Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

11. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2013, 00:11 SirKnight

DDI wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 23:00:
The new tile system is far faster to find, launch and organize applications than the old Start Menu.

Sure if you have a handful of programs. But I'm sure many of us would have page after page of bajillions of tiles to wade through.

At least with iOS and OSX's Launch Pad you can create folders to have some sort of organization which helps a lot. Without that it's pure madness. But also with OSX, you can still access the applications the old way without having to switch modes (tile interface to classic desktop in win8).

Some people can hate on Apple all they want, but at least Apple knows how to create user interfaces that aren't complete cluster f**ks. They added tablet style application organization (as an option) without screwing over the entire OS.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2013, 00:04 Brin

Even someone does like it, I'd challenge the practicality and ease of use in comparison to a long-used and familiar tool that already existed.

Well, it's all a bit subjective isn't it? Some people claim that command line tools are more practical and versatile than some graphical UI and that is because they know how to use it.

For example, I was excited when Microsoft announced a change in the UI. I am still extremely pleased with it! The result of this, I can't help but think, is that I was rather open to learning to use it and so I agree with the poster that you quoted: I find it to be a significantly faster OS to use than windows 7 (in the sense that I can access 'notes.txt' within my My Documents folder faster; I can't comment on milliseconds saved when opening said file), and I really liked W7. Is it perfect? Nope, and I wouldn't even claim W7 was perfect. Is it an improvement in my life over Windows 7? Yes.

But, I am reasonably suspicious of your disdain for W8 since, not only do you argue that YOU dislike it (the only reasonable stance) but you go further to try to 'objectively' prove that it is a worse OS. Even more distasteful is that you try to use YouTube videos to prove your point. There are YouTube videos suggesting that the end of the world is nigh, that people faked the moon launch, that the Illuminati rule the world, etc. YouTube is not an authoritative source

Anyways, if you could show me how many users of Windows 8 use programs like Start8 or Pokki, I'd be interested. For example, is it 80% of Win8 users using these startmenu replacements? Is it 50%? 10%? You don't know either.

Ultimately, in a world where I gave more shits, I'd ask why you are so angry over Windows 8. Perhaps you fear change on some deep level. I can't help but think: Get the fuck over it.

9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 21, 2013, 23:35 nin

jdreyer wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 23:23:
I don't know if we can call it epic fail of the decade yet. The decade is still young and MS will release at least two more operating systems before the end. :p

Still plenty of time to fuck things up further!

I like your thinking!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 21, 2013, 23:31 PropheT

Or people are too busy using it to comment but I'll take a moment. The new tile system is far faster to find, launch and organize applications than the old Start Menu.

I have no idea how or why you would claim that unless you worked for Microsoft. It's just plain and simple demonstrably untrue, and there are a number of easy to find articles and videos out there explaining exactly why. You can find people practically everywhere that talk about how confusing or poorly designed it is, from novices to IT professionals. Programs like Start8 or Pokki are way more popular than they should be.

You've said in the past that the Start screen was faster with loads of data backing that up, but didn't show any of it then and you still can't now.

The new tile system looks pretty much like a cluttered desktop when configured. I have no idea how or why that would be considered better than either a) the desktop, which is still there anyway, or b) a layered menu system where you can more easily drill down to exactly what you want. You can't even point at the Search functionality to find the icons, since that was in the old Start menu anyway.

Even someone does like it, I'd challenge the practicality and ease of use in comparison to a long-used and familiar tool that already existed.

7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 21, 2013, 23:25 Alamar

Prez wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 23:07:

I've actually no idea how good Windows 8 is, since the tile system is so unpopular no one even gets as far as talking about anything else. That's a pretty big fail right there.

Or people are too busy using it to comment but I'll take a moment. The new tile system is far faster to find, launch and organize applications than the old Start Menu.

Everyone just used shortcuts on the desktop though didn't they? I know I did, and still do.

Now that I launch 95% of my games through Steam, it's more moot, but I put shortcuts to everything else I want, on my Desktop, then make my bar double height, and put the desktop on the bottom half... Even with 4k resolution, having to find shit on the desktop (under a pile of windows) would be a pain... And in the end, it's not all that different from using the quick launch bar, but I like it this way : )

-Alamar

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 21, 2013, 23:23 jdreyer

I don't know if we can call it epic fail of the decade yet. The decade is still young and MS will release at least two more operating systems before the end. :p

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 21, 2013, 23:07 Prez

I've actually no idea how good Windows 8 is, since the tile system is so unpopular no one even gets as far as talking about anything else. That's a pretty big fail right there.

Everyone just used shortcuts on the desktop though didn't they? I know I did, and still do.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 21, 2013, 23:00 DDI

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 21, 2013, 22:17 Optional Nickname!

Re: Hocp 2012 NVIDIA Video Card Driver Review

"Whichever video card you decide to go with, install at least ForceWare 310.70 WHQL and you will have a great gameplay experience."

By way of anecdote, I have had the most unpleasant 310.70 WHQL experience with a 560Ti/448. Not only did remnants of the installation remain to cause "a DLL is requesting initialization in all applications" or somesuch cryptic error in the "Driver Shim Init" or somesuch DLL. It also created artifacts and other VRAM style texture errors I have not seen for years in Forceware drivers.

The 306.97's are seemingly much more robust and let's not forget that NVIDIA has shut off LOD Bias clamping in legacy products with these current drivers. LOD clamping is a very useful setting to counter texture aliasing. Add HD audio, PhysX, Nvidia on-line update checking and now '3D' aware drivers you have a very complicated driver suite making troubleshooting much more difficult.

My point, if any, is that there is more substance to driver suitability than mere FPS results.

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 21, 2013, 20:53 Quboid

- Quboid

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 21, 2013, 20:17 wtf_man

Windows 8: Epic Fail of the Decade.
..............................................................^

Fixed.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo