Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wildman Status Report - GPG Retaining Some Staff?

A new update to the Kickstarter campaign for Wildman has another video from Gas Powered Games honcho Chris Taylor offering the latest on attempts to fund the action/RPG which will ostensibly save the company from the financial abyss that's already resulted in some layoffs. Chris speaks of being encouraged by the progress towards their funding goal and discusses their efforts at getting the word out with more updates later this week, including details on "Project Mercury" (not to be confused with the identical codename for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning), which he says "is the platform we hope to deliver the modules on," suggesting a further explanation would be useful. On a related note, we got a note from a reader saying a friend at Gas Powered Games was asked to stay on for another month when he went to clean out his desk yesterday. This unconfirmed report also says there are other employees who are voluntarily working on this project to see how things shake out.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Wildman Status Report - GPG Retaining Some Staff? Jan 22, 2013, 13:34 Parallax Abstraction

Darks wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 11:07:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 10:01:
I decided to take a chance and back this because I like GPG and Chris Taylor and this game sounds cool. I know it's a big risk though and I totally get why anyone would steer clear. I would like a bit more detail from Taylor on how they think the $1.1M will get them to release or more importantly, if they plan to use this to seek additional funding to get things completed.

Parallax,

These are good questions, you should post it up to their Kick Starter page, and Chris reads everything posted there. Iím sure he will address it. If not I will send it to him personally. I can assure you, he has no intentions of deceiving anyone.

They need your support and there are no as someone put it blackmailing the customers involved here to try and get support by putting on some type of sorry to make people feel Sorrow for them. If they donít get the support, the company will go under.

Chris put over 15 years of his life and eveything he has into GPG, he dosent want to see his company go under.

I very much intend to put those questions to him in his comments. Haven't had time at work today but I'd like to. He may not answer them but at least it will get him thinking about it.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Wildman Status Report - GPG Retaining Some Staff? Jan 22, 2013, 13:07 NewMaxx

The video (Update #2) was definitely sincere, the guy was holding back tears for crying out loud. Anybody who knows him knows that he's a pretty stand-up guy known in the industry for his sincerity; aka, the Mirror Universe's Molyneux.

Nevertheless, it seems like it would have been more sensible to tell everybody to take a month vacation to see how it turned out, with the option to volunteer. It seems like it ended up that way, anyway, indicating he was between a rock and a hard place and not sure where to go.

I'm confident they'll make the funding either way (most Kickstarter gaming projects of this magnitude make almost a third of their pledges in the final 72 hours), but I do tend to agree that it seems people consistently under-estimate their realistic targets. For example, you had that one guy just barely miss the target who flipped out and blamed the gamers, and Molyneux's "disappointment."

11. Re: Wildman Status Report - GPG Retaining Some Staff? Jan 22, 2013, 11:48 Xil

Spektr wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 10:22:
Am I the only one for whom the whole thing awfully sounds like emotional blackmail? Send us money or we're gonna die...

I do think the video he made was sincere, but still..... dunno, its a bit iffy to say the least

10. Re: Wildman Status Report - GPG Retaining Some Staff? Jan 22, 2013, 11:29 Creston

Quboid wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 09:52:
I wouldn't back this because of the uncertainty. KS negates this somewhat, as I'm not out a penny if they don't meet their target, but I'm worried about them just reaching their target and finding they don't quite have the money or the personnel to do their vision justice.

I wonder if their goal is the amount of money they expect to need to finish the game, or if it's just the amount of money they figure will keep them afloat for a year, whether they finish it or not.

But yeah, I'm not backing a studio that's already in the process of going kaput.

Creston

9. Re: Wildman Status Report - GPG Retaining Some Staff? Jan 22, 2013, 11:28 Creston

Bill Borre wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 11:10:
I think we need a Kickstarter general for the economy. Instead of being asked for money every single time I leave the apartment, people can give money to Kickstarter to employ people who have crappy jobs or no jobs.

The latter already exists. It's called Social Security, (or whatever equivalent in whatever country around the world,) and it's a mandatory Kickstarter.

As for this Kickstarter, I feel bad for all these guys that lost their jobs, but the concept of this game just looks terrible to me...

Creston

8. Re: Wildman Status Report - GPG Retaining Some Staff? Jan 22, 2013, 11:10 Bill Borre

I think we need a Kickstarter general for the economy. Instead of being asked for money every single time I leave the apartment, people can give money to Kickstarter to employ people who have crappy jobs or no jobs.  

7. Re: Wildman Status Report - GPG Retaining Some Staff? Jan 22, 2013, 11:07 Darks

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 10:01:
I decided to take a chance and back this because I like GPG and Chris Taylor and this game sounds cool. I know it's a big risk though and I totally get why anyone would steer clear. I would like a bit more detail from Taylor on how they think the $1.1M will get them to release or more importantly, if they plan to use this to seek additional funding to get things completed.

Parallax,

These are good questions, you should post it up to their Kick Starter page, and Chris reads everything posted there. Iím sure he will address it. If not I will send it to him personally. I can assure you, he has no intentions of deceiving anyone.

They need your support and there are no as someone put it blackmailing the customers involved here to try and get support by putting on some type of sorry to make people feel Sorrow for them. If they donít get the support, the company will go under.

Chris put over 15 years of his life and eveything he has into GPG, he dosent want to see his company go under.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

6. Re: Wildman Status Report - GPG Retaining Some Staff? Jan 22, 2013, 10:37 netnerd85

Spektr wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 10:22:
Many other studios have been bought by big companies..( ID for instance) that's another viable solution.
Who wouldn't buy id software?

GPG is no where near the same league.

5. Re: Wildman Status Report - GPG Retaining Some Staff? Jan 22, 2013, 10:33 Stimpack

I'm a rather cynical individual, but I felt that the video put out was genuine. I hope he makes his money and everything works out, but I agree that it certainly isn't the end of the world for them if it doesn't.  

4. Re: Wildman Status Report - GPG Retaining Some Staff? Jan 22, 2013, 10:22 Spektr

Am I the only one for whom the whole thing awfully sounds like emotional blackmail? Send us money or we're gonna die... Many other studios have been bought by big companies..( ID for instance) that's another viable solution.  

3. Re: Wildman Status Report - GPG Retaining Some Staff? Jan 22, 2013, 10:01 Parallax Abstraction

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

2. Re: Wildman Status Report - GPG Retaining Some Staff? Jan 22, 2013, 09:52 Quboid

nin wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 09:21:
I wouldn't be surprised if the make their funding (based on progress so far), but I still worry about the long term, and if they can deliver w/o going under...

They'll need a late rally but it's achievable. I assume Kickstarters get the majority of their money in the first and last couple of days.

I wouldn't back this because of the uncertainty. KS negates this somewhat, as I'm not out a penny if they don't meet their target, but I'm worried about them just reaching their target and finding they don't quite have the money or the personnel to do their vision justice.

At some point soon, a Kickstarter project will get funded but then fail to deliver and there will be an almighty ruck from people who didn't understand what they were getting in to. This could easily be that project.

Edit: I've been trying to remember that Bowie song in your sig for a week now. Thanks!

- Quboid

1. Re: Wildman Status Report - GPG Retaining Some Staff? Jan 22, 2013, 09:21 nin

I wouldn't be surprised if the make their funding (based on progress so far), but I still worry about the long term, and if they can deliver w/o going under...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo