Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Stronghold Kingdoms Boasts 1.5M Players

Firefly Studios announces Stronghold Kingdoms now has more than 1.5 million registered users, and they are launching their a new game world to help compensate for demand for their online castle-building game. The 13th world, called "world 7" (we're just going to assume that makes sense), will go live on Wednesday, and they express hopes that this is the first of many such launches this year.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Stronghold Kingdoms Boasts 1.5M Players Jan 26, 2013, 17:41 FalconerHG

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 11:18:
As I said, based on steam and forum activity ^^ I would be very surprised if they had more than 10k

But on the other hand, i don't really care. What I hear about this game makes me not want to even try it, even if its free.

Small update.

World 7 is open for 5 days now and has 16k players. Granted, most of them come from the other 6 English worlds, but even so, that's a good number.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Stronghold Kingdoms Boasts 1.5M Players Jan 22, 2013, 11:18 eRe4s3r

As I said, based on steam and forum activity ^^ I would be very surprised if they had more than 10k

But on the other hand, i don't really care. What I hear about this game makes me not want to even try it, even if its free.

10. Re: Stronghold Kingdoms Boasts 1.5M Players Jan 22, 2013, 06:24 FalconerHG

Most people don't play SHK via Steam so you can't use that as a reference.

And you can play the game perfectly fine without paying a dime. (though for about 5 bucks a month, you buy a lot of convenience)

9. Re: Stronghold Kingdoms Boasts 1.5M Players Jan 21, 2013, 19:27 eRe4s3r

Seems to me active users are around 5000 to 10000

Based on steam stats, and their forum activity. Also they seem to be in the process of locking down world 5 and is the usual pay to win, win to pay kind of f2p concept. (Hence people being less than amused about world lock-downs)

8. Re: Stronghold Kingdoms Boasts 1.5M Players Jan 21, 2013, 19:06 theromulans

Blue, honestly any announcement about a Free To Play game's "registered user count" should not be wasting our time on your great site.

Talk to us about active users, Firefly Studios, or you are just insulting everyone's intelligence. This is clearly faux success link bait posing as something that seems newsworthy.

I'm ashamed to be a part of that 1.5 million.

7. Re: Stronghold Kingdoms Boasts 1.5M Players Jan 21, 2013, 13:25 eRe4s3r

SH3? I still have it installed and tested every patch but "lately" no.. after the last patch, and then never again It is no longer crashing and most economic issues have been fixed.. As I said, it is more or less fun.. were it not for how the stone walls and anything relating to that works. Sadly "everything relating to that, includes barracks and armory. If you think of putting them inside a wall (they have walls as part of the model)... don't do it. ^^ Also never put stairs or anything on a wall while troops stand on it. And make sure you watch for gaps.. ah those gaps...

There is nothing good to say though. As a game at the core, Stronghold 3 is bad, it neither does combat well (it does it extremely badly), nor diplomacy (doesn't have any). The maps are way too small, and there is barely any space to really build a castle. Well, actually there is not a single campaign map where you really can build a large castle.

I don't want to be so negative because I invested a lot of time with Firefly games but ever since they started going 3D.. it's been a downhill ride. I have to yet to see anything indicating that Firefly Studios can make a 3D castle builder that is not horrible in some way.

Also one of the major issues with Stronghold 3 is that units on walls don't have a range bonus nor armor bonus (you'd think hiding behind stone walls protects you..). One of the fundamental oversights, making walls LITERALLY completely absolutely and totally USELESS.

There is literally no reason to build walls in Stronghold 3, apart from building a maze for breaking the AI pathfinding (another issue...) the AI can't handle if you don't "enclose your keep" it runs around making it possible to build tower defense mazes with walls...

I would link you to my SH3 screenshot gallery on steam, but I can't actually see my screenshots anymore, they load so slowly hehe.. Don't really feel like playing it right now...

6. Re: Stronghold Kingdoms Boasts 1.5M Players Jan 21, 2013, 13:09 ShakaUVM

If you want to play it, you need to be on it constantly, day and night.

I did it when it was in beta, and will never play it again. Even though it was fun.

5. Re: Stronghold Kingdoms Boasts 1.5M Players Jan 21, 2013, 13:03 jdreyer

Eraser,
Have you played it lately? Now that it's been out a while I'm wondering if they have done a good job of patching it up.

In that interview yesterday about Crusader 2 they recognized the problems with SH3 and were committed to not repeating them.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

4. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 21, 2013, 11:36 HorrorScope

Yeah registered users in a FTP game mean nothing. Just proves once again, "free" still attracts.  

3. Re: Stronghold Kingdoms Boasts 1.5M Players Jan 21, 2013, 10:44 eRe4s3r

This game is why I am starting to doubt PC gaming is a good place to be for a non-casual gamer. I mean did anyone here actually play this? It is complete dumbed down casual GRIND HEAVY garbage. It is essentially Farmville except not on Facebook and (now the world ends) slightly more complex and with a stronghold skin.

Also nice wording there "1.5 million registered users" vs "X active users"

And finally, I find it hilarious they blamed the publisher for Stronghold 3 debacle. When they promo'd the wall system WE IN THE FORUMS TOLD THEM THAT THIS SYSTEM HAS SEVERE ISSUES. They wanted to make buildings merge into the walls, we told them that was technically impossible with the way walls work.. we turned out to be right (and how they wanted to make the "destruction procedural" .. I know a bit about walls in games, don't ask.. I even made a wall mod for LOTR BFME2 so I knew that there is no possible way to make a physical mesh merge correctly with a procedural mesh. And the horrible wall building system is the primary reason I don't like SH3, it could be a passing fun game, if only the walls weren't completely worthless and had issues everywhere (including physics.. funnily enough)

2. Re: Stronghold Kingdoms Boasts 1.5M Players Jan 21, 2013, 09:35 Neilsouth

I made multiple accounts just to get extra cards, way way back in the early day of sk gaming :p  

1. Re: Stronghold Kingdoms Boasts 1.5M Players Jan 21, 2013, 09:01 Ozmodan

95% of those users played the game and left. Not exactly a great game.  

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo