Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

Gatherings & Competitions

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 23, 2013, 14:36 RollinThundr

jdreyer wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 13:51:
RollinThundr wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 10:01:
Blizzard and next gen should never be used in the same sentence. Here's a developer that won't evolve past 2005 visuals just so all their low end customer base doesn't have to upgrade their P4 1gig's.

Wow, Thundr and I have the same opinion?!?

*Scans skies for world-ending meteor.*

I know right? I agreed with Beamer on something the other day, I thought the end was finally upon us.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 23, 2013, 14:04 jdreyer

RE: Blizzard and Photorealism. Here's the thing I'm wondering: at what point is the balance found between graphic fidelity and cost. You're already seeing some developers eschewing photo-realism for a less realistic, more stylized art style (BL2, Bastion) as well as a return to 8-bit art (Minecraft, FTL, most indie games). It's extremely expensive to make graphics look photo realistic (just ask the makers of The Hobbit). So, while I appreciate and look forward to each iterative leap, I'm wondering where the ceiling is.

The other day the Army was offering $44m to make a country sized game with the graphic fidelity of a modern Call of Duty. That seems too low by a factor of 5 to me. How expensive will it be to make an even more photo realistic game 10 years from now?

"phew. Was going to have nin get out of the van and go knock on the door...." - Bats

7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 23, 2013, 13:55 jdreyer

Bill Borre wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 12:53:
It's always been funny to me that people like both their cut-scenes and their games. The Blizzard games that I played in the past always left me with a feeling of disappointment after I watched a cut-scene because I wanted to play a game that looked like THAT.

Yeah, that whole "Pre" part in the phrase "pre-rendered cut scene" is kind of antithetical to gaming in real time. I felt that way back in the 90s, but game graphics are much closer to pre-rendered than they used to be.

"phew. Was going to have nin get out of the van and go knock on the door...." - Bats

6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 23, 2013, 13:51 jdreyer

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 10:01:
Blizzard and next gen should never be used in the same sentence. Here's a developer that won't evolve past 2005 visuals just so all their low end customer base doesn't have to upgrade their P4 1gig's.

Wow, Thundr and I have the same opinion?!?

*Scans skies for world-ending meteor.*

5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 23, 2013, 12:53 Bill Borre

It's always been funny to me that people like both their cut-scenes and their games. The Blizzard games that I played in the past always left me with a feeling of disappointment after I watched a cut-scene because I wanted to play a game that looked like THAT.  

4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 23, 2013, 11:07 Techie714

dj LiTh wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 10:36:
Considering blizzards cut scenes have long been industry leading it makes sense.

Totally agree, nobody makes a CGI scene like Blizz!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 23, 2013, 10:36 dj LiTh

Considering blizzards cut scenes have long been industry leading it makes sense.  

2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 23, 2013, 10:01 Undih

So Blizzard is going to discuss next-gen photorealism of the 90's? They aren't quite up to par with other this gen developers.  

1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 23, 2013, 10:01 RollinThundr

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo