Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups

The Elder Scrolls Online Website is now accepting applications to beta test Bethesda's upcoming MMO installment in their RPG series. This announcement has details along with this cinematic trailer, saying: "Please be aware that this is just beta sign-ups. Once our first beta test begins, we’ll make sure everyone knows—watch our official website, Facebook, Google+, and Twitter for an announcement about the first round of invites." Here's the official announcement:

Bethesda Softworks® and ZeniMax® Online Studios today announced that beta signups are now open for The Elder Scrolls® Online at ElderScrollsOnline.com. Interested gamers simply have to go to the website and register for a chance to play. Selected beta registrants will be granted early access to beta test the game. They will be among the first to experience this epic world with others in one of 2013’s most highly-anticipated releases. Timing and details of the start of playtests will be provided at a later date to those who register.

“We’re really excited to get the game into players’ hands,” said Matt Firor, game director of The Elder Scrolls Online. “We receive invaluable feedback through the beta process, and that helps us ensure that the game will be one of the best online gaming experiences ever offered -- one worthy of The Elder Scrolls franchise.”

The Elder Scrolls Online brings the award-winning Elder Scrolls experience online for the first time. Using ZeniMax Online’s Megaserver technology, players will join one connected world with a built in social network that lets them stay up-to-date with everything their friends are doing. Megaserver technology avoids the hassle of shard selection and makes The Elder Scrolls Online one of the most socially enabled games ever created. Whether playing alone, or with hundreds of friends, players can develop their own style of play as they embark upon an epic quest across Tamriel.

View
76 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

36. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 22, 2013, 17:49 HorrorScope

Fibrocyte wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 14:48:
Such unfounded negativity...

I'm looking forward to this.

Darn it, I was hoping I was the only one, would make beta a slam dunk for me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Meh... Jan 22, 2013, 17:23 sauron

Axis wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 16:29:
Pretty simple formula for success these days.

1. Long beta (a year or so) with sustained player-base.
2. competent developers who listen to said playerbase.

If these two happen, the game will succeed. If not, it's bound to fail.

Last MMO with that formula was, love it or hate it, WoW.

GW2 did it as well and are still doing so after release. Their devs post on the official forums frequently, answering questions and taking suggestions.

Not sure I could do that, for any MMO. Rabid fanbases for those games - people spend years (sometimes decades!) playing them.

Kittens!

34. Re: Meh... Jan 22, 2013, 16:58 Axis

Yakubs wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 16:52:
Axis wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 16:37:
Yakubs wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 16:34:

Won't happen... unless the playerbase is clamoring for simplification in the name of "broad appeal."

Competent devs means sticking to their ideas, and incorporating the good suggestions a majority agree with, filtering out the wineybase and fanboys.

PoE, best recent example. Comin out tomorrow, watch the game grow like wildfire.

Difference being GGG is small, independent, and using an original IP whereas these guys are working under the thumb of a massive corporation with legacy IP.

Yep. And it's up to the developers and publishers to realize the truth of what I said and make it happen.

Yours truly,

Axis

33. Re: Meh... Jan 22, 2013, 16:56 Axis

NKD wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 16:48:

Could almost say that about SWTOR, they had a long beta and competent devs... but they didn't listen to their playerbase. Fail, and fail again.

I'd say it was the opposite. They listened quite a lot, too much in fact, and to the wrong people. Story story story story, but no meat and potatoes.

You're partly correct.

The story aspect was Bioware from the beginning. The problem is they listened to their fanboys who felt bioware could do no wrong, a largely young audience who simply wanted an MMO in a Star Wars environment. There were posts and posts about the terribly static boring combat, mmo aspect tack on, etc, but they thought the "OMG STAR WARS" guys were gonna keep them in business.

Yours truly,

Axis

32. Re: Meh... Jan 22, 2013, 16:53 Ratty

JohnBirshire wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 14:46:
I'm one of the longest fans of the franchise, having followed Arena in developement, and considering it to be my favorite game of all time. I was actually going to kill myself when I was younger but wanted to wait for Daggerfall, so you could argue that the series saved my life.
I guess I'm the second longest fan. I started with Arena but I didn't follow it through development like you - just played it when it came out. Don't you miss passwall?

Not suicidal but I've often thought what a bummer it would be to up and die just before a new ES game came out. If I'm going to be hit by a bus or something, let it be when there aren't any good games coming out.

31. Re: Meh... Jan 22, 2013, 16:52 Yakubs

Axis wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 16:37:

Won't happen... unless the playerbase is clamoring for simplification in the name of "broad appeal."

Competent devs means sticking to their ideas, and incorporating the good suggestions a majority agree with, filtering out the wineybase and fanboys.

PoE, best recent example. Comin out tomorrow, watch the game grow like wildfire.

Difference being GGG is small, independent, and using an original IP whereas these guys are working under the thumb of a massive corporation with legacy IP.

30. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups Jan 22, 2013, 16:51 NewMaxx

Dev wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 15:11:
Filling in the "extra" part where you describe why you should get a chance is the only specific thing that raises your chances. The rest is just a total of sections filled.

Which is funny, because there's NO WAY they will be able to read through all the hundreds of thousands (millions?) of beta apps.

I take it you aren't aware of how most companies deal with applications, how "objective" essay tests are judged, etc. They throw out most of them kind of like a Coinstar machine filters out coins. They can do this with a fairly simple algorithm that takes pretty much no time to execute on pure text.

This can be as simple as a minimum word count (total), followed by a specific word count: give one point for every word on one list, two on another, etc., with the words corresponding to their target value). For each range they'll have a % of invites, say 10% for one group (no matter how many people are in it, 10% of total invites with randomly be chosen for them), but obviously the further up they get the smaller the pool and the less randomly they choose.

If they read any at all it's probably the top tiers, and then only to get an idea of how to direct future betas and who to maintain throughout the betas if there's multiple. So, you're right, they don't read them all and it doesn't have too much bearing...although it's still accurate in that it gives you a better chance.

29. Re: Meh... Jan 22, 2013, 16:48 NKD

Could almost say that about SWTOR, they had a long beta and competent devs... but they didn't listen to their playerbase. Fail, and fail again.

I'd say it was the opposite. They listened quite a lot, too much in fact, and to the wrong people. Story story story story, but no meat and potatoes.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

28. Re: Meh... Jan 22, 2013, 16:37 Axis

Yours truly,

Axis

27. Re: Meh... Jan 22, 2013, 16:34 Yakubs

26. Re: Meh... Jan 22, 2013, 16:29 Axis

Pretty simple formula for success these days.

1. Long beta (a year or so) with sustained player-base.

If these two happen, the game will succeed. If not, it's bound to fail.

Last MMO with that formula was, love it or hate it, WoW.

Yours truly,

Axis

25. Re: Meh... Jan 22, 2013, 16:26 siapnar

Generic, underwhelming trailer.

The up close fight scenes are barely viewable. Might as well have thrown up 1000 random images with intense motion blur on them in immediate succession.

As for the gameplay itself. From what I've seen the animations are atrocious and the combat bland.

JohnBirshire wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 14:46:
I'm one of the longest fans of the franchise, having followed Arena in developement, and considering it to be my favorite game of all time. I was actually going to kill myself when I was younger but wanted to wait for Daggerfall, so you could argue that the series saved my life.
Jesus, that's intense.

Here's hoping your outlook on life has changed significantly

I have projectile dysfunction.

24. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups Jan 22, 2013, 16:07 Wallshadows

Keep getting an error page / 404 address when I signup which I am sure is caused by the high traffic as my friend was able to submit his info.

I'll try again later.

23. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups Jan 22, 2013, 16:07 Beamer

Tumbler wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 15:32:
Bu...b...what about the Elders Scrolls. You're not making anymore elder scrolls games? You're making lots of money doing those games, why are you making that? Do you owe money to the mob? Why would you do something this stupid? Does EA own the Elder Scrolls IP now? Is that what happened? This is a joke right? We're close to April so this is a joke...

This is an entirely different studio.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups Jan 22, 2013, 16:04 Creston

dj LiTh wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 15:18:
To visit all of tamreil....yes please

This is really about the only thing that manages to capture my interest (that, and being able to return to Morrowind.)

Creston

21. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups Jan 22, 2013, 16:02 Creston

It seems to be getting developed really quickly. For the amount of content they say is going to be in the game, that seems a bit surprising.

Creston

20. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups Jan 22, 2013, 15:32 Tumbler

Was it really only 1 year difference between that awesome Skyrim hotel poster thing and the Elder Scrolls Online hotel poster? What a terrible feeling it was to see that there...

Bu...b...what about the Elders Scrolls. You're not making anymore elder scrolls games? You're making lots of money doing those games, why are you making that? Do you owe money to the mob? Why would you do something this stupid? Does EA own the Elder Scrolls IP now? Is that what happened? This is a joke right? We're close to April so this is a joke...

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

19. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups Jan 22, 2013, 15:24 wtf_man

ItBurn wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 14:29:
This will be just like every other mmo and will damage the franchise.

Probably... but we'll see.

18. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups Jan 22, 2013, 15:20 ItBurn

dj LiTh wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 15:18:
To visit all of tamreil....yes please

I wish we'd visit the new provinces in a real TES game first. You know, with a highly detailed and complex world like in Skyrim and the previous elder scrolls. Not a static mmo experience with crappy graphics and low details to accomodate for the bandwidth.

Also, they have to barf out the look, feel and culture found in these new provinces all at once, so they can't really put the effort needed to make them amazing.

The next games will be stuck in these shitty frames.

17. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups Jan 22, 2013, 15:18 Cutter

Cool trailer. I'll see ALL of you in-game.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

76 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo