Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes.

A new video interview on games.on.net talks with producer Shereif Fattouh about Dead Space 3, Visceral Games' upcoming survival shooter sequel. The focus of their conversation is the addition of co-op mode to the sequel, which they describe as being like watching a scary movie with a friend. They also highlight the response they got when asking if the Windows edition of the game will have any features that take advantage of a PC's more powerful hardware. They were told this will be a straight port with no support for DirectX 11, no higher resolution textures, and no support for graphics features not found on the console editions. In other Dead Space 3 news, OXM has word from developer Visceral that the game will include microtransactions, though they stress that letting the game chip away at your wallet is optional. Here's a bit:

"You can absolutely choose to ignore the in game micro-transactions," associate producer Yara Khoury told OXM in an interview, following a two-hour hands-on. "I think it's made for people who aren't necessarily as savvy as others with exploration, or maybe they just don't want to spend the time to go and find resources, and they want to maybe upgrade faster."

You'll only be able to buy certain weapons at certain times, however. "Know that we are creating progression in terms of weapon crafting by only making available some weapon parts as you progress through the game. So it's not like 'oh I'm going to spend money now and I can be the most powerful player in Chapter 1.' "And another thing that is important to know is that you can buy things in the marketplace with in-game currency," Khoury continued. "Things that your scavenger bot gets you. So you don't have to spend dollars if you're a hardcore player and put a lot of hours in - you're going to be rewarded for that."

View
64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

44. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 15:20 DangerDog

I'll wait till this is on some deep discount sale event for $10.

no rush

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 14:52 Fibrocyte

Blue really knows how to fire up his community.  

42. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 14:50 Sempai

Gdamnit!

I cannot wait for these cocksuckers to become irrelevant!
EA, the plague of anything that has potential to be creative or give value to the end user.

FUCK YOU Electronic Arts. I will say again, FUCK YOU!

41. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 14:50 Bopper

As long as money earned from micropayments > money lost from potential customers lost due to this it makes sense for them to do this fiscally.

On the other hand...f**k you!

- Boppa

Playing: Torchlight 2, Civ V, Pikmin 3

Waiting for: Beyond:Two Souls, Watchdogs, EQNext, a GOOD Alien(s) game/movie

40. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 14:48 ASeven

DS2 didn't sell that well to begin with. Another IP killed by EA.  

39. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 14:10 Tim Collins

Micro transactions are a plague, f any game that supports them.  

38. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 14:02 Gipson

I really hope this game fails now  

37. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 13:50 jdreyer

I hate microtransactions in general (just give me a complete game, dammit), but it seems especially jarring in a game like DS. So, you're alone on a frozen planet, dodging necromorphs and giant bugs, and when you have trouble finding the tools you need, you... go shopping? Is it me, or does this totally break the immersion of being in a survival game investigating a catastrophe billions of miles from home?

I like the idea of having a coop option. More coop is always a good thing, as long as the single player remains in tact and unaffected.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

36. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 13:47 MoreLuckThanSkill

avianflu wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 12:39:
They had a shopping mall level in the 2nd one. On a spaceship. A shopping mall level.

To be fair, the shopping mall was on the space station, not the ship. It was supposed to be substantially larger than the ships, and have some civilian types and their families.

But yes, Dead Space 2 is basically Dead Space 1.5. I still thought it was pretty good though.

35. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 13:19 TurdFergasun

netnerd85 wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 11:17:
I always find this funny, the whole "I'm not buying this game, you upset me because of XYZ"

When the tears dry, you will all go running in and buy the game. If not, you were never going to buy it anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised to find this statement on a 24k gold plaque adorning the boardroom of EA's head office. Seems to be an ethos thats driving excellent game development and driving stock prices to new unprecedented levels.

34. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 13:01 Tumbler

This is a game I would not have bought anyway, but there are actually a number of games that I actually would really like to have played that I passed on for various reasons (usually DRM).

I haven't been paying much attention to this game but if they build in some sort of horde mode that lets you build up a characters weapons as you play then I'd be willing to jump in. Something that has always bugged me about this game is that once you start upgrading weapons I feel compelled to stick with those weapons. I'd like someway to experiment with the weapons in a firing range where you get limited ammo, and one upgrade for each round. Each round you get some ammo and another upgrade node. This way I could play with each of the weapons without spoiling the story. I hate the fact that you can't learn more about the weapons outside of experiencing the story. I don't think the MP did this in DS 2 but it's possible i missed it. I found DS 2's MP mode to be very boring.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

33. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 12:51 Fletch

Stimpack wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 10:43:
Money rules all. It's pathetic, but there you have it.

That's why I'm not giving them any of mine. Actually, the consoley first Dead Space did it for me. Console games and PC games are two different animals, afaic. If they can't be bothered to develop a PC interface and control scheme (I care much less about graphics options, although I abhor the over-the-shoulder perspective), then I won't be bothered to give their game a first look.

32. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 12:47 mag

netnerd85 wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 11:17:
I always find this funny, the whole "I'm not buying this game, you upset me because of XYZ"

When the tears dry, you will all go running in and buy the game. If not, you were never going to buy it anyway.

This is a game I would not have bought anyway, but there are actually a number of games that I actually would really like to have played that I passed on for various reasons (usually DRM).

31. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 12:39 avianflu

They had a shopping mall level in the 2nd one. On a spaceship. A shopping mall level.

The devs lacked imagination and it showed in the storyline generally.

At least there wasnt a warehouse level with crates.

30. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 12:37 Tumbler

Ahh and this game sounded like it was going to be so good! (sarcasm)  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

29. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 12:33 Jerykk

This news is unsurprising. The first two games had barebones ports as well, but they still looked and ran better than the console versions. I didn't really expect any different for the third one. I definitely won't be picking it up for $60, but that has more to do with apathy towards the game rather than lack of PC-centric graphical options.  

28. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 11:56 Beamer

InBlack wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 11:01:
Beamer wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 10:56:
I highly doubt the community will reward this.

"Mindless sheep" is a term I always find funny, as usually it shows a complete lack of self awareness, but even if you subscribe to the school of thought that everyone not on this messageboard that plays games is somehow more mindless than you, even they'll find this kind of thing creepy and boring.

And where did I say that everyone NOT on this board should be placed in that category? Where did I even mention games? Not everyone is as privileged as you Beamer or has been to have your education, upgringing, social status IE everything that has made you the person you are today. Many, many people go through life ignorant of their own potential or just dont care enough about those kinds of things. They worry about things like how their neighbours wife is damn hot. They dig the beats of Rhiana's songs at the same hate blacks. They go to church believing the Earth is 10000 years old and they genuinely, GENUINELY fear the wrath of God!

This population outnumbers people like you and me at least 10 to 1. But believing that the masses know best, is ignorance too in its own way...

Uh... everyone falls into "mindless sheep" in some category. But it's repeatedly used here as a synonym for "console fan," in a derogatory way by people that feel they're better than any other gamer.

We all do dumb things. We all are mindless in some ways. But when you say "all other gamers are mindless sheep" it makes you sound... like a mindless sheep. Rest assured that if you're a Dead Space fan and this sounds terrible to you then it likely sounds terrible to all the other Dead Space fans.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

27. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 11:45 netnerd85

Internet lesson 1: Call someone a troll to make yourself correct.

lol, if only I cared.

26. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 11:44 dheer

Creston wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 11:10:
EA's message to PC Gamers: Fuck you.

So our message to EA really should be: Fuck you too.
Which we do by not buying it.

Seems simple enough, really.

Creston
Yep. I was as interested in the game at one point but now they can cram it. I'd rather not play it.

After reading how EA tried to trick people into buying the second Alice game, (which I still enjoyed) the bullshit they try to pull should be a surprise to no one.

I wonder if he reads them, or if it's just for show.

25. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 11:42 nin

I love how there are always trolls

And stupid ones at that.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo