Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups

The Elder Scrolls Online Website is now accepting applications to beta test Bethesda's upcoming MMO installment in their RPG series. This announcement has details along with this cinematic trailer, saying: "Please be aware that this is just beta sign-ups. Once our first beta test begins, we’ll make sure everyone knows—watch our official website, Facebook, Google+, and Twitter for an announcement about the first round of invites." Here's the official announcement:

Bethesda Softworks® and ZeniMax® Online Studios today announced that beta signups are now open for The Elder Scrolls® Online at ElderScrollsOnline.com. Interested gamers simply have to go to the website and register for a chance to play. Selected beta registrants will be granted early access to beta test the game. They will be among the first to experience this epic world with others in one of 2013’s most highly-anticipated releases. Timing and details of the start of playtests will be provided at a later date to those who register.

“We’re really excited to get the game into players’ hands,” said Matt Firor, game director of The Elder Scrolls Online. “We receive invaluable feedback through the beta process, and that helps us ensure that the game will be one of the best online gaming experiences ever offered -- one worthy of The Elder Scrolls franchise.”

The Elder Scrolls Online brings the award-winning Elder Scrolls experience online for the first time. Using ZeniMax Online’s Megaserver technology, players will join one connected world with a built in social network that lets them stay up-to-date with everything their friends are doing. Megaserver technology avoids the hassle of shard selection and makes The Elder Scrolls Online one of the most socially enabled games ever created. Whether playing alone, or with hundreds of friends, players can develop their own style of play as they embark upon an epic quest across Tamriel.

View
76 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

76. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups Jan 28, 2013, 04:22 Quinn

Dev wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 12:53:
Quinn wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 03:48:
And DAMN that cinematic was fantastic!! It held my full attention the entire time! That wasn't fully CGI was it? Some footage was actually real. I hope. Or technology just got scary...
That would be the diff between a CGI sequence done by professionals with lots of money, vs that done by amateurs with little to no money.

The first few seconds... with that Nord and his fellow dark-elves entering that cave... those were real actors...

Or well.. maybe they weren't. The animation betrays. But fucking hell that lighting in those first few secs is just phenomenal.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

75. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups Jan 27, 2013, 12:53 Dev

Quinn wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 03:48:
And DAMN that cinematic was fantastic!! It held my full attention the entire time! That wasn't fully CGI was it? Some footage was actually real. I hope. Or technology just got scary...
That would be the diff between a CGI sequence done by professionals with lots of money, vs that done by amateurs with little to no money.

74. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 23, 2013, 18:53 Redmask

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 18:42:
I think the little they have shown it looks great, very much like what you would think a coop Skyrim would look like. Too me it is different then std mmo fare, a little bit surprised by those thinking it's the same ole same ole.

Aside from a big elder scrolls world, I haven't seen them show anything original or exciting. It was a rough dev cut but the combat looked very typical MMO. I like Elder Scrolls but I won't be buying it to do generic quests with a friend, the industry has been there, done that so many times. Co-op Skyrim sounds really boring to me, I'd much more interested in hearing about player driven factions and things with real promise. Just doing your average Elder Scrolls dungeon with a buddy is going to stay fresh for about 2 days.

I hate to be cynical but the MMO industry rarely warrants optimism. If they bring something new to the table then I will check it out and give it a chance though.

73. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 23, 2013, 18:42 HorrorScope

ASeven wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 13:18:
Maybe not $300M directly invested into the game but this game is already moving that amount of money around. Source

Seriously that link is one of the best finds I've seen on the net. There are your ES Online roots.

I think the little they have shown it looks great, very much like what you would think a coop Skyrim would look like. Too me it is different then std mmo fare, a little bit surprised by those thinking it's the same ole same ole. Yeah it's fantasy, yes there are quests and yes there will be many players... It's going to be finer details than that to see differences between game A and game B.

72. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups Jan 23, 2013, 15:33 jdreyer

Maybe not $300M directly invested into the game but this game is already moving that amount of money around. Source

Let's just hope the words "Providence" and "Investment" in the same context don't have they effect on Bethesda that they did on 38 Studios...

"phew. Was going to have nin get out of the van and go knock on the door...." - Bats

71. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups Jan 23, 2013, 14:31 ASeven

Creston wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 13:22:

That article says that an investor bought 300M worth of preferred Zenimax stock, and that Zenimax will use said money to increase its online studios and for use in future games.

In my book that doesn't really translate into 300M being assigned to TESO?

True but I think it's safe to say that their long-term plans for online games go through TESO first and foremost. Besides, if Bethesda is smart, they know they have the WoW behemoth to go against and they might decide to invest as much as possible on TESO.

70. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups Jan 23, 2013, 13:22 Creston

That article says that an investor bought 300M worth of preferred Zenimax stock, and that Zenimax will use said money to increase its online studios and for use in future games.

In my book that doesn't really translate into 300M being assigned to TESO?

Creston

69. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups Jan 23, 2013, 13:18 ASeven

Creston wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 13:00:
ASeven wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 12:30:
Truth is, this game is exactly like SWTOR at the beginning. It could either succeed spectacularly or fail spectacularly, there won't be a middle ground for this game, this one will either become a massive game and a massive success or put SWTOR to shame if it fails. And like SWTOR a lot is riding on this one, Bethesda will either become a lot more richer or suffer a financial hole they may not recover from. Already there are reports of $300M being invested in this game but Bethesda is no EA when it comes to financial power.

Whatever happens, it should be a fun ride watching the developments of this game.

I seriously doubt Bethesda is putting that much money into it. For one, they don't have to buy a hideously expensive license like EA had to do with ToR, and second they are not going the whole "let's voice everything" route.

Bethesda also seems more sane than EA is where marketing is concerned, budget wise. I have no doubt TESO is expensive, but it's not going to be anywhere near TOR expensive.

68. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups Jan 23, 2013, 13:00 Creston

ASeven wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 12:30:
Truth is, this game is exactly like SWTOR at the beginning. It could either succeed spectacularly or fail spectacularly, there won't be a middle ground for this game, this one will either become a massive game and a massive success or put SWTOR to shame if it fails. And like SWTOR a lot is riding on this one, Bethesda will either become a lot more richer or suffer a financial hole they may not recover from. Already there are reports of $300M being invested in this game but Bethesda is no EA when it comes to financial power.

Whatever happens, it should be a fun ride watching the developments of this game.

I seriously doubt Bethesda is putting that much money into it. For one, they don't have to buy a hideously expensive license like EA had to do with ToR, and second they are not going the whole "let's voice everything" route.

Bethesda also seems more sane than EA is where marketing is concerned, budget wise. I have no doubt TESO is expensive, but it's not going to be anywhere near TOR expensive.

Creston

67. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups Jan 23, 2013, 12:30 ASeven

66. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups Jan 23, 2013, 09:02 Zanderat1

Another long time TES player here. Any potential interest that I had was killed by that video. Meh. Could it get any more generic?  

65. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups Jan 23, 2013, 08:17 Fibrocyte

Slick wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 19:18:
Fibrocyte wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 14:48:
Such unfounded negativity...

I'm looking forward to this.

i know right, welcome to blues forums... *sadface*

but think of it this way, if the haters don't play the game, then that means it'll be a more hater-free experience for the rest of us

this looks great, loved morrowind, oblivion, and skyrim, but i always wanted to play with my friends, and now i can! thanks TES for giving me exactly what i want.

Cheers

64. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups Jan 23, 2013, 08:00 yuastnav

Hmm, for me that game always was about being a hero and saving the realm. Now you have a lot of those heroes running around.
The elder scrolls online kind of defeats the point of the elder scrolls. :/

63. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups Jan 23, 2013, 07:52 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 15:18:
Cool trailer. I'll see ALL of you in-game.

YUP

Not interested in PvP at ALL.
Looking forward to this big time.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

62. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups Jan 23, 2013, 04:30 Cram

A great cinematic. But like Diablo 3, ToR and many others, great cinematic's a great game does not make.

61. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups Jan 23, 2013, 03:48 Quinn

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

60. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups Jan 23, 2013, 03:40 Quinn

There is only one reason why I think this game can fail HARD...

...that reason is a tad too literal "be whoever you want to be". You can be a rogue mage, an archer tank (yes, tanking with a bow in your hands) etc. Everyone can be everything, so most will be disgusting hybrids. Healers and tanks therefore won't be special, ergo they don't get special treatment, ergo those players won't feel special, ergo one of the feelings a player has when playing WoW -- and is one of the biggest reasons that makes WoW such a success! -- is simply not there.

Maybe a tad of overanalyzing there, but I think I'm right.

An archer tank. Just.... no.

This comment was edited on Jan 23, 2013, 03:51.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

59. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups Jan 23, 2013, 00:37 Cabezone

It is clearly the standard boring slow ass combat in every other MMO. As an MMO it will be slow enough that the feeblest of MMO players can play it successfully.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

58. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 23, 2013, 00:31 HorrorScope

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENzLCh5LFqI

1. It looks like Skyrim not Wow.

2. Elder Scrolls combat, not Wow.

3. Sneaking that works like ES, does wow even have sneaking?

4. One mega server, wow has a 100 servers.

5. Any combination of cross skills, meaning fighter could be a Great Sword and Magic User, plus a few other things. Like TES series how you can be a bit o everything. Wow can't do that.

6. Action bar only active in combat, 6 slots. Seems somewhat like Neverwinter. You don't click it, you press a key to fire. Std MMO's can go both ways, because combat is usually slow enough to be able to in std mmo's.

From what I've seen it looks a lot like TES and the action plays out a lot like TES. To me that is different enough from most mmo's and perfect for TES. This is the chance to play TES with friends.

57. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 22, 2013, 23:57 NKD

Dades wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 22:41:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 22:00:
Go watch some dev movies, there are several unique features. The most unique is simply playing like TES but with others. TES doesn't play like wow.

I think he meant specifically what features. I've watched several dev videos and don't really see what sets this apart so I'd like to know what you were talking about out of curiosity too.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

I don't see it either. It seems a lot like GW2 combat-wise. That's not necessarily terrible, but it's not TES. I'm not seeing much sandbox at all.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

76 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo