Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs

A post on SideQuesting takes issue with the Terms of Service for beta testers of SimCity, the upcoming continuation of Maxis' urban planning series (thanks Joao). It seems EA is taking a zero-tolerance policy towards those who knowingly abuse bugs to the extent that users who fail to report bugs are threatened with loss of access to "all EA products," not just this beta. It seems apparent this will only apply to those who actually exploit unreported bugs, as this would be their only way of knowing who is aware of them. Here is the clause in question:

“It is understood and agreed that, as part of your participation in the Beta Program, it is your responsibility to report all known bugs, abuse of ‘bugs’, ‘undocumented features’ or other defects and problems related to the Game and Beta Software to EA as soon as they are found (“Bugs”). If you know about a Bug or have heard about a Bug and fail to report the Bug to EA, we reserve the right to treat you no differently from someone who abuses the Bug. You acknowledge that EA reserve the right to lock anyone caught abusing a Bug out of all EA products.”

View
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

22. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 17:06 Slick

ASeven wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 16:47:
Holy shit Slick, you're going beyond fanboi levels of insanity.

lol really?

i'm saying: "if you don't like it, don't buy it, that's your freedom, that's capitalism. it doesn't not give you free license to steal. doesn't give you the right to pirate. theivery is bad"

and you think that's beyond the fanboi levels of insanity? can you read?

LESS HYPERBOLE! MORE REASONDED ARGUMENTS!

also, "killing another game cause of EA greedyness" is exaggerated? do you know how well The Sims series has sold? LOL! get your facts straight you hate-spilling noob. Just like Diablo 3 was a commercial failure, cause you know there was NO PIRACY. ROFLROFLROFL.

ahh the parable of the noob: "fuck this i hate it it's terrible, so i'll just steal it and pretend it's justified" then the corporation who pays the artists to make the art you're stealing goes: "well i guess we're gonna put always-on DRM so that you can't STEAL FROM US"

and of course it's the big evil corporation who's being unreasonable in that instance, yes you're always the victim Mr. Noob, the world is out to get you, boo hoo hoo, cry me a river, qqqqqqqqqqq

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2013, 17:12.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 17:05 MxxCon

ASeven wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 16:56:
This is just insane and reaching unheard levels of draconian measures. Ah well, one more nail in the SC coffin. My only complain is that EA is again killing another damn good series for good all because they got greedy.

Dammit, the thought of never playing another SimCity as good as 2000 or 4, or playing another SC at all, makes me sad. EA sure loves destroying their IP.
Will Wright left EA long time ago, and most of good Maxis talent as well. There are many equally good city-building games around.

20. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 16:58 ASeven

Kosumo wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 16:53:
Praise be to Allah that ASeven is here to bring balance then!

Uh... you're not that good at trolling, you know?

19. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 16:56 ASeven

This is just insane and reaching unheard levels of draconian measures. Ah well, one more nail in the SC coffin. My only complain is that EA is again killing another damn good series for good all because they got greedy.

Dammit, the thought of never playing another SimCity as good as 2000 or 4, or playing another SC at all, makes me sad. EA sure loves destroying their IP.

18. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 16:55 Techie714 ©

Um yea, Fuck that noise!

Oh & FU EA!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

17. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 16:53 Kosumo

Praise be to Allah that ASeven is here to bring balance then!  

16. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 16:47 ASeven

Holy shit Slick, you're going beyond fanboi levels of insanity.  

15. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 16:46 zombiefan

Jeez, EA. Don't try to ingratiate PC gamers so much. You'll come off as tacky.  

14. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 16:40 Dev

Cutter wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 16:39:
I seriously doubt this would stand up in court.
Let me think, has a EULA ever stood up?

Also, does one own software or just get a license that can be revoked?

Oh wait...

13. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 16:39 Cutter

I seriously doubt this would stand up in court.  

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

12. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 16:37 MxxCon

If developers want to get my money, they should not work for EA. Ask me how many times I bought The Witcher, The Witcher 2 and The Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings.
I will support publisher and developers that are not assholes. I will have no pitty for assholes. EA is beyond salvation. The sooner they go out of business, the better this industry will be.

Slick wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 16:27:

what enlightment thinking.

so your solution is that you don't agree with EA, so you will fuck artists out of money they earn by stealing their works. bravo. you're an idiot. and the fact that you openly praise piracy just makes you look like a knob.

"i don't agree with this, so that gives me the right to steal it"

riiiiiight

if you don't agree with something, then you have the right to not buy it, that's capitalism. and i encourage everyone to vote with their dollars. if you don't like the looks of something, no one's putting a gun to your head to either buy it, beta test it, etc. just don't do it, that's your freedom.

your freedom does NOT include the right to steal from artists. if you can't get over that, then at least TRY to see this from a corporation's viewpoint.... WHY DO YOU THINK THEY'RE PUTTING ALWAYS ON DRM?????? CAUSE OF ASSHATS LIKE YOU! THANKS!

11. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 16:36 Wildone

WOw FUCK THEM  

10. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 16:32 Dev

WTF?
I signed up for this on my origin account to give the beta a try.

Now I'm NOT going to help them beta test if it risks any games on my account.

Slick wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 15:49:
yes the wording is very draconian, but i'm not going to hold my breath that anything like this would ever happen
Yeah, because EA has never done that before.

Wait a second...

This is EA, of course they did do something like this before. Anyone recall how people would talk on the EA forums about their games, and get banned not just from the forums but all EA games on their account?

When it comes to EA, just because its draconian and unreasonable doesn't mean they won't do it.

9. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 16:30 jdreyer

Way to treat your customer base like slave labor. Not that I was interested in an online only Sim City to begin with...  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

8. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 16:27 Slick

MxxCon wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 15:57:
So let me get this right:
I use MY time and put in MY effort to make sure that they make more money and they are THREATENING ME to LOCK ME OUT OF MY OWN GAMES?!

I acknowledge that EA reserve the right to go fuck itself, fuck its board of directors, fuck PR reps, fuck lawyers and fuck everybody else who was involved in writing this policy.
Additionally, I acknowledge that EA does not deserve and will not get a single penny of my money. Neither EA nor developers or nor any involved parties deserve to get my money. I acknowledge that if those developers do want to get paid, those developers should not have been employed by EA.
I acknowledge that should I choose so, I will continue to play any and all EA games without registering them with EA.

Viva la pirateria!

what enlightment thinking.

so your solution is that you don't agree with EA, so you will fuck artists out of money they earn by stealing their works. bravo. you're an idiot. and the fact that you openly praise piracy just makes you look like a knob.

"i don't agree with this, so that gives me the right to steal it"

riiiiiight

if you don't agree with something, then you have the right to not buy it, that's capitalism. and i encourage everyone to vote with their dollars. if you don't like the looks of something, no one's putting a gun to your head to either buy it, beta test it, etc. just don't do it, that's your freedom.

your freedom does NOT include the right to steal from artists. if you can't get over that, then at least TRY to see this from a corporation's viewpoint.... WHY DO YOU THINK THEY'RE PUTTING ALWAYS ON DRM?????? CAUSE OF ASSHATS LIKE YOU! THANKS!

7. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 16:12 fawker

The Sims has had known bugs for how long now?  

6. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 16:08 [SC]TherMight

Great reason to stop ever beta testing for EA.
Good chance you'll lose access to all their games due to their own bugs.

5. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 16:04 The Half Elf

I could to a degree get over the online only part but this makes it a no buy and all EA products going forward.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

4. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 15:57 MxxCon

So let me get this right:
I use MY time and put in MY effort to make sure that they make more money and they are THREATENING ME to LOCK ME OUT OF MY OWN GAMES?!

I acknowledge that EA reserve the right to go fuck itself, fuck its board of directors, fuck PR reps, fuck lawyers and fuck everybody else who was involved in writing this policy.
Additionally, I acknowledge that EA does not deserve and will not get a single penny of my money. Neither EA nor developers or nor any involved parties deserve to get my money. I acknowledge that if those developers do want to get paid, those developers should not have been employed by EA.
I acknowledge that should I choose so, I will continue to play any and all EA games without registering them with EA.

Viva la pirateria!

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2013, 16:16.

3. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 15:49 Slick

yeah, i wouldn't lose too much sleep over this.

yes the wording is very draconian, but i'm not going to hold my breath that anything like this would ever happen, it would be a PR nightmare if they banned an innocent from all of their games, no one would ever use origin again. think about it. it's just trying to set a precedent that's scary and harshly-worded so people actually report bugs..

can't say i approve, but i'm not exactly shaking in my boots, lol

82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo