Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes.

A new video interview on games.on.net talks with producer Shereif Fattouh about Dead Space 3, Visceral Games' upcoming survival shooter sequel. The focus of their conversation is the addition of co-op mode to the sequel, which they describe as being like watching a scary movie with a friend. They also highlight the response they got when asking if the Windows edition of the game will have any features that take advantage of a PC's more powerful hardware. They were told this will be a straight port with no support for DirectX 11, no higher resolution textures, and no support for graphics features not found on the console editions. In other Dead Space 3 news, OXM has word from developer Visceral that the game will include microtransactions, though they stress that letting the game chip away at your wallet is optional. Here's a bit:

"You can absolutely choose to ignore the in game micro-transactions," associate producer Yara Khoury told OXM in an interview, following a two-hour hands-on. "I think it's made for people who aren't necessarily as savvy as others with exploration, or maybe they just don't want to spend the time to go and find resources, and they want to maybe upgrade faster."

You'll only be able to buy certain weapons at certain times, however. "Know that we are creating progression in terms of weapon crafting by only making available some weapon parts as you progress through the game. So it's not like 'oh I'm going to spend money now and I can be the most powerful player in Chapter 1.' "And another thing that is important to know is that you can buy things in the marketplace with in-game currency," Khoury continued. "Things that your scavenger bot gets you. So you don't have to spend dollars if you're a hardcore player and put a lot of hours in - you're going to be rewarded for that."

View
64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

24. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 11:42 Verno

netnerd85 wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 11:34:
Verno wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 11:32:
netnerd85 wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 11:29:
If you want it, you will buy it, at the right price.

I'm sure that sounded deep in your head but in reality my desire to own the product in question depends on more than the actual price.
No. I'm correct. If you want it, you will buy it. Otherwise, stay with me fella, you don't want it. Then you... what? you won't buy it. There you go. You understandy nowy?

Nah you're just trolling and generalizing about something no one cares about anyway. My desire to own the game depends on more than its price at the time of release. People buy games for a lot of different reasons and more important don't buy games for as many. I've wanted games and not purchased them because I was playing other ones, didn't care about specific features or wanted to see reviews for example.

That's enough from you though toodaloo.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 11:38 Creston

netnerd85 wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 11:17:
When the tears dry, you will all go running in and buy the game. If not, you were never going to buy it anyway.

I love how there are always trolls who seem to know better what others will do than those people themselves.

Here's a hint: There are people who can be interested in something, but are then disappointed (or annoyed, or angry, or furious, or disillusioned, or whatever) about certain things having to do with that product. And said disappointment is big enough to make them not buy it.

There are also people who feel that buying such a product is sending a message to the publisher that says: "Hey, treat me like shit. It's okay! I'll just bend over and take it!" and don't really want to send a message like that.

And I know it's hard for you to understand, since you obviously don't have this level of self-control, but those people can easily forego a particular game because of said reasons. There genuinely are people who refuse to be treated like shit by game publishers.

You might try it someday. It's quite refreshing.

Creston

22. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 11:34 netnerd85

Verno wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 11:32:

I'm sure that sounded deep in your head but in reality my desire to own the product in question depends on more than the actual price.
No. I'm correct. If you want it, you will buy it. Otherwise, stay with me fella, you don't want it. Then you... what? you won't buy it. There you go. You understandy nowy?

21. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 11:32 Verno

I'm sure that sounded deep in your head but in reality my desire to own the product in question depends on more than the actual price. There is certainly a "stupidly low" threshold where people stop caring about standards but it's not $60. Generally $5 or less in my experience for old games, $25ish or less for new ones.

20. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 11:29 netnerd85

Verno wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 11:20:
I always find this funny, the whole "I'm not buying this game, you upset me because of XYZ"

When the tears dry, you will all go running in and buy the game. If not, you were never going to buy it anyway.

"youll all get it neway!!!" is right up there with "Haha gotcha guys it was all a study for school" in internet forum trolling.

I like Dead Space and certainly want to buy it but enough unfavorable things can definitely dissuade me from buying a copy. There are way too many games on the market these days and not enough time in the day. Besides I like Dead Space but it's not exactly pushing Call of Duty sales levels here, the assumption itself is flawed.

19. Watching horror movie with friends Jan 22, 2013, 11:28 eRe4s3r

Makes it a comedy with cheap scares.

Which is exactly what Deadspace 3 COOP , based on the COOP footage on youtube, is. Mission a success, I would say, for destroying the last bit of immersion. ^^

18. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 11:20 Verno

I always find this funny, the whole "I'm not buying this game, you upset me because of XYZ"

"youll all get it neway!!!" is right up there with "Haha gotcha guys it was all a study for school" in internet forum trolling.

I like Dead Space and certainly want to buy it but enough unfavorable things can definitely dissuade me from buying a copy. There are way too many games on the market these days and not enough time in the day. Besides I like Dead Space but it's not exactly pushing Call of Duty sales levels here, the assumption itself is flawed.

17. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 11:17 netnerd85

16. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 11:11 ItBurn

I don't know if you guys remember this golden quote from marketing boss Laura Miele:

"Personally, I would rather go to a scary movie with my husband rather than sit at home with the lights out watching one on my own. We're looking for that to reach out to consumers that perhaps were not open to Dead Space 1 and 2."

That's when I knew that the franchise was dead and the name was being reused to improve sales of this generic for-the-masses product.

15. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 11:10 Creston

EA's message to PC Gamers: Fuck you.

So our message to EA really should be: Fuck you too.
Which we do by not buying it.

Seems simple enough, really.

Creston

14. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 11:02 Wookiestick

Thanks for throwing Dead Space PC fans a bone. A heavily gnawed, chewed on bone with bite marks that spell out console port.
Seriously, give us something... uncompressed textures, some dx 10+ eye candy...

Love thy wookie.

13. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 11:01 InBlack

Beamer wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 10:56:
I highly doubt the community will reward this.

"Mindless sheep" is a term I always find funny, as usually it shows a complete lack of self awareness, but even if you subscribe to the school of thought that everyone not on this messageboard that plays games is somehow more mindless than you, even they'll find this kind of thing creepy and boring.

And where did I say that everyone NOT on this board should be placed in that category? Where did I even mention games? Not everyone is as privileged as you Beamer or has been to have your education, upgringing, social status IE everything that has made you the person you are today. Many, many people go through life ignorant of their own potential or just dont care enough about those kinds of things. They worry about things like how their neighbours wife is damn hot. They dig the beats of Rhiana's songs at the same hate blacks. They go to church believing the Earth is 10000 years old and they genuinely, GENUINELY fear the wrath of God!

This population outnumbers people like you and me at least 10 to 1. But believing that the masses know best, is ignorance too in its own way...

I have a nifty blue line!

12. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 11:01 nin

Also, I don't know about them circling the drain there buddy. I'm pretty sure Dead Space 3 is going to sell some sizable amounts yet again. This is just a reality of life here, guys. Money rules all. It's pathetic, but there you have it.

Money indeed.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 10:56 Beamer

I highly doubt the community will reward this.

"Mindless sheep" is a term I always find funny, as usually it shows a complete lack of self awareness, but even if you subscribe to the school of thought that everyone not on this messageboard that plays games is somehow more mindless than you, even they'll find this kind of thing creepy and boring.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 10:53 InBlack

Well this is what the mindless sheep want, so this is what they will get....Its just like TV shopping. You think its for retards, but it fucking WORKS because guess what, most of the human race is retarded beyong bellief, just because you dont know any of them (or maybe just one or two) doesnt mean they dont exist.

A lot has also been said about the decline of Blizzard but is anyone really surprised? I mean seriously? They are following the quick buck, because having any kind of long term vision is uncompatible with current megalomaniac management practices. Its the same in virtually any corporation in the world regardless of what they do to make profit. I cant name a single corporate owned company these days that is built around releasing a quality product first and foremost. Can any of you?

I have a nifty blue line!

9. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 10:52 MoreLuckThanSkill

Oh god dammit. Well, not really surprising I guess, but depressing. I really enjoyed the first two Dead Space games, port issues aside. I had been looking forward to Dead Space 3 until this microtransaction nonsense.

Way to ruin a franchise, Visceral/EA.

8. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 10:43 Stimpack

Is this coming as a surprise to anyone?

Also, I don't know about them circling the drain there buddy. I'm pretty sure Dead Space 3 is going to sell some sizable amounts yet again. This is just a reality of life here, guys. Money rules all. It's pathetic, but there you have it.

7. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 10:34 Arithon

So to summarise, "stuck in 2008 visuals", poor configuration & set up options and "pay to win" micro-transactions.
Wow! What's not to like?

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

6. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 09:51 Omni

Dead Space died along with dead space 2 and from the looks of it dead space 3 is even worse than dead space 2.

also dead space dead space dead space dead space.

5. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 09:45 avianflu

the 2nd one was pretty tired so easy to pass on the 3rd one.  

64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo