Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Mobilization

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 19, 2013, 21:37 PHJF

PS3 exclusive  

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 19, 2013, 20:52 Creston

PHJF wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 14:56:
I'm fucking going out to get that right now

It ain't out until Tuesday and I have a three-day weekend!

Is that on the PS3?

Creston

16. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 19, 2013, 20:50 Creston

Verno wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 09:16:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5FTJxfV3pc

Also let's play some Blitzball before Sin gets here mon!

I fucking LOVED Blitzball. I'd fire up FFX every now and then just to play Blitzball. It was way too easy and way too RPG'ish, but I dunno, I still just really enjoyed playing it.

I had one season where I was able to poach the three best Psyches in free agency, and had this fucking unstoppable juggernaut of a team that would score 14-15 times per game. It was crazy.

Creston

15. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 19, 2013, 14:56 PHJF

I'm fucking going out to get that right now

It ain't out until Tuesday and I have a three-day weekend!

14. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 19, 2013, 13:43 Verno

PHJF wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 10:37:
BTW if you enjoyed FFXII you need to play Xenoblade Chronicles over on Wii (it runs well enough under Dolphin, too). It's pretty much verbatim the style/substance of FFXII.

Yeah, Xenoblade Chronicles is a fantastic little JRPG though I'd caution people not to get too bogged down in the sidequests as you can heavily overlevel the story content which trivializes much of the game. The game is a total blast and has amazing level design and music.

hoh shit, am I out of the loop? I didn't even know Level5 was making a "next gen" jRPG (lol) and here's one now:
Ni no Kuni

That looks fucking stellar!

Uhhh holy fuck, that's another Studio Ghibli/Level 5 title, how did I miss that? I'm fucking going out to get that right now, thanks for the heads up dude.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

13. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 19, 2013, 11:04 PHJF

hoh shit, am I out of the loop? I didn't even know Level5 was making a "next gen" jRPG (lol) and here's one now:
Ni no Kuni

That looks fucking stellar!

12. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 19, 2013, 10:37 PHJF

BTW if you enjoyed FFXII you need to play Xenoblade Chronicles over on Wii (it runs well enough under Dolphin, too). It's pretty much verbatim the style/substance of FFXII.  

11. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 19, 2013, 10:36 Fantaz

Verno wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 09:16:
Creston wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 02:32:
Verno wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 00:05:
FFX had really approachable but well realized mechanics, the stories and characters are totally cringe worthy though.

You're way off base about FF12 though.

No, YOU are way off base about FFX! :p

Creston

ha ha ha ha... i remember that!

10. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 19, 2013, 10:34 PHJF

(I KNOW! LET'S MAKE OUR SP RPG LIKE AN MMO, SO THAT PLAYERS HAVE TO GRIND MOBS TO HOPE FOR THAT 0.000004% DROP RATE FOR AN ITEM THEY'LL NEED TO MAKE SOMETHING COOL! WOOOO!)

That was absolutely, 100% not required in any way shape or form for the main game. FF13 is a travesty because it doesn't HAVE any extraneous stuff to do until 4/5 of the way through the plotline, and even then the extra stuff is a pittance.

FFXII is my personal favorite because the plot is simple and only there to move the player forward, the zones are giant and populated by a wide variety of beasties, the no-loading-screen MMO-style combat is just plain more fun than any other FF, and the plethora of characters can be swapped out willy nilly. The fast pace of the combat made the tougher, optional boss/hunting battles intense.

9. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 19, 2013, 09:16 Verno

Creston wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 02:32:
FFX had really approachable but well realized mechanics, the stories and characters are totally cringe worthy though.

Creston

8. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 19, 2013, 02:32 Creston

Creston

7. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 19, 2013, 01:15 PropheT

You're way off base about FF12 though. The game has its flaws but the meta-game stuff isn't one of them, it's strictly there for completionists and is totally optional, you have to go out of your way to find it. It's great because it gives the game a lot of replay value and stuff to do aside from the main story. Sure theres some grind and Strategy Guide type stuff but that's what most players are looking for from an FF game.

FF12 is actually one of the best in the series, in my opinion, if it can be seen through to the end. There's a horrible lull in the middle of the game that I think stopped most people from ever seeing the really great parts of it. The mechanics are complex and definitely on the obtuse side, but I'd take them any day of the week over FF13's Paradigm system...which got inexplicable praise in the critical department.

FF13 is going to be a franchise killer if they keep insisting on putting out more games from that storyline. The story wasn't fantastic to begin with, the characters are only okay, the game takes at least 20+ hours to get to the part where you are required to do any thinking to play it, and so on. Tie that in with the disaster of FF14 and it's only a testament to the earlier games that anyone even cares what they're doing with the series anymore.

The honest truth of it is that the best Final Fantasy game to come out in years wasn't even a Final Fantasy game... it was Lost Odyssey, a game that way too many people overlooked on the 360. It's an awesome game, and beat FF at using its own formula; anybody who likes any of the FF games should check it out. It's not without some annoyances, just like any FF unfortunately, but it's great.

6. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 19, 2013, 00:05 Verno

Creston wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 22:51:
I actually thought FFX was the best since FF3, even though it was terrifyingly linear. I just really loved the setting, the story, the characters. It all clicked for me.

12 was a massive drag though (I KNOW! LET'S MAKE OUR SP RPG LIKE AN MMO, SO THAT PLAYERS HAVE TO GRIND MOBS TO HOPE FOR THAT 0.000004% DROP RATE FOR AN ITEM THEY'LL NEED TO MAKE SOMETHING COOL! WOOOO!) and I've yet to play 13, though I have to admit that I like the look of Lightning Returns. I'm holding off on it though until I know for sure that you can actually SAVE the world you're playing in, or if it's always doomed after 13 days.

Creston

You're way off base about FF12 though. The game has its flaws but the meta-game stuff isn't one of them, it's strictly there for completionists and is totally optional, you have to go out of your way to find it. It's great because it gives the game a lot of replay value and stuff to do aside from the main story. Sure theres some grind and Strategy Guide type stuff but that's what most players are looking for from an FF game.

If we're gonna ding FF12, it should be about the story that starts out with a really interesting Star Wars vibe and literally dies halfway through the game. The shoehorned kid characters that Square put in strictly for the NA release are another contrivance, the main character was supposed to be Basch initially. Ye Olde English dialogue would be another one of my complaints and some very punishing late game level design was a constant annoyance. The game had its problems but the typical FF meta game stuff wasn't it.

FF13 is balls, everyone has their own Best/Worst One In The Series but this was the first time I've seen so many unified in their dislike. I have to agree too, it was not really a game at all. You moved down a literal corridor at times through a mind numbing amount of cutscenes, characterization and story were awful and practically incomprehensible without reading the in-game encyclopedia and the battle mechanics weren't interesting. They are really in trouble if they think this is what people want from a FF game.

5. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 19, 2013, 00:02 Domgrief

Creston wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 22:51:
12 was a massive drag though (I KNOW! LET'S MAKE OUR SP RPG LIKE AN MMO, SO THAT PLAYERS HAVE TO GRIND MOBS TO HOPE FOR THAT 0.000004% DROP RATE FOR AN ITEM THEY'LL NEED TO MAKE SOMETHING COOL! WOOOO!)

This.

The other big let-down for me with FF12 was the characters.

The story was epic enough, but most of the characters were completely one-dimensional, and the only ones who did anything emotionally interesting as the story unfolded (like Gabranth or Reddas) were so peripheral that it was hard to care.

4. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 18, 2013, 22:57 Alamar

FF died for me with their MMO launch...

I should have done more research (and/or waited)... But I went out near/on launch, played for an hour (maybe it was two), saw the amount of grind that quickly, and threw it out (can't refund MMO's)... Their abso-freaking-lutely stupid one character slot across all servers, with transfers being a huge pain in the ass, didn't help their case...

-Alamar

3. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 18, 2013, 22:51 Creston

I actually thought FFX was the best since FF3, even though it was terrifyingly linear. I just really loved the setting, the story, the characters. It all clicked for me.

12 was a massive drag though (I KNOW! LET'S MAKE OUR SP RPG LIKE AN MMO, SO THAT PLAYERS HAVE TO GRIND MOBS TO HOPE FOR THAT 0.000004% DROP RATE FOR AN ITEM THEY'LL NEED TO MAKE SOMETHING COOL! WOOOO!) and I've yet to play 13, though I have to admit that I like the look of Lightning Returns. I'm holding off on it though until I know for sure that you can actually SAVE the world you're playing in, or if it's always doomed after 13 days.

Creston

2. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 18, 2013, 22:03 Cram

jdreyer wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 21:51:
Hasn't FF been dying for a decade or so?

Sales wise, nope. I think how a lot of us have defined Final Fantasy for 25 years, that definition or thought of what Final Fantasy should be is dying. I loved FF1 - FF9, and it all started coming completely apart for me with FFX, a little of a decade ago and has never been the same.

1. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 18, 2013, 21:51 jdreyer

Hasn't FF been dying for a decade or so?  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo