Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Chris Taylor on Wildman

A Kickstarter update for Wildman follows up on news of layoffs at developer Gas Powered Games with a video from Chris Taylor explaining the situation at his company. He tells us that without the cuts, the company would have to immediately shut down if the Kickstarter failed, unable to fulfill any of its remaining obligations. Showing some emotion he says he was unwilling to gamble with people's livelihoods in this economy as the reason he mad that "tough decision." Chris then share another "tough decision," asking if he should continue the Kickstarter to see if the response to it improves so he can hire back the staff that wants to return, or shut it down and "call it done." They will tabulate votes from the comments to judge whether the campaign should continue.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

11. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 19, 2013, 22:57 StingingVelvet

mag wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 22:10:
They are considering canceling the kickstarter because it seems like it might not succeed. It's not getting the support they expected.

Which tells me their goal was not really 1.1 million, because that's attainable.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 19, 2013, 22:10 mag

nin wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 21:03:
The layoffs weren't sudden and unexpected, but rather planned (to some degree) based on how long they needed to develop the prototype versus how much cash they had left.

Yeah, it just looks unprofessional. Like there wasn't proper planning. "Hey! We have a kickstarter! Whoops! We may need to cancel the kickstarter!"

They are considering canceling the kickstarter because it seems like it might not succeed. It's not getting the support they expected.

9. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 19, 2013, 21:03 nin

The layoffs weren't sudden and unexpected, but rather planned (to some degree) based on how long they needed to develop the prototype versus how much cash they had left.

Yeah, it just looks unprofessional. Like there wasn't proper planning. "Hey! We have a kickstarter! Whoops! We may need to cancel the kickstarter!"

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

8. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 19, 2013, 20:46 ViRGE

nin wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 18:20:
Did he not see this coming before tossing up the KS? Was this really the best time for it?

From what I understand, up until now the staff had been working on the prototype. Had they started the KS any earlier the prototype would not be presentable, which would have made it difficult to raise funds in the first place.

This whole thing is a hail mary. The layoffs weren't sudden and unexpected, but rather planned (to some degree) based on how long they needed to develop the prototype versus how much cash they had left.

7. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 19, 2013, 20:40 Creston

Might as well keep it going. Listen to what people have to say about the concept so far, try and modify it to what people say they'd like to see, and hope more people will put up money.

I don't know that it's going to make it, but on the flipside, there have been plenty KS that started slow and picked up steam near the end. Not every one comes out with a game that funds in 24 hours.

Creston

6. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 19, 2013, 19:00 Cyanotetyphas

In my opinion all of these big dev Kickstarters are equally duplicitous, they've sold everyone on an ideal and they'll bang the freedom drum and get the waterworks going as much as they can.

Thats not to say this isn't better than depending on EA to deign to fart in your general direction. I just think that all of the "revolutionary" aspects are hyberbolic sales tactics and the devs have managed to find investors who give them less money but have no demands or control. So if you find Chris Taylor's crying to be calculated, I would agree but hey this is business.

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

5. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 19, 2013, 18:20 nin

Did he not see this coming before tossing up the KS? Was this really the best time for it?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 19, 2013, 18:13 Bhruic

Ugh, it's hard to not think it's a fake plea. The only people who can comment on his "tough decision" are ones who have already pledged. Why would they, if they were willing to pledge, then turn around and say "nah, go ahead and don't bother making the game I'm willing to pay you to make".

It's pretty obvious they won't, which makes it hard not to come to the conclusion he's using that strategy to garner attention. Which is a pretty under-handed tactic, if true.

3. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 19, 2013, 18:09 Slick

i love chris taylor, i still play both supcoms and love TA...

i've even spoken with him personally in the beta for supcom1, he spent 45 minutes talking with me, he's possibly the most likable personality in the gaming industry.

however, wildman doesn't seem to impress me, they're looking for a million dollars with little to show, and little to promise, the best i can tell is it's a crappy diablo clone. maybe if they wanted $200k or something i could see that working, but a million dollars is alot of cash, for not alot to show.

maybe some better promotions would have saved this project, it's hard to show people early pre-alpha footage and ask them to imagine the end product that might actually be fun.

i wish chris and GPG the best of luck, but i'm not giving my money to that kickstarter campaign, i don't see a fun end product.

2. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 19, 2013, 17:57 WaltC

Pretty sure this was covered or linked to in yesterday's GPG story.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

1. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 19, 2013, 17:31 AdamK47

I'm disappointed and sad at the same time.  

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo