Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gatherings & Competitions

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 23, 2013, 14:36 RollinThundr

jdreyer wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 13:51:
RollinThundr wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 10:01:
Blizzard and next gen should never be used in the same sentence. Here's a developer that won't evolve past 2005 visuals just so all their low end customer base doesn't have to upgrade their P4 1gig's.

Wow, Thundr and I have the same opinion?!?

*Scans skies for world-ending meteor.*

I know right? I agreed with Beamer on something the other day, I thought the end was finally upon us.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 23, 2013, 14:04 jdreyer

RE: Blizzard and Photorealism. Here's the thing I'm wondering: at what point is the balance found between graphic fidelity and cost. You're already seeing some developers eschewing photo-realism for a less realistic, more stylized art style (BL2, Bastion) as well as a return to 8-bit art (Minecraft, FTL, most indie games). It's extremely expensive to make graphics look photo realistic (just ask the makers of The Hobbit). So, while I appreciate and look forward to each iterative leap, I'm wondering where the ceiling is.

The other day the Army was offering $44m to make a country sized game with the graphic fidelity of a modern Call of Duty. That seems too low by a factor of 5 to me. How expensive will it be to make an even more photo realistic game 10 years from now?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 23, 2013, 13:55 jdreyer

Bill Borre wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 12:53:
It's always been funny to me that people like both their cut-scenes and their games. The Blizzard games that I played in the past always left me with a feeling of disappointment after I watched a cut-scene because I wanted to play a game that looked like THAT.

Yeah, that whole "Pre" part in the phrase "pre-rendered cut scene" is kind of antithetical to gaming in real time. I felt that way back in the 90s, but game graphics are much closer to pre-rendered than they used to be.

6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 23, 2013, 13:51 jdreyer

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 10:01:
Blizzard and next gen should never be used in the same sentence. Here's a developer that won't evolve past 2005 visuals just so all their low end customer base doesn't have to upgrade their P4 1gig's.

Wow, Thundr and I have the same opinion?!?

*Scans skies for world-ending meteor.*

5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 23, 2013, 12:53 Bill Borre

It's always been funny to me that people like both their cut-scenes and their games. The Blizzard games that I played in the past always left me with a feeling of disappointment after I watched a cut-scene because I wanted to play a game that looked like THAT.  

4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 23, 2013, 11:07 Techie714

dj LiTh wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 10:36:
Considering blizzards cut scenes have long been industry leading it makes sense.

Totally agree, nobody makes a CGI scene like Blizz!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 23, 2013, 10:36 dj LiTh

Considering blizzards cut scenes have long been industry leading it makes sense.  

2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 23, 2013, 10:01 Undih

So Blizzard is going to discuss next-gen photorealism of the 90's? They aren't quite up to par with other this gen developers.  

1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 23, 2013, 10:01 RollinThundr

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo