Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Chris Taylor on Wildman

A Kickstarter update for Wildman follows up on news of layoffs at developer Gas Powered Games with a video from Chris Taylor explaining the situation at his company. He tells us that without the cuts, the company would have to immediately shut down if the Kickstarter failed, unable to fulfill any of its remaining obligations. Showing some emotion he says he was unwilling to gamble with people's livelihoods in this economy as the reason he mad that "tough decision." Chris then share another "tough decision," asking if he should continue the Kickstarter to see if the response to it improves so he can hire back the staff that wants to return, or shut it down and "call it done." They will tabulate votes from the comments to judge whether the campaign should continue.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 21, 2013, 04:20 Suppa7

Creston wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 01:49:
Supcom was fucking FANTASTIC fun, with the sole exception of those bullshit "The map expands, and suddenly there's 9 experimental units within firing range of your base that your Tech3 radars just somehow didn't see," events.

Creston

Only someone braindead would say this, Supcom 1 was a ghost-town multiplayer wise. A game that fails as badly to attract a multiplayer following is objectively not a good game in terms of fun. If you have a shitty sized multiplayer community that's pretty good evidence 99% of gamers find your game is boring.

Supcom 1 as a game was just mediocre. The SP campaign in the original was just awful compared to all the RTS games that have come before it. It was amateurish and hackish. Forged alliance fixed the campaign somewhat but even then it was just basically skirmish with no originality.

The problem is the RTS formula is stale and supcom didn't do anything new or interesting, just added a huge fuck tonne of redundant units and a lot of fucking micro management that wasn't very interesting.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 21, 2013, 01:50 Creston

Jerykk wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 05:18:
After reading the update, I have a better understanding of the gameplay but that only makes it seem worse. The hack 'n slash and RTS elements don't seem to be merged well. They're basically separate game modes entirely.

Anytime someone says the words "hack 'n 'slash" and "RTS" together, I dread I'm going to wind up with Dawn of War 2... Which is something I'll buy for 5 bucks on a Steam sale, not something I'll kickstart money for.

Creston

29. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 21, 2013, 01:49 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 16:29:
Ehehh all those kickstarters confused me, I meant another game but hit me.. I can't remember it's name. So nevermind. This is apparently not the "nearly complete game" that went to kickstarter ^^

You're thinking of American McGee Presents: American McGee's Kickstarter for American McGee:Akaneiro; an American McGee Game, by American McGee(tm).

Suppa7 wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 16:08:
Mavor and the team of developers at uber entertainment is actually to blame. I had a talk with Mavor and he is basically an RTS fascist he's not open to new ideas regarding RTS formula. He was the reason supreme commander was not as fun as it could have been.

You can see it in his obsession with lots of units and scale regarding supreme annihilation kickstarter they had without thinking through what is actually fun for players to do and where the fun is coming from.

?

Supcom was fucking FANTASTIC fun, with the sole exception of those bullshit "The map expands, and suddenly there's 9 experimental units within firing range of your base that your Tech3 radars just somehow didn't see," events.

Creston

28. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 20, 2013, 16:29 eRe4s3r

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 15:21:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 08:23:
And when a near complete game can't manage to show itself off properly then it's got fail written all over it.

Uh, what?

Ehehh all those kickstarters confused me, I meant another game but hit me.. I can't remember it's name. So nevermind. This is apparently not the "nearly complete game" that went to kickstarter ^^

I still think that as far as presentation goes this one sucks. Their update to content ratio is also horrible .. or maybe I am expecting too many things because of the Project Eternity kickstarter...

27. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 20, 2013, 16:08 Suppa7

Nate wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 11:06:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 09:31:
After I've watched that kickstarter video Demigod came to mind right away. It is like Chris lost his way after Supreme Commander 1. Too bad, best of luck to them.

This!

Mavor and the team of developers at uber entertainment is actually to blame. I had a talk with Mavor and he is basically an RTS fascist he's not open to new ideas regarding RTS formula. He was the reason supreme commander was not as fun as it could have been.

You can see it in his obsession with lots of units and scale regarding supreme annihilation kickstarter they had without thinking through what is actually fun for players to do and where the fun is coming from.

Demigod IMHO had the mark of someone who understood where fun comes from but they didn't have the funds or the team size to make demigod as good a game as it could have been.

26. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 20, 2013, 15:21 jacobvandy

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 08:23:
And when a near complete game can't manage to show itself off properly then it's got fail written all over it.

Uh, what?

25. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 20, 2013, 13:06 Erebus

I just pledged $1k to Wildman and it is a pleasure to support Chris and GPG.

Chris is one of the best people I ha ve encountered in business. He is a principled person and does the right thing. I have been enjoying his creations since TA. I have no doubt I will enjoy this game as well.

The game industry is in transition and I hope as many good independent studios like GPG make it through this transition as possible. The old funding model is drying up and KS has come along at a great time.

I know my $$ are going to go into the game with GPG, not into trying to put an office together and pull a first time team together.

Support GPG! Best of luck to Chris and his team!

ps loved Demigod. Didn't love impulse.

24. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 20, 2013, 11:06 Nate

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 09:31:
After I've watched that kickstarter video Demigod came to mind right away. It is like Chris lost his way after Supreme Commander 1. Too bad, best of luck to them.

This!

23. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 20, 2013, 09:31 SpectralMeat

Steam: SpectralMeat

22. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 20, 2013, 08:23 eRe4s3r

I read the intro flub on the kickstarter page, watched the vids, and still have no idea what kind of game it's gonna be. So as you say Jerykk, this Kickstarter is just not presenting itself properly. And when a near complete game can't manage to show itself off properly then it's got fail written all over it. Also as were are saying for years now, Kickstarter is about hope. You offer something that is nearly 99% done that leaves 1% hope. Not a good trade. ^^  

21. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 20, 2013, 05:18 Jerykk

True, they did elaborate on the gameplay mechanics in an update, but the initial video was pretty vague and the initial video is the only thing most potential backers will watch.

After reading the update, I have a better understanding of the gameplay but that only makes it seem worse. The hack 'n slash and RTS elements don't seem to be merged well. They're basically separate game modes entirely.

I think GPG would have been better off focusing either on the RTS or hack 'n slash parts of the game. If they had, potential backers would immediately understand how the game plays and the resulting game would likely be better.

20. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 20, 2013, 04:46 jacobvandy

It's there if you want to read it...  

19. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 20, 2013, 02:08 Jerykk

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 00:10:
The Half Elf wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 23:31:
I guess my head scratching issues is why go with a caveman theme? You go from a stick to a club+1 or a pebble to a stone? Do you get a dinosaur as a pet?
If ya wanted to go the zombie route you could do a Left 4 Dead type game, or Cyberpunk or Steampunk or Fallout style. Hell or even do a Time Travel theme that uses all of them...

EDIT: looks to be a Fantasy/Dungeon game, but didn't you already do that with Dungeon Siege?

With Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 pretty much sucking up all the limelight I would have stayed away from a fantasy/dungeon setting.

They explain rather plainly that the game is a mash-up of ARPG adventuring, RTS army deployment, and MOBA style battles. Simply a Diablo clone, it is not.

The issue is that people don't really understand how those different things actually work together and the kickstarter doesn't do a good job of explaining that. Kickstarters like Project Eternity, Wasteland 2, DFA, etc, all did well because backers knew exactly what they were getting in terms of gameplay. Wildman doesn't have that benefit.

18. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 20, 2013, 01:25 Slick

after reading some comments on here i'm seeing that it is aspiring to be more than a dungeon crawler diablo ripoff...

my main issue is that this should have been PLAINLY explained in BROAD DETAIL in the only video i've seen about this project.

i'm very ADD, and if you can't land my attention with your one video promoting your project, then you're not taking your job seriously. it did nothing to get me excited, let alone want to whip my credit card out...

maybe i'll re-consider, but Chris, baby, MAKE A PROPER PROMO VIDEO! no wonder it's underperforming

17. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 20, 2013, 00:54 Morga

Krizzen wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 00:51:
It seems more like a clone of Savages, which is in fact an FPS, RTS, and RPG combined. The name even has a similar feel...

No it doesn't, and Wildman is much more ambitous, modder friendly with a much more experienced and talented team.

16. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 20, 2013, 00:51 Krizzen

Just to clarify what it seems the game's design will be like, it's not a Diablo clone.

It seems more like a clone of Savages, which is in fact an FPS, RTS, and RPG combined. The name even has a similar feel...

15. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 20, 2013, 00:31 Morga

I guess my head scratching issues is why go with a caveman theme? You go from a stick to a club+1 or a pebble to a stone? Do you get a dinosaur as a pet?

Wildman spans 200 thousand years of human history and goes into the future, which is ambitious.

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 00:10:
They explain rather plainly that the game is a mash-up of ARPG adventuring, RTS army deployment, and MOBA style battles. Simply a Diablo clone, it is not.

Yes they'll combine those elements to create an original game, which supports modding to create your own game-worlds, game-modes to play for free or sell.

Chris Taylor is a legend of the games industry, the creator of the classic Total Annihilation.

They made some mistakes with Demigod, Space Siege and Supreme Commander 2, but want to make it right by using the best elements for Wildman and backer input.

They're obviously in dire need of kickstarter funding, cause their other project Age of Empires Online ended prematurely. And I guess they can't find a publisher for Kings and Castles which costs much more to produce ($5+ million). So they had to cut-staff to stay afloat, cause Gas Powered Games was suffering financially.

By removing the publishers, they can directly serve the backers. With the success of Wildman they'll be able to rehire staff members.

People should give them the benefit of the doubt. The game concept of Wildman is original, they learn from past experience, have a very talented team, and will use input of backers who'll help shape Wildman into The game that many people want to play!

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2013, 00:52.

14. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 20, 2013, 00:10 jacobvandy

If ya wanted to go the zombie route you could do a Left 4 Dead type game, or Cyberpunk or Steampunk or Fallout style. Hell or even do a Time Travel theme that uses all of them...

EDIT: looks to be a Fantasy/Dungeon game, but didn't you already do that with Dungeon Siege?

With Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 pretty much sucking up all the limelight I would have stayed away from a fantasy/dungeon setting.

13. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 19, 2013, 23:39 Rattlehead

I wish the best for Chris Taylor. I NEVER have backed up a kickstarter campaign, but I pledged $20 to this just cause I don't want to see yet another good company go under.

Chris, don't let the bitter, jaded forum goers(like this site) get you down.

TA and SupCom 4ever

12. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 19, 2013, 23:31 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo