Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

THQ Sale Results?

Kotaku has what they say is the letter sent to all the (now former) staff of THQ by CEO Brian Farrell and president Jason Rubin. This outlines how some of the company's assets have been divided, noting that some properties remain unsold, including their publishing operation, Vigil, and some other IPs. Here are the details provided in the letter, which remain unconfirmed at the moment:

• Yesterday morning, we received a competing bid for the operating business, along with Clearlake's offer, and numerous offers for separate assets.
  • During an auction process that lasted over 22 hours, the final conclusion was that the separate-asset bids would net more than a single buyer for the majority of the company.
  • Shortly, we will, present the results to the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, which must concur with our assessment.
  • The proposed sales of multiple assets is as follows :
    • Sega agreed to purchase Relic
    • Koch Media agreed to purchase Volition and Metro
    • Crytek agreed to purchase Homefront
    • Take 2 agreed purchase Evolve and
    • Ubisoft agreed to purchase Montreal and South Park

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

30. Re: THQ Sale Results? Jan 23, 2013, 17:56 Angrius Maximis

Gross...who on Earth would want to buy Homefront  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: THQ Sale Results? Jan 23, 2013, 17:55 Redmask

The Titan's Quest IP is still being auctioned, wooo!  

28. Re: THQ Sale Results? Jan 23, 2013, 17:49 nin

zombiefan wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 17:33:
(shakes piss off end of dick)

You got what you deserved, THQ.

(turns and walks away from grave)

Will this be the last of your posts, then?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

27. Re: THQ Sale Results? Jan 23, 2013, 17:49 Prez

The preliminary sales list actually doesn't look terrible. Sega acquiring Relic is especially hopeful to me, since it was Sega that published part of the "Total War" series, which is hardcore strategy. That at least seems hopeful for a possible Homeworld 3.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

26. Re: THQ Sale Results? Jan 23, 2013, 17:34 yuastnav

Why all the hate for Deep Silver?
They publish the X games and those are great so it's not all automatically doom and gloom.

25. Re: THQ Sale Results? Jan 23, 2013, 17:33 zombiefan

(shakes piss off end of dick)

You got what you deserved, THQ.

(turns and walks away from grave)

24. Re: THQ Sale Results? Jan 23, 2013, 17:25 nin

Creston wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 17:07:
Flatline wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 16:41:
And even if they did make a SR game it'd be 27 hours of taking your homies out for pizza and bowling.

*beats nin to the punch*

COUSIN!!! LET'S GO SEE SOME TITTIES!!

I still can't fathom why people say the SR tech is better than the GTA tech. Obviously preferences vary, and people can like the SR implementation better than the GTA implementation, but driving in SR feels like you're playing one of the old Outrun cabinets, whereas driving in GTA feels like you're driving something with actual WEIGHT attached to it.

Creston

AH-MER-AH-KIN TIT-TAAAAAAAYS!!!!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

23. Re: THQ Sale Results? Jan 23, 2013, 17:19 AdamK47

Perhaps under Sega we can see Relic developing Homeworld 3. I wish!  

22. Re: THQ Sale Results? Jan 23, 2013, 17:07 Creston

Flatline wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 16:41:
And even if they did make a SR game it'd be 27 hours of taking your homies out for pizza and bowling.

*beats nin to the punch*

COUSIN!!! LET'S GO SEE SOME TITTIES!!

I still can't fathom why people say the SR tech is better than the GTA tech. Obviously preferences vary, and people can like the SR implementation better than the GTA implementation, but driving in SR feels like you're playing one of the old Outrun cabinets, whereas driving in GTA feels like you're driving something with actual WEIGHT attached to it.

Creston

21. Re: THQ Sale Results? Jan 23, 2013, 17:04 Techie714

Koch Media agreed to purchase Volition and Metro....Hmm Interesting.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

20. Re: THQ Sale Results? Jan 23, 2013, 17:04 Creston

Are Koch Media the guys behind Deep Silver? I can't remember. I think they are, in which case it's not great, since Deep Silver is one of the worst fucking publishers on the planet. Enjoy your TAGES DRM on your Steam games...

In any case, at least most of THQ's assets wound up with companies with track records, and thus we can hopefully at least expect titles like SR and South Park (etc) to continue and be released at some point.

So that's pretty good news. Better news is no EA or fucking Activision in that list.

Creston

19. Re: THQ Sale Results? Jan 23, 2013, 16:53 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 16:30:
Take 2 would have killed SR if they bought it. Why buy your biggest competitor and keep producing it? But SR barely eats into GTAs sales, so why bother at all?

And, personally, I dislike the GTA tech. The graphics are great but the controls feel off to me. Running feels weird, driving feels terrible, and combat is crap relative to SR.

They could keep both going if both are profitable, otherwise someone else will fill the gap.

I agree about the tech, as far as GTA goes. It's always been a bit awkward but I found GTA4 to be unplayable. Mainly because of the driving (if that's not enjoyable, GTA really doesn't have much going for it) but I also found performance to be poor, the camera to be badly positioned and on-foot controls cumbersome.

- Quboid

18. Re: THQ Sale Results? Jan 23, 2013, 16:46 Paketep

I'm glad EA and Acti bought nothing, and Ubi's paws where far from Relic.

It could have been SO MUCH worse.

17. Re: THQ Sale Results? Jan 23, 2013, 16:45 Flatline

Ceribaen wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 16:43:
Redmask wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 16:21:
If the worst result of this sale is that I have to click launch twice in Steam and uPlay to get into the South Park RPG then I can live with that. The Koch Media purchase is an odd one, I think they're the parent company behind the Dead Island guys. The companies and IP are often two separate things, it would be good to know which companies are being purchased with their respective IP intact or not.

You forget the probable always online requirement.
Unfortunately UBI getting it is terrible in my eyes. Not sending them a single cent anymore.

I thought Ubi ditched the always online requirement for all games.

http://tinyurl.com/cnrymoc

16. Re: THQ Sale Results? Jan 23, 2013, 16:44 Asmodai

Crytek + Homefront is interesting. I always thought that was a game with a great (if cliched) concept, some cool bits in it but generally way too short and way too on rails (survivalist camp anyone...).

ps. Wow Aseven, I haven't heard someone mention Ocean in years... =)

15. Re: THQ Sale Results? Jan 23, 2013, 16:43 Ceribaen

Redmask wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 16:21:
If the worst result of this sale is that I have to click launch twice in Steam and uPlay to get into the South Park RPG then I can live with that. The Koch Media purchase is an odd one, I think they're the parent company behind the Dead Island guys. The companies and IP are often two separate things, it would be good to know which companies are being purchased with their respective IP intact or not.

You forget the probable always online requirement.
Unfortunately UBI getting it is terrible in my eyes. Not sending them a single cent anymore.

14. Re: THQ Sale Results? Jan 23, 2013, 16:41 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 16:30:
Cutter wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 16:27:
The Half Elf wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 16:19:
22 mill for Volitionm, does that include their IP's?

Anyone wondering Kock Media is Deep Silver. REALLY wish Take 2 would have bought Volition, would have loved a Saints Row game with Rockstar Tech.

Yeah I thought it would have been natch for them to want to get their hands on Saints Row. Dunno how well it bodes with Koch getting it. I suppose only time will tell.

Take 2 would have killed SR if they bought it. Why buy your biggest competitor and keep producing it? But SR barely eats into GTAs sales, so why bother at all?

And, personally, I dislike the GTA tech. The graphics are great but the controls feel off to me. Running feels weird, driving feels terrible, and combat is crap relative to SR.

13. Re: THQ Sale Results? Jan 23, 2013, 16:41 theyarecomingforyou

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 16:19:
REALLY wish Take 2 would have bought Volition, would have loved a Saints Row game with Rockstar Tech.
WTF?! That's completely backwards. I'd rather see a GTA game with the SR tech.

As for the sale, as long as Metro: Last Light still makes it out then I'm happy. And Sega picking up Relic is nice, as it means it now has both Warhammer franchises.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

12. Re: THQ Sale Results? Jan 23, 2013, 16:36 Wallshadows

Ubisoft agreed to purchase Montreal and South Park

Ankle bracelets and unauthorized reproduction will get you kicked out.

11. Re: THQ Sale Results? Jan 23, 2013, 16:30 McSterls

Ubisoft agreed to purchase Montreal and South Park

Good luck with that. I'm siding with South Park Studios statement that THQ doesn't have the right to sell the game.

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo