Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Stick of Truth Sticking Point in THQ Sale

This legal objection (Adobe Acrobat format) filed in Delaware poses South Park Digital Studios' objections to THQ's plans to sell South Park: The Stick of Truth today along with the other assets as part of THQ's bankruptcy. The company says the license THQ was granted for the game is non-transferrable, and that it is still owed $2.2+ million. This reply (Adobe Acrobat format) filed by THQ (spotted, like the first brief, by NeoGAF) asks the court to overrule this motion. Thanks nin via Joystiq.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Stick of Truth Sticking Point in THQ Sale Jan 23, 2013, 04:26 Jerykk

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 17:24:
What I'm wondering now is, if it's non-transferable and THQ is no more, then what happens to the game? South Park studios will get their money one way or another (probably), but does the game end up in limbo? I was actually looking forward to playing it... And what about Obsidian?

Obsidian has already been paid for the milestones they've delivered up until now and if the contract is canceled, they get cancellation compensation. Given that the game is probably just about done by now, I don't think the cancellation would hurt them much financially, aside from the game's absence in their portfolio. The likelihood of them actually getting royalties after the game's release is slim to none anyway.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Stick of Truth Sticking Point in THQ Sale Jan 22, 2013, 18:25 StingingVelvet

I'm super eager to discover who bought what IP in this sale.  

9. Re: Stick of Truth Sticking Point in THQ Sale Jan 22, 2013, 18:12 NKD

Beelzebud wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 16:16:
I hope this doesn't mean Obsidian is the one getting screwed at the end of the day....

Has Obsidian ever NOT been screwed? Nearly everything they've released has been shat on by publisher shenanigans.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

8. Re: Stick of Truth Sticking Point in THQ Sale Jan 22, 2013, 17:59 LittleMe

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 17:24:
What I'm wondering now is, if it's non-transferable and THQ is no more, then what happens to the game? South Park studios will get their money one way or another (probably), but does the game end up in limbo? I was actually looking forward to playing it... And what about Obsidian?

Speculation=1. Then the rights revert to South Park Digital Studios. SPDS then would have a strong incentive to publish it themselves, strike a new deal with another publisher or maybe Obsidian could publish it.. Hard to say for sure. But THQ will probably continue in some skeletal form just to publish the game since they'd net some cash out of it.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

7. Re: Stick of Truth Sticking Point in THQ Sale Jan 22, 2013, 17:24 jacobvandy

6. Re: Stick of Truth Sticking Point in THQ Sale Jan 22, 2013, 16:51 DangerDog

Company of Heroes 2 is still due for release in March? Will Relic throw in the towel shortly after? Doesn't look good for a multiplayer centric game.  

5. Re: Stick of Truth Sticking Point in THQ Sale Jan 22, 2013, 16:40 Cutter

And they're asking $60 for it retail? Yeah, good luck with that. I'll see it in the bargain bin thanks.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: Stick of Truth Sticking Point in THQ Sale Jan 22, 2013, 16:16 Beelzebud

I hope this doesn't mean Obsidian is the one getting screwed at the end of the day....  

3. Re: Stick of Truth Sticking Point in THQ Sale Jan 22, 2013, 16:08 KS

Apparently this is the first time a "non-transferrable" asset has ever been involvrd in bankruptcy. Rolleyes  

2. Re: Stick of Truth Sticking Point in THQ Sale Jan 22, 2013, 16:06 nin

zombiefan wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 16:03:
What?? THQ owes people money? Maybe another sale would help?

BWWWAAAahahahaahaha....you can't have another sale!

Still available

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Stick of Truth Sticking Point in THQ Sale Jan 22, 2013, 16:03 zombiefan

What?? THQ owes people money? Maybe another sale would help?

BWWWAAAahahahaahaha....you can't have another sale!

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo