Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs

A post on SideQuesting takes issue with the Terms of Service for beta testers of SimCity, the upcoming continuation of Maxis' urban planning series (thanks Joao). It seems EA is taking a zero-tolerance policy towards those who knowingly abuse bugs to the extent that users who fail to report bugs are threatened with loss of access to "all EA products," not just this beta. It seems apparent this will only apply to those who actually exploit unreported bugs, as this would be their only way of knowing who is aware of them. Here is the clause in question:

“It is understood and agreed that, as part of your participation in the Beta Program, it is your responsibility to report all known bugs, abuse of ‘bugs’, ‘undocumented features’ or other defects and problems related to the Game and Beta Software to EA as soon as they are found (“Bugs”). If you know about a Bug or have heard about a Bug and fail to report the Bug to EA, we reserve the right to treat you no differently from someone who abuses the Bug. You acknowledge that EA reserve the right to lock anyone caught abusing a Bug out of all EA products.”

View
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

62. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 21, 2013, 00:56 MxxCon

Frags4Fun wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 00:23:
How could they possibly prove that you "know" of a bug and didn't report it!? Are they mind readers? Are they just going to assume that anyone who just happens to unwittingly be within close proximity to a bug exploiter that he/she is completely aware that there is an exploit going on? This is just beyond stupid.

Maybe they are trying to hold onto that "Worst Company" title.
Most likely their embedded spyware will phone home every possible metric about the game and your computer, and they would look it up in their logs.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

61. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 21, 2013, 00:42 KilrathiAce

LIke I need another reason not to ever buy any EA published games  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

60. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 21, 2013, 00:23 Frags4Fun

How could they possibly prove that you "know" of a bug and didn't report it!? Are they mind readers? Are they just going to assume that anyone who just happens to unwittingly be within close proximity to a bug exploiter that he/she is completely aware that there is an exploit going on? This is just beyond stupid.

Maybe they are trying to hold onto that "Worst Company" title.

59. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 23:42 Creston

Good old EA. I'm sure there's still tits defending them, as well.

Creston

58. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 23:29 Jackplug

Is it just me or is using bugs/exploits in a beta part of being a closed beta tester? I've been a closed beta tester for many a game and used many exploits to see what the problems are and try to see what else the bug or exploit area can do/lead too or cause...To ban someone for using them is stupid cos they may of just read the closed beta forums and carried on using it.

EA are just dumb fucks, I wouldnt beta test their games then. Fuck em!

57. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 23:26 StingingVelvet

This, among other reasons, is why I dislike always online games. I won't be playing them. If that means gaming ends for me, then it ends. I have a backlog of like 300 games anyway.  

56. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 23:09 Fletch

Fuck EA. The hubris of these assholes... as if they are developing some lifesaving drug instead of a fucking video game. Abusing bugs during beta IS beta testing. MP SimCity is just stupid anyway. Fuck EA.  

55. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 22:41 MxxCon

NKD wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 21:54:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 20:00:
Banning EA games from my library sounds more like a feature than a threat. It's sort of like a spam filter.

Shouldn't you guys be happy when EA shuts down games then?
They shut down game servers not because EA is hurting on money but because they are greedy fucks that are pushing people to buy the latest yearly roster update/modern military shooter/new paint job.

54. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 22:25 Dades

NKD wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 21:54:
Banning EA games from my library sounds more like a feature than a threat. It's sort of like a spam filter.

The answer is: it depends but you knew that already.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

53. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 21:54 NKD

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

52. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 21:53 Nadool

How does this company still make any money??? Fucking stupid people I swear. If I am to ever own another EA game in my lifetime, it's going to have to be really really really can't miss good, best game ever type shit.

These people sicken me.

51. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 20:15 Smellfinger

No, it's more like an enema.

50. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 20:00 Silicon Avatar

49. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 19:50 Parallax Abstraction

Well, it's not like I needed another reason to not play this game. I was really looking forward to the new ideas that were being shown off too. Thanks EA.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

48. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 20, 2013, 19:42 Shok

"You acknowledge that EA reserve the right to lock anyone caught abusing a Bug out of all EA products.”

I didn't really need another reason to never install Origin but thanks anyway for this one EA! /finger

47. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 20, 2013, 19:25 HorrorScope

I guess we'll have a follow up post Monday on EA clarifying this one. I love the tough wording (not really) but you know they cannot afford to really follow up. So it's a scare tactic, but even doing that, you get this. More negative shit and a good chance to win worst company in March brackets.  

46. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 19:11 Yosemite Sam

This is totally absurd, whos the moron at EA who came up with this turd of a concept. I hate cheaters and think they ruin multiplayer too, and I'm all for dropping the hammer on them... but theres a line between people who hack to cheat and people who exploit knowingly or unknowingly a poorly coded game. EA is essentially saying we are going to punish you for our incompetence, fucking hilarious.... and for a game that should be single player only to boot.

I'd like to think the masses would wake up to this crap and make a stand, but the reality is they're totally clueless and these companys know it.

YES SIR! May I have another!

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

45. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 18:41 Flatline

entr0py wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 18:37:
Seems like whoever wrote those terms was afraid of bad publicity caused by exploits before release. And they're right to be; one consequence of making the game online only is that customers will get irritated by cheats and hacks.

But actually following through with a universal ban for screwing around in a beta test would cause far more bad press then it prevents. I think it's an empty threat.

Well, if enough internet nerd rage is unleashed, it might never get to the point where it could be tested, but I totally can see EA doing this.

I'm sure their original intent was that you couldn't exploit a bug and destroy a built, or gain access to the server, or something stupid like that, and then claim "I was just beta testing!"

However, it's pretty vague. If the button alignment isn't lined up properly and I have to click 10 pixels to the left to hit that button, and it takes a couple weeks to roll out a patch/fix, then I'm technically at EA's whim to uni-ban me.

44. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 18:37 entr0py

Seems like whoever wrote those terms was afraid of bad publicity caused by exploits before release. And they're right to be; one consequence of making the game online only is that customers will get irritated by cheats and hacks.

But actually following through with a universal ban for screwing around in a beta test would cause far more bad press then it prevents. I think it's an empty threat.

43. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 18:35 Omni

That's one amazing company.

They might get away with in US but I highly doubt it holds any water in EU.

82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo