Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gas Powered Games Layoffs

Gas Powered Games has laid of some staff shortly after the launch of their Wildman Kickstarter seeking $1.1 million for a new action/RPG. This is reported by Kotaku, who confirmed that the company has cut some staff with honcho Chris Taylor after getting wind of them through the grapevine. Taylor did not confirm the extent of the layoffs, however, so there are dramatic elements to the Kotaku report which remain speculative, as one source told them these were due to the Kickstarter underperforming, while other sources have told them that almost everyone who worked for the company was let go. There's a follow up to this on Gamasutra. "The studio is still operating, but we had to slim WAY down to conserve cash reserves," Chris Taylor confirmed for them, confirming some earlier comments that they are all in on Wildman: "We spent all the last dough that we've had, and the last several months working on it. So we're betting the company on it."

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

14. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 18, 2013, 23:36 dj LiTh

Lets see, Age of empires online, Demigod, and space seige....ya sounds good to me.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 18, 2013, 22:48 Creston

"We spent all the last dough that we've had, and the last several months working on it. So we're betting the company on it."

Ouch...

Creston

12. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 18, 2013, 22:45 jacobvandy

Here's the video update of the man himself explaining the situation.

He also asks at the end for people to sort of vote whether they should keep the campaign going or shut it down, in the KS comments. However, only backers can post comments, so that's bound to be biased (in a good way). I think there has been an uptick in pledges in the past hour or two, though, as well.

Think what you will about CT and GPG in general, or whether or not you think Wildman will be good or even get finished... I just hate to see people completely misunderstanding what's going on here. I've seen some comments on the KS page and elsewhere, of people flat out saying shit like FUCK YOU I HATE YOU THIS COMPANY IS DEAD GOOD RIDDANCE YOU FAIL HAR HAR, etc., purely because they're interpreting the layoffs as indication of a scam or poorly executed plan. They're taking a risk, sure, but I'm fairly certain it's a last resort that has been thought over way more than we'd ever realize.

11. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 18, 2013, 22:35 Alamar

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 22:28:
*facepalm*

Guys, seriously... This DOES NOT affect the Kickstarter in ANY WAY. This is the REASON for the Kickstarter. They put all they had, resources-wise, at the tail end of their employment with Microsoft, into starting development of this game. Now they have nothing left, except an early prototype and a crowd-funding pitch. If the KS succeeds, they will HIRE BACK as many people as they can afford to make this game. If not, then they're finished.

In other words, you can't let this news deter you from backing the project, if you would otherwise be interested in it. This makes them no different than any other indie start-up company, which would not be able to make the game if they don't meet the funding goal. Unlike, say, the American McGee people who were asking for hundreds of thousands of dollars to polish an existing title that they were going to release anyway.

This is basically how I see it, and if anything, urges me moreso to kick in... As it's more in line with what I think KS should be about; Money that's required to make it...

Also explains why they're asking for 'so much'... As opposed to so many recent KS projects where you just know the dev wants some 'free' funding...

Anyhow... Good luck to them ; ) I like Chris' attitude in a bunch of his vids (and the two Wildman ones), and he's someone I would have liked to work for had things worked out differently.

-Alamar

10. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 18, 2013, 22:29 Stimpack

Well, they're betting the company on this. This game isn't exactly thrilling me, but hopefully it thrills enough people to keep their heads above water. Honestly, while not trying to be a downer, I'd say this looks very grim for GPG.  

9. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 18, 2013, 22:28 jacobvandy

*facepalm*

Guys, seriously... This DOES NOT affect the Kickstarter in ANY WAY. This is the REASON for the Kickstarter. They put all they had, resources-wise, at the tail end of their employment with Microsoft, into starting development of this game. Now they have nothing left, except an early prototype and a crowd-funding pitch. If the KS succeeds, they will HIRE BACK as many people as they can afford to make this game. If not, then they're finished.

In other words, you can't let this news deter you from backing the project, if you would otherwise be interested in it. This makes them no different than any other indie start-up company, which would not be able to make the game if they don't meet the funding goal. Unlike, say, the American McGee people who were asking for hundreds of thousands of dollars to polish an existing title that they were going to release anyway.

8. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 18, 2013, 22:20 StingingVelvet

The video update ruins any chance of this succeeding IMO. He had no real plan, he was fine with gambling everyone's future on it until the day before, etc... no one should have faith in this thing after that if you ask me.  

7. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 18, 2013, 22:18 Dades

Gas Powered Games has a really spotty record so I'm not likely to give them a bunch of money that they aren't accountable for, layoffs or not.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

6. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 18, 2013, 22:17 WyldKat

This is certainly going to effect their Kickstarter  

5. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 18, 2013, 22:09 Crustacean Soup

NKD wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 21:56:
Prez wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 21:50:
It's getting ugly for a lot of gaming companies lately. Not good.

I don't really see this as a new thing. Game companies, unless mega-successful in the long term with a huge bankroll behind them, are always just one flop away from the shitcan.

Even within successful companies, this isn't even slightly uncommon.

4. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 18, 2013, 21:56 NKD

Prez wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 21:50:

I don't really see this as a new thing. Game companies, unless mega-successful in the long term with a huge bankroll behind them, are always just one flop away from the shitcan.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

3. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 18, 2013, 21:50 Prez

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

2. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 18, 2013, 21:43 jdreyer

Yeesh.

Well, I wish them luck on their KS.

I wonder if this means no more KS updates...

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

1. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 18, 2013, 21:15 DangerDog

going... going...

gone

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo