Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Army, Navy Jan 21, 2013, 20:21 eRe4s3r

You are probably right, but I would assume this is just to force Bohemia to get their asses moving and stop neglecting the VBS2 environment. You never know, someone might get there with $44m over 5 years.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Army, Navy Jan 21, 2013, 19:25 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 19:14:
I think the main problem is how the engine handles interiors, and you know it's not gonna be improved. Look at the footage so far, how many interior and object interactions with the world are you seeing? And the animations in the E3 footage still looked as terrible as in Operation Flashpoint. The original one.

Hmm, but is there any alternative currently in existence? I don't think $44m over 5 years will get you there, will it?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

9. Re: Army, Navy Jan 21, 2013, 19:14 eRe4s3r

I think the main problem is how the engine handles interiors, and you know it's not gonna be improved. Look at the footage so far, how many interior and object interactions with the world are you seeing? And the animations in the E3 footage still looked as terrible as in Operation Flashpoint. The original one.  

8. Army, Navy Jan 21, 2013, 18:30 jdreyer

both the Army and Navy are seeking contracts for the creation of updated virtual PC simulation games that will look and play more like Call of Duty than the games already available...According to the report, the Army is looking for a first-person, massively multiplayer online shooter to replace Bohemia Interactive's Virtual Battlespace 2. It is offering a contract of approximately $44.5 million over five years to the winning application, which must include the ability to integrate more players across larger landmasses and accurately re-create territories like Afghanistan.

A few things jump out at me.

1. If the Army is looking for a game that looks like Call of Duty, then it needs to spend $200 million like Call of Duty did.

2. The reason that Call of Duty and BF3 look so good is because the maps are limited to a few square miles. You can't get that level of detail across a space the size of Afghanistan.

I guess it's good to put out an open call, but if they went with Bohemia Interactive the first time, it would might make sense to go with them again. That engine renders huge swaths of land and Arma 3 is shaping up to be a pretty good looking game. Are there other games out there that could be used for this?

7. Re: etc. Jan 21, 2013, 18:11 jdreyer

I am surprised at this. Levine is a pretty smart guy, has a foul mouth, and hires people who aren't known for empathy, like Sean Elliot. The way I've written this makes it sound like a negative, but I view all of these as net positives that result in better games.

On the other hand, if the pressure is coming from several members of your own team, I could see multiple motivations for changing things. So in my mind, it seems that this was done for team harmony, as opposed to avoiding a launch day controversy, publicity of which could only help the game, IMO.

6. Re: etc. Jan 21, 2013, 15:05 The Half Elf

So rip something out of another publication's article and put enough vagueness on it yourself to get some website hits?  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

5. Re: etc. Jan 21, 2013, 13:06 Orphic Resonance

Levine is a toolbag  

4. Re: etc. Jan 21, 2013, 12:33 Cutter

Could that article have said less? Offensive how exactly? Maybe that person was overly sensitive. Regardless, anyone who capitulates like that is a coward. Every thing I see written about that game only leads me to believe it's going to suck.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: etc. Jan 21, 2013, 11:49 eRe4s3r

Perfect example of doublethink...  

2. Re: etc. Jan 21, 2013, 10:15 Verno

I'm not going to change anything except for the things I am going to change.

"One of the characters in the game was highly altered based upon some very interesting conversations I had with people on the team who came from a very religious background," said Levine in an interview with Official PlayStation Magazine.

"I was able to understand they were kind of upset about something."

Someones religious sensibilities were offended, whoa no way.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

1. Re: etc. Jan 21, 2013, 08:50 netnerd85

What I said to them was, ĎIím not going to change anything to get your approval, but I think I understand what youíre saying and I think I can do something thatís going to make the story better, based on what you said.í So I did that

lol

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo