Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs

A post on SideQuesting takes issue with the Terms of Service for beta testers of SimCity, the upcoming continuation of Maxis' urban planning series (thanks Joao). It seems EA is taking a zero-tolerance policy towards those who knowingly abuse bugs to the extent that users who fail to report bugs are threatened with loss of access to "all EA products," not just this beta. It seems apparent this will only apply to those who actually exploit unreported bugs, as this would be their only way of knowing who is aware of them. Here is the clause in question:

“It is understood and agreed that, as part of your participation in the Beta Program, it is your responsibility to report all known bugs, abuse of ‘bugs’, ‘undocumented features’ or other defects and problems related to the Game and Beta Software to EA as soon as they are found (“Bugs”). If you know about a Bug or have heard about a Bug and fail to report the Bug to EA, we reserve the right to treat you no differently from someone who abuses the Bug. You acknowledge that EA reserve the right to lock anyone caught abusing a Bug out of all EA products.”

View
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

42. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 18:30 Flatline

nin wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 17:40:
Slick wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 17:29:
yeah, you're just trolling, i don't think anyone on here is taking you seriously. you have no valid points. you're just trying to cause shit. you are encouraging people to steal from artists who make the art that we all love. That's really low. On a forum for people who love videogames trying to subvert and sabotage the industry which makes the content we all love, instead of just you know NOT BUYING IT. trying to encourage others to steal and follow your ill-advised lead is criminal. you shouldn't be allowed the right to even post here. yes "YOUR KIND" i'm happy that "YOUR KIND" won't be anywhere near my game. and you can take that to the bank.

The only one having a freak out here is you. Perhaps you should lay off the kool aid and take a break?

I'm curious if he can tell us what it tastes like to lick EA's boots...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 18:26 eRe4s3r

ASeven wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 17:43:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 17:35:
There are very few choices when it comes to City Building, and at least Sim City 5 offers a proper simulation engine so for people who want complexity, here you can really fine tune things to perfection.

I mean, nobody is forcing anyone to play this in beta or to buy it, but if you are curious on release you will most definitely be able to read my opinion about it here... ^^ I had lots of credit and 25% coupon on GMG.. hence an extremely good deal.

I at least can understand if you got the game for a really killer deal. The price on the European side of Origin for SC is about $100 (€80) for the deluxe edition. That's just crazy.

And yeah, to this day the only game I know of to use zoning and then allow said zoning to develop itself without the direct interference of the player has been SimCity. I never understood why no other game used this mechanic.

Maybe the new game by the devs of Dungeons of Dredmor will use that mechanic.

Yeah the Origin EU prices are insane. But on GMG i got it for, after conversion (hehe) for less than 20€ I think that's a good price for a pre-order. I never ever bought a game on Origin. So that tells you something, they have a really retarded pricing system.

And indeed, there are many upcoming games especially that one by the dredmor guys - Clockwork Empires - , and also that other one with the Alien planet and the plant growth.. ehm what was it called .. MAIA .. but I have the builder craving NOW (at least, before Summer). I can probably bottle it up till 8th March ^^ but no longer hehe... I couldn't resist Sim City when it is out anyway.. I have few type of games I am addicted to and Sim City style games are one.... Infinity ERA RPG's are the other. ^^

40. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 18:24 Flatline

DangerDog wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 15:35:
You acknowledge that EA reserve the right to lock anyone caught abusing a Bug out of all EA products.”

if they had that same policy with Battlefield 3 then 99.9% of the players would be banned.

How are you supposed to beta test for bugs if you don't repeat/"exploit" bugs that you discover. I mean, reporting a bug is one thing, but is the bug reproducible? What is the procedure to make the bug happen? What is the frequency of the bug. Does the bug only happen under certain circumstances? These are basic, important questions, and is the ENTIRE purpose behind beta testing. Punishing for that... well.. if they run QA like they run this beta, no wonder their games are buggy messes.

39. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 18:17 eRe4s3r

Hehe, I browsed the list, found I know all of the (windows) ones.. how sad. I wish there was a proper (science fiction) space and planetary base simulation. Like.. ehm what was it called... Startopia? Just much larger in scale.  

38. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 18:13 pagb

They definetly went nuts. Banning over a BETA? nonsense!  

37. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 18:13 Prez

Well it seems that EA still thinks maintaining a contentious and threatening relationship with its customers is a good way to do business. Then they act surprised when they are voted most hated company in America.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

36. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 17:51 ASeven

MxxCon wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 17:45:
See https://www.mobygames.com/game-group/genre-simulation-city-building for some other games.

Nice, thanks for the find.

35. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 17:48 Beelzebud

A fine example of why EA gets no money from me. If I have to use Origin to play a game, that is just a game I simply never play. No game is essential.  

34. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 17:45 MxxCon

See https://www.mobygames.com/game-group/genre-simulation-city-building for some other games.  

33. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 17:43 ASeven

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 17:35:
There are very few choices when it comes to City Building, and at least Sim City 5 offers a proper simulation engine so for people who want complexity, here you can really fine tune things to perfection.

I mean, nobody is forcing anyone to play this in beta or to buy it, but if you are curious on release you will most definitely be able to read my opinion about it here... ^^ I had lots of credit and 25% coupon on GMG.. hence an extremely good deal.

I at least can understand if you got the game for a really killer deal. The price on the European side of Origin for SC is about $100 (€80) for the deluxe edition. That's just crazy.

And yeah, to this day the only game I know of to use zoning and then allow said zoning to develop itself without the direct interference of the player has been SimCity. I never understood why no other game used this mechanic.

Maybe the new game by the devs of Dungeons of Dredmor will use that mechanic.

32. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 17:40 nin

yeah, you're just trolling, i don't think anyone on here is taking you seriously. you have no valid points. you're just trying to cause shit. you are encouraging people to steal from artists who make the art that we all love. That's really low. On a forum for people who love videogames trying to subvert and sabotage the industry which makes the content we all love, instead of just you know NOT BUYING IT. trying to encourage others to steal and follow your ill-advised lead is criminal. you shouldn't be allowed the right to even post here. yes "YOUR KIND" i'm happy that "YOUR KIND" won't be anywhere near my game. and you can take that to the bank.

The only one having a freak out here is you. Perhaps you should lay off the kool aid and take a break?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

31. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 17:38 ASeven

Here sport, let me type clearly so you can understand:

At no point did I advocate piracy except in your diseased mind;
I don't give a fuck if people like mediocre games or not, it's their business to buy them or not, but when a publisher pulls draconian, customer-harming stuff then that then it should become everyone's business and even fanbois like you should take notice and not allow this to happen;
The fact you let this happen just to play a shiny that will no doubt be a huge disappointment only shows your absolute lack of spine;
Since almost nobody is interested in buying this new SC due to all the bad information about it, enjoy playing in a forced multiplayer game with a tiny community.

30. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 17:35 eRe4s3r

ASeven wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 17:09:
MxxCon wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 17:05:
ASeven wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 16:56:
This is just insane and reaching unheard levels of draconian measures. Ah well, one more nail in the SC coffin. My only complain is that EA is again killing another damn good series for good all because they got greedy.

Dammit, the thought of never playing another SimCity as good as 2000 or 4, or playing another SC at all, makes me sad. EA sure loves destroying their IP.
Will Wright left EA long time ago, and most of good Maxis talent as well. There are many equally good city-building games around.

I don't agree with the many good city-building games around part. Not like SimCity where you zone land and watch it grow by itself. The Anno games are economic simulators, CitiesXL doesn't even come close to SC2000, let alone 4, Tropico is the most decent of city builders out there but there's no zoning and the complexity of the game is pretty low.

My only hope right now is an opensource game called I,Mayor though that one still has a long, long way to go before it reaches a level comparable to any SC game.

Unfortunately there's really nothing good right now that compares to SC.

I totally agree with you. Sim City 4 was at least somewhat complex but ultimately very easy once you understood what you are doing, Anno games are an entirely different thing. And what else is there really? There was Grand Ages Rome which imo tried some cool ideas but is also very simple in a way. Once you understand how crime/food/satisfaction works you can't even lose anymore, unless you like.. get invaded.

There was Sim City Societies which on the economic mode was actually quite difficult, but it was a simple game underneath. But to be fair they did try that to be a game more about building your style of city in broader sense and not realistic sense. And in that it's even a good game.

There was Cities XL (all versions) which is so hilariously easy to play that I can't even call it a sim without laughing out loud Only much later, once you had 200k or more inhabitants did difficulty spike every now and then, but not because of complexity but rather because of a good shortage that needs another city to solve.

So what else... mhh .. Tropico, extremely simple gameplay once you understand it, especially Tropico 4 is a joke. You have to actively play to lose to ever actually be able to lose.. I gotta admit simply because of that this new sim city is a (rebated) buy for me. Yes whatever, online only, DRM bullshit and so on. But I got a great deal on it so meh...

29. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 17:34 Dades

Loss of all EA products, shit I guess that means I can't use Origin anymore oh fuck what will I do?!

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

28. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 17:29 Slick

ASeven wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 17:21:
Slick wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 17:17:
ASeven wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 17:10:
Slick wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 17:06:
ASeven wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 16:47:
Holy shit Slick, you're going beyond fanboi levels of insanity.

lol really?

i'm saying: "if you don't like it, don't buy it, that's your freedom, that's capitalism. it doesn't not give you free license to steal. doesn't give you the right to pirate. theivery is bad"

and you think that's beyond the fanboi levels of insanity? can you read?

LESS HYPERBOLE! MORE REASONDED ARGUMENTS!

Still with the same fanboi insane levels. A shame.

so i'm to assume that you and your kind won't be playing my game? then i take back everything i said. it's a perfect system. a system that keeps hate filled victimized thieves away from my game? PERFECT! the system works! infact you should probably never play any game online again! i should be thanking my lucky stars that you won't be apart of the community that i'll be enjoying playing this title.

Oh god this is priceless. "My kind". BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Like I said, insane fanboi levels. Hey Slick, here's a shovel, keep digging that hole more!

27. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 17:21 ASeven

Slick wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 17:17:

lol really?

i'm saying: "if you don't like it, don't buy it, that's your freedom, that's capitalism. it doesn't not give you free license to steal. doesn't give you the right to pirate. theivery is bad"

so i'm to assume that you and your kind won't be playing my game? then i take back everything i said. it's a perfect system. a system that keeps hate filled victimized thieves away from my game? PERFECT! the system works! infact you should probably never play any game online again! i should be thanking my lucky stars that you won't be apart of the community that i'll be enjoying playing this title.

Oh god this is priceless. "My kind". BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Like I said, insane fanboi levels. Hey Slick, here's a shovel, keep digging that hole more!

26. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 17:19 Julio

Just don't beta test. EA has made it very unsafe to be a beta tester, you don't want to miss reporting a bug.  

25. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 17:17 Slick

lol really?

24. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 17:10 ASeven

lol really?

23. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 17:09 ASeven

MxxCon wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 17:05:
ASeven wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 16:56:
This is just insane and reaching unheard levels of draconian measures. Ah well, one more nail in the SC coffin. My only complain is that EA is again killing another damn good series for good all because they got greedy.

Dammit, the thought of never playing another SimCity as good as 2000 or 4, or playing another SC at all, makes me sad. EA sure loves destroying their IP.
Will Wright left EA long time ago, and most of good Maxis talent as well. There are many equally good city-building games around.

I don't agree with the many good city-building games around part. Not like SimCity where you zone land and watch it grow by itself. The Anno games are economic simulators, CitiesXL doesn't even come close to SC2000, let alone 4, Tropico is the most decent of city builders out there but there's no zoning and the complexity of the game is pretty low.

My only hope right now is an opensource game called I,Mayor though that one still has a long, long way to go before it reaches a level comparable to any SC game.

Unfortunately there's really nothing good right now that compares to SC.

82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo