop, shared social areas, etc).

AAAAANNNNNDDDD it's a new IP.

52. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 27, 2013, 14:44 Quinn

Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 14:39:
I can't believe all the shit Diablo 3 got for making you be online all the time, and yet nobody sees that as bad for this game.

1. Because this game did't cost you 60 bucks;
2. You actually see other people in town and have chat channels.

D3 made you be online while you were completey cut off from everyone while playing solo.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

51. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 27, 2013, 14:39 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

50. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 26, 2013, 20:44 eRe4s3r

Well as I said later part of why I stopped playing is that it was boring and the various other things I don't like, like interupt of skill attacks (Gothic 3 did that.....) ,p  

49. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 26, 2013, 08:19 Denthor

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 10:17:
The potion system has a pretty big and stupid flaw though. You can't stock up on health once you ran out of it in a boss fight. I guess it is a design choice, but if you used those 4 health and 1 mana you are completely done for. I played up to the boss medusa thing, got her down to half health but here stupid freeze attack... anyway, after that I quit and never intend to come back. The potion system works great against mobs, but if there is only 1 extremely strong enemy you are essentially rolling a dice before the battle even starts. With the random misses (hate that too) and that enemies can interupt a skill attack costing you mana ... not the game for me sadly.

(And yeah, I guess stocking up on stronger healing is a solution to tackle the boss, but that requires grinding, a lot of grinding.

Wow really?? You can just drop a portal and refill flasks in town. What a rant for something that is so easily overcome**. Ya part of the problem if a solution is not readily apparent ya give up and move on

Stock up on Cold resist (20%+ rings avail from vendors) and you probably dont even need to use more than 2 health potions.

**Not sure if you can do that in cruel/merciless or custom maps but def on normal.

48. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 25, 2013, 17:39 Quinn

Off-topic... as for all the hate we've been talking about in this community, time for some beauty.. passion.. give it a try. FFS...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q8W_spc_Nc

This. This is beauty. This is passion.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

47. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 25, 2013, 17:29 eRe4s3r

Wha.. portals.. lol Diablo 2 taught me never to try opening portals in boss fights. I guess I should throw that overboard.. but I still don't like it much. Either starting phase is extremely dull or the game simply has no effect on me. I am actually bored, and I am only very rarely bored in a hack'n slash. I love the back-story but... I don't wanna play the game for it.. hmhhmhm  

46. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 25, 2013, 15:35 Undocumented Alien

Just try what I said about the resize. Go to windowed mode, drag the bottom of the client up to resize it into a rectangle. You'll see what I mean immediately.

Awesome! My Monitor runs at 1920x1080, went into Windowed Mode, kept it wide but have about an 1.5" on top and bottom and created a nice wide rectangle, view is PERFECT now, plus I can see my desktop a bit to do other things in parallel.

Thanks for that "fix".

45. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 25, 2013, 14:41 Wowbagger_TIP

Quinn wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 04:04:
My main gripes are that it's too much zoomed in, even at the max distance, and the inventory. I don't understand why it has to be so goddamn small.

Other than that I'm enjoying the game. I've never seen an ARPG where I felt more involved in the quests and story than this one, and that says alot because this one is nothing to write home about. But how multiple NPC's in a town recognize your accomplishment of a single quest completion is something new, and I like it. Why should only Person A recognize I killed this monster who made everyone's life miserable and not Person B and C as well? Good touch right there.

I also love the potion system. It has a special kinda dynamic of its own. I think it's really well balanced.

Last but not least... those chained women at my health and mana orbs, wow. Gotta trigger every straight guy's imagination.

The potion system has a pretty big and stupid flaw though. You can't stock up on health once you ran out of it in a boss fight. I guess it is a design choice, but if you used those 4 health and 1 mana you are completely done for. I played up to the boss medusa thing, got her down to half health but here stupid freeze attack... anyway, after that I quit and never intend to come back. The potion system works great against mobs, but if there is only 1 extremely strong enemy you are essentially rolling a dice before the battle even starts. With the random misses (hate that too) and that enemies can interupt a skill attack costing you mana ... not the game for me sadly.

(And yeah, I guess stocking up on stronger healing is a solution to tackle the boss, but that requires grinding, a lot of grinding.

You need to change your tactics most likely. I know that that boss is a rather tough fight so early in the game, but she's very beatable if you plan ahead a little. Unless you just have a terrible build and terrible equipment, you should be able to beat her. Definitely equip ice resistance rings and equipment. Makes a big difference. Oh, and a flask that can unfreeze you is good too.

Edit: And like Axis said, throw up a portal once you enter her lair so that you can get back in there if you die. With full flasks, btw. It's not an easy game, but it is pretty fun and interesting.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

44. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 25, 2013, 14:05 Axis

Was there a post on their Mem Leak you could link, Red? There'll be issues but they really nailed down the leaks many months ago, but I could see how something could get introduced with the new client.

As for the boss fights, there's only a few (like oak, kraiten, alira) where you have to plan accordingly.

For big bosses like Vaal, you want to throw up a portal. Once yo go through and back you'll have full flasks again. I'll note though, a well rounded build won't need to portal.

Most of us have 'goto' mods on flasks and items for certain bosses, but that doesn't help much if you don't have a solid defense via the passives, and know the boss's a bit so you can use twitch skill.

I'm speaking totally from Hardcore where you don't wanna die.

Just try what I said about the resize. Go to windowed mode, drag the bottom of the client up to resize it into a rectangle. You'll see what I mean immediately. Very few people know about this btw

Yours truly,

Axis

43. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 25, 2013, 13:20 Redmask

Tracked down the memory leak, the client keeps getting raw HTML that it can't parse, likely human error. The devs say they will fix it soon.
The webserver occasionally serves up utterly fucked stuff like <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/strict.dtd"><!-- <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN""http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"> --><HTML><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="0.1"><META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache"><META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="-1"><TITLE></TITLE></HEAD><BODY><P></BODY></HTML> which just sets it off in an infinite loop forever.

For reference, it should be sending Welcome to Path of Exile's Open Beta! We've updated the website with new microtransactions that can be purchased! Thanks for your continued support. -- the client doesn't parse HTML afaik, but uses something like <colour:red>{Warning, something is going wrong.}.

Played some more and decided that I really don't like melee in this game, the skills just aren't as fun as ranged and they seem to die so quickly. Going to stick with a ranged class.

42. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 25, 2013, 10:29 Verno

Flasks lose all charges when they aren't in your active belt

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

41. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 25, 2013, 10:17 eRe4s3r

Quinn wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 04:04:
My main gripes are that it's too much zoomed in, even at the max distance, and the inventory. I don't understand why it has to be so goddamn small.

Other than that I'm enjoying the game. I've never seen an ARPG where I felt more involved in the quests and story than this one, and that says alot because this one is nothing to write home about. But how multiple NPC's in a town recognize your accomplishment of a single quest completion is something new, and I like it. Why should only Person A recognize I killed this monster who made everyone's life miserable and not Person B and C as well? Good touch right there.

I also love the potion system. It has a special kinda dynamic of its own. I think it's really well balanced.

Last but not least... those chained women at my health and mana orbs, wow. Gotta trigger every straight guy's imagination.

40. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 25, 2013, 10:09 Redmask

Axis wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 09:16:
Oh and the crazy memory use guy - you got system problems simple as that. None of my systems ever use more than 1.5g on the client.

My PC is fine, I have a base Clonezilla system image I restore when I troubleshoot and ran some checks to be sure though then looked on the forums. It was actually the server sending malformed data in the login process which was causing a memory leak on some systems, there was a thread on it and they said they were going to fix it on the server end.

It's a beta so I expect some bugs, it wasn't a big deal but I was just surprised it happened doing nothing but sitting at the MOTD.

Do yourself a test, compliments of Axis. Put it in windowed mode and resize it so it's like a long rectangle. there ya go - more screen size and viewing angle than any game you've ever played.

I can't really make sense of what you're saying here, how does changing it to windowed mode help increase the visible distance in pixels? Do you have a link? I think people are asking for the ability to zoom out and to scale the UI.

39. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta Jan 25, 2013, 10:05 Quinn

I honestly don't see the issue with the passive skill tree. It's very user/noob friendly.

Just scale down (or up) the direction you start from (which is strength for marauder, intelligence for the mages and dexterity for the duelist and rogue etc) and scan the node "bundles" for the talents that suit your playstyle.

For example, as a Duelist it only took me the first 2 minutes to find out I wanted to play a dual wielding guy, using swords primarily. I looked in the passive skill tree and BOOM BOOM BOOM I found all the nodes that were of interest to me: Nodes that led to the node "bundles" that increase my sword stats and dual wielding stats. Now I knew what road to travel in that gigantic skill tree. Done and done. Easy as fuck. In every way.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo