Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2013, 20:25 noman

Dades wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 16:57:
No tiles suck for the desktop, leave that trash for your phone or tablet where it makes sense. I like having multiple apps on the screen and the ability to freely resize them to make use of my widescreen display. Metro fucking blows, the only decent part of Windows 8 are the parts that are Windows 7.

First of all, you need to calm down. Second, 'tiles on start screen' and 'not having multiple apps on screen' are two different things. You originally commented on how much you hate the tiles. I find the tiles and start-screen a good addition to the GUI. This change is an order of magnitude better than the useless start menu. There is still room for tons of improvement which I mentioned in my previous post.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2013, 16:57 Dades

No tiles suck for the desktop, leave that trash for your phone or tablet where it makes sense. I like having multiple apps on the screen and the ability to freely resize them to make use of my widescreen display. Metro fucking blows, the only decent part of Windows 8 are the parts that are Windows 7.

The color theme is trash too, transparency was legitimately useful and their faded in color for backgrounds too often makes things seem to overlap on the desktop.

Watching people struggle to use Metro would be funny if Microsoft weren't pitching 20 years of knowledge away so that they can act like they're apple. How about some window controls like every other operating system that is used for the desktop?

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

29. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2013, 15:55 noman

Dades wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 07:12:
The new tile system is a complete clusterfuck and totally unintuitive. The new price of Windows 8 starts at $120+, enjoy.

I am certainly enjoying the fact that I got two pro-edition copies for $30 each through Amazon, let alone the $40 discounted price.

And the tile system is actually the best part of the metro interface. There are lots of room for improvement in the overall WinRT API (metro) based applications (the GUI and multi-app views especially) but the start screen is done quite well to begin with.

28. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2013, 15:40 noman

I like Windows8 desktop theme a lot more than Windows7's Aero. The sharp corners, color difference between foreground and background apps, overall v-sync usage (in desktop mode) are all much appreciated.

The WDDM1.2 driver model does have its benefits.

I also like the auto-color option, where the GUI elements automatically change color to better match the current desktop background. I know, there must be tons of third-party applications to do these types of things, but it's good to have this feature in the OS itself.

The ribbon in file-explorer is a great addition. It stays minimized, but once expanded gives a lot of menu choices which I have now begun to use - choices which were earlier buried under two or three nested menus and required navigating through succession of context menus, tab selections, and buttons. I have absolutely no idea why anyone wouldn't like this feature, since it minimizes to be completely out of your sight and the non-ribbon-bar navigation is still there.

27. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2013, 13:41 NegaDeath

Quboid wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 12:33:
Aside from Metro, is Windows 7 better than Windows 8 in any way?

This is more of a personal preference but the Windows 8 Aero theme is ugly. It makes the desktop look cheap, like a Windows 95 clone or something. Aero Glass in Vista/7 is much nicer with its drop shadows, smoothed edges and transparencies. Default file associations for 8 make things open in Metro regardless if your in Metro or Desktop mode. They changed the classic file menu in file explorer to an Office style Ribbon which annoys people.

Aside from the missing start menu that I do occasionally still use that was all I can recall from the short time I had 8 installed (a few weeks). As much hate as 8 gets (and deserves) most of it is fixable with 3rd party programs. Can't fix it being beaten with the ugly stick yet though.

26. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2013, 12:33 Quboid

NKD wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 01:16:
I haven't had any problems with Windows 8. To be honest I use it a lot like I used Windows 7. I pretty much never see the much maligned tile interface. And then I benefit from the myriad little improvements and tweaks they've made to other parts of the OS like they always do.

I feel more like I'm using a beefy service pack to Win7.

This is what I mean, MS have completely failed to sell these improvements and tweaks. I haven't gone looking because TBH, I don't care that much unless I'm intending to reinstall my OS, but I should still have picked up on details if Metro's stench wasn't drowning them out. New task manager, which is apparently quite good. Some file system tweaks I think?

Aside from Metro, is Windows 7 better than Windows 8 in any way?

I don't use the All Programs section of the start menu any more. If what I want to launch isn't in my recent programs list or on my desktop (which I keep pretty uncluttered), I press start and type the first few letters to search for it.

- Quboid

25. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2013, 10:45 Ant

El Pit wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 08:08:
If you are still running XP or Vista, then Win8 is better. It's only one click to get to the usual desktop.

But if you're running Win7 STAY AWAY FROM WIN8!!!! It's a bad deal for you!
Windows XP Pro. SP3 work fine for me on what I do these days.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

24. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2013, 10:13 Verno

Well said, couldn't agree more. It's a really rushed to market product to attempt to stay relevant. No real innovation or genuine value for the user in it either.  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

23. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2013, 09:07 wtf_man

Brin wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 00:04:
Well, it's all a bit subjective isn't it? Some people claim that command line tools are more practical and versatile than some graphical UI and that is because they know how to use it.

Well, the command line is STILL superior when dealing with multiple machines (Powershell, which is relatively new compared to the command Prompt). Are you going to click through a Gui 100 times in a row or write a one-liner that does it the same thing in seconds?

The right tool for the right job.

Metro is NOT the right tool for a desktop PC. I suppose it works fine for phones and tablets.

Launching Powershell is so optional that most users never see it. It is not in your face and rammed down your throat.

Metro should be the same way, and should have the option to completely be turned off like Vista's "Sidebar and Gadgets".

The only reason Microsoft is ramming this down people's throat is for their online store... it has NOTHING to do with improving things for the desktop user. It is backfiring. People are either avoiding 8 or using hacks to get their desktop back (and not have to navigate through Metro), while MS has stuck their fingers in their ears since the consumer build and gone "LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU, LA LA LA".

They are fighting becoming irrelevant as a tech company, in the mobile consumer age... its too late... and pissing off their current platform users, really ain't the way they should go about it.

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 2013, 09:39.

22. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2013, 09:00 Verno

NKD wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 01:16:
I haven't had any problems with Windows 8. To be honest I use it a lot like I used Windows 7. I pretty much never see the much maligned tile interface. And then I benefit from the myriad little improvements and tweaks they've made to other parts of the OS like they always do.

I feel like I just benefit from a new task manager more than anything else. Whatever other improvements they claim to have made under the hood are imperceptible in daily use and even synthetic benchmarks.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

21. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2013, 08:12 gray

Not surprised in the slightest;

http://reut.rs/13Yy8OP

20. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2013, 08:08 El Pit

If you are still running XP or Vista, then Win8 is better. It's only one click to get to the usual desktop.

But if you're running Win7 STAY AWAY FROM WIN8!!!! It's a bad deal for you!

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

19. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2013, 07:12 Dades

DDI wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 23:00:

I've actually no idea how good Windows 8 is, since the tile system is so unpopular no one even gets as far as talking about anything else. That's a pretty big fail right there.

Or people are too busy using it to comment but I'll take a moment. The new tile system is far faster to find, launch and organize applications than the old Start Menu.

The new tile system is a complete clusterfuck and totally unintuitive. The new price of Windows 8 starts at $120+, enjoy.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

18. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2013, 07:04 Muscular Beaver

Brin wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 00:04:
Even someone does like it, I'd challenge the practicality and ease of use in comparison to a long-used and familiar tool that already existed.

Well, it's all a bit subjective isn't it? Some people claim that command line tools are more practical and versatile than some graphical UI and that is because they know how to use it.

For example, I was excited when Microsoft announced a change in the UI. I am still extremely pleased with it! The result of this, I can't help but think, is that I was rather open to learning to use it and so I agree with the poster that you quoted: I find it to be a significantly faster OS to use than windows 7 (in the sense that I can access 'notes.txt' within my My Documents folder faster; I can't comment on milliseconds saved when opening said file), and I really liked W7. Is it perfect? Nope, and I wouldn't even claim W7 was perfect. Is it an improvement in my life over Windows 7? Yes.

But, I am reasonably suspicious of your disdain for W8 since, not only do you argue that YOU dislike it (the only reasonable stance) but you go further to try to 'objectively' prove that it is a worse OS. Even more distasteful is that you try to use YouTube videos to prove your point. There are YouTube videos suggesting that the end of the world is nigh, that people faked the moon launch, that the Illuminati rule the world, etc. YouTube is not an authoritative source

Anyways, if you could show me how many users of Windows 8 use programs like Start8 or Pokki, I'd be interested. For example, is it 80% of Win8 users using these startmenu replacements? Is it 50%? 10%? You don't know either.

Ultimately, in a world where I gave more shits, I'd ask why you are so angry over Windows 8. Perhaps you fear change on some deep level. I can't help but think: Get the fuck over it.

In a world where you would actually read criticism, you would know why many people hate this try of an OS.
A few little hints: The power of Microsofts monopoly, free software.

Oh and btw, I really wanted to like Windows 8, because I use a touchscreen in my car connected to a PC. But thanks to another of Microsofts smart decisions, I cant use it there because it requires a minimum resolution of 1024x768. One of the biggest markets of PC touchscreens and they didnt think of that.
Anyway, thats just one of my personal reasons. There are many more, and reading a little, would make you realize that too.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

17. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2013, 06:56 Muscular Beaver

Alamar wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 23:25:
Prez wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 23:07:

I've actually no idea how good Windows 8 is, since the tile system is so unpopular no one even gets as far as talking about anything else. That's a pretty big fail right there.

Or people are too busy using it to comment but I'll take a moment. The new tile system is far faster to find, launch and organize applications than the old Start Menu.

Everyone just used shortcuts on the desktop though didn't they? I know I did, and still do.

Now that I launch 95% of my games through Steam, it's more moot, but I put shortcuts to everything else I want, on my Desktop, then make my bar double height, and put the desktop on the bottom half... Even with 4k resolution, having to find shit on the desktop (under a pile of windows) would be a pain... And in the end, it's not all that different from using the quick launch bar, but I like it this way : )

-Alamar

Thats why you can easily change the size of the icons (ctrl + mousewheel)... Text size is also easily adjustable... Oh, and on the far right of your double height taskbar is a nice button to hide all the windows.

Guess some people need a new OS for that. lol

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

16. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2013, 05:56 InBlack

I dont know where else to put it so Ill just put it right here:

About three days ago, for no apparent reason my graphics card (ATI HD 6870) started producing way more noise than usualy. Its not that loud just damn annoying.

So I took it out, cleaned it out carefully, vacuumed all the dust out of the vent and exhausts (there was a shitload of it) and the end result...

Nothing, its still making the noise and is as annoying as fuck. I havent noticed any slowdown in games or high temps so its more anoying than anything else.

My question is this how the hell do I get to the vent in the cooler/heatsing assembly. Ive checked and its the stock cooler that usually goes on reference cards (the card is XFX) Ive seen youtube videos that demonstrate how to remove the whole thing from the card, but there is no way to physically get to the bearings.

Should I just get an aftermarket cooler or should I take the card back (the warranty is stil valid) or should I remove the cooler and try to get at the dirt/dust/doghair? myself???

I have a nifty blue line!

15. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2013, 04:49 Lord Tea

I played with the RC for a while and must say the article is absolutely right. Navigation wise it's a complete nightmare, totally un-intuitive and illogical. Went back to Win7 after a month or so with no regrets.

UPSA = United Police States of America

14. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2013, 03:39 InBlack

Main reason why Win8 fails is the Enterprise market. It simply doesnt offer anything new compared to Windows7. Its marginally faster and has an optional Tile interface which is by all accounts gimmicky and completely wasted on anything other than a tablet. So yeah, we get more bloat. Remember Vista anyone? Bloat sure is cool...  

I have a nifty blue line!

13. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2013, 02:43 noman

SirKnight wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 00:11:
Sure if you have a handful of programs. But I'm sure many of us would have page after page of bajillions of tiles to wade through.

Do you have billions of shortcuts on your desktop, or the taskbar? Start-screen is not the old expanded start-menu. Think of it as a two dimensional start menu with five or six times more 'commonly used applications' at one click distance compared to the old start-menu (which had only 9-10 regardless of the resolution). So you get to see more of the often-used applications and you unpin the rest to the "All apps" section, which navigates far better (with mouse and keyboard) than the nested tiny scrolling lists of the start-menu for programs not at one click distance.

If I want to launch something not already pinned to task-bar, then the start-screen is far far better than the old start menu.

12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2013, 01:16 NKD

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo