Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Miner Wars 2081 Adds Offline Mode

Steam News has details on a new patch that's now automatically available for Miner Wars 2081, Keen Software House's 6DOF shooter. In addition to bug fixes and optimizations, the update adds two free add-ons as well as the ability to play the game's single-player campaign without being logged in or even connected to the Internet. There's an accompanying update on the Miner Wars Website that discusses the patch, while also addressing two issues: reports of bad framerates, which is apparently happening on some systems with onboard video as well as a separate video card (they are working on a fix), and accusations of censorship, which they say are a misunderstanding based on a single deleted comment. Here's what the new patch includes:

• Offline single-player for Steam version of Miner Wars 2081 – in other words, now you don’t have to be connected to internet and logged into our servers to play the campaign.
  • Optimizations and bug fixes, more info: http://www.minerwars.com/CurrentBuildFeatures.aspx
  • Two new add-ons available for free as part of Miner Wars 2081 installation:
    • Cheats – infinite ammo, immortality, skip to any mission, and more (Ctrl+F1 in game)
    • 2.5D Experiment - multiplayer 2.5D add-on for MW 2081 - available as a set of 2.5D death-match maps (all 2.5D sectors have 2.5D as a prefix)

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Miner Wars 2081 Adds Offline Mode Jan 22, 2013, 20:51 Suppa7

Them getting greedy and fearful and adding DRM = no sales.

I guess after the sales diving off a cliff after a month or so they see their treatment of gamers as thieves as something they regret.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Miner Wars 2081 Adds Offline Mode Jan 22, 2013, 03:58 Paketep

A bit too late. They already burned their reputation.  

6. Re: Miner Wars 2081 Adds Offline Mode Jan 21, 2013, 21:35 Aero

nin wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 20:49:
and weird stuff it put in my Windows startup list without asking.

What was it? I've not installed it yet. Was it via the steam version, or a download directly from them?

Oh, nothing really especially shady, and certainly not nefarious. It was probably the result of a bug with the installation process (version downloaded from their site) but, my startup list has an entry called:

{a8959312-9179-420b-a900-1fd74ad5f68d}

from "Unknown" manufacturer, pointing to my 'Downloads' folder, to execute: "MinerWars_TEST_01_088_000_Setup.exe /cmdloc "HKCU\Software\Keen Software House AiTemp\{a8959312-9179-420b-a900-1fd74ad5f68d}""

Which I had deleted after running the setup program. Definitely didn't make me happy when I first saw it though, making me satisfy myself it wasn't itself, or the result of, something nasty. I imagine it has something to do with their do-it-yourself, not-DRM, DRM.

edit: Oh, and obviously, to be fair, that was from the beta installation (though only about a week or so before the final was released).

5. Re: Miner Wars 2081 Adds Offline Mode Jan 21, 2013, 21:06 saluk

Yeah big fail. They had a very cool initial tech demo, but no plan or design for where to take it. This campaign was a misstep but I don't think they had any better ideas. I hope other recent cool tech demo space sims fare better  

4. Re: Miner Wars 2081 Adds Offline Mode Jan 21, 2013, 20:49 nin

and weird stuff it put in my Windows startup list without asking.

What was it? I've not installed it yet. Was it via the steam version, or a download directly from them?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

3. Re: Miner Wars 2081 Adds Offline Mode Jan 21, 2013, 20:46 Aero

I just couldn't get into this one. I wanted to like it, but it just wasn't much fun. It's like a tech demo (and a not really all that impressive one) half-heartedly converted into a game. Also it seemed kind of shady due to the annoying DRM and weird stuff it put in my Windows startup list without asking.  

2. Re: Miner Wars 2081 Adds Offline Mode Jan 21, 2013, 19:58 The Half Elf

Ditto, played the 1st mission. Nice looking game just got lost.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

1. Re: Miner Wars 2081 Adds Offline Mode Jan 21, 2013, 19:49 nin

Grabbed this last fall for like $3 or $4 from GMG...still need to install it.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo