Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Into the Black

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Into the Black Jan 19, 2013, 18:33 Dmitri_M

Cutter wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 22:28:
Now it's all tripe.

Television post 2000 has been great. It's replaced Hollywood films as my media of choice.

It's declined a bit now with series like Deadwood, The Wire, The Shield, The Sopranos and a host of others ending their runs but honestly if you think television from the 90s or 80s was better than the past 10 years then you truly are a troll. Or perhaps your mouth is so big you think we want to hear your opinion on everything even shit you know nothing about.

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2013, 18:39.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Into the Black Jan 19, 2013, 16:13 PHJF

I'll just leave this here...  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

8. Re: Into the Black Jan 19, 2013, 14:48 Dades

shihonage wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 00:29:
I watched 3 seasons of The Wire, and couldn't stand it anymore after that. The sedated pacing makes Downton Abbey seem like an action blockbuster. Literally nothing happens for half a season.

It's not an action series. Plenty of things happen, they just don't hit you in the face with everything. The whole point is drawn out pacing, subtlety, character relationship webs and depth to build to a strong conclusion. It is strongly based on the observations of a Baltimore crime reporter so it is more akin to the mundane happenings of real life where bureaucracy and circumstance often prevent people from affecting real change. It's not for everyone but saying nothing happens makes you seem like one of those modern day conditioned procedural viewers who wants a climax every 43 minutes. It was an extremely nontraditional show airing on a cable network.

Like "Scarface", "The Wire" is one of those things people mention for some kind of mythical streed cred, which resulted in it being wildly overhyped.

Maybe people just like something and don't give a shit if you're impressed or not. By the way Oz went batshit insane after the third season but I kept watching because it was unique television and I didn't care if too many ridiculous things kept happening.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

7. Re: Into the Black Jan 19, 2013, 11:25 Dmitri_M

I use dislike of The Wire as a yardstick for whether someone is a man or a monkey.  

6. Re: Into the Black Jan 19, 2013, 00:29 shihonage

I watched 3 seasons of The Wire, and couldn't stand it anymore after that. The sedated pacing makes Downton Abbey seem like an action blockbuster. Literally nothing happens for half a season.

Like "Scarface", "The Wire" is one of those things people mention for some kind of mythical streed cred, which resulted in it being wildly overhyped.

"Oz" was about ten times better than "The Wire", for instance.

5. Re: Into the Black Jan 18, 2013, 23:20 jdreyer

Honestly, cop dramas aren't my bag either. I have never watched them regularly (well maybe Cagney and Lacy with my mom as a kid). I've never seen an episode of CSI or NCIS (not having had cable since probably 2001 doesn't help).

But I kept listening to film podcasts that kept dropping the name of the show. And it was from HBO, so no self-censorship for language and I'd enjoyed the first couple of seasons of the Sopranos, so I rented the first season of The Wire and got hooked.

And I was blown away. No TV show I've ever seen has had the kind of depth of characters and stories this show has. It's unlike anything I've ever seen. It feels so real. There's no black and white, only gray in this show, but not because the plot demands it or the writers shoehorned it it, but because it feels like the actions the characters take are their actions based on their personalities with all the nuance and consequences that entails.

But don't take my word for it. On IMDB, only Planet Earth and Band of Brothers are rated higher by site users (84,000 voters). If you enjoy intelligent TV, it doesn't get better than this.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

4. Re: Into the Black Jan 18, 2013, 23:03 Sepharo

The Wire isn't like the CSI/NCIS crap. I've never been a fan of any cop drama show before but I'm a huge fan of The Wire. Started watching it back in July and I'm now two episodes into the final season (5).

It's as much about the "bad guys" as it is the good, and at times I've got to remind myself it's fiction and not a documentary. Very well written and acted but most HBO stuff is.

This comment was edited on Jan 18, 2013, 23:09.

3. Re: Into the Black Jan 18, 2013, 22:40 nin

Didn't know him, but going at 52 is scary as fuck...my condolences.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

2. Re: Into the Black Jan 18, 2013, 22:28 Cutter

No, I don't feel you. Then again I've never seen it. I've heard of it but that sort of thing isn't my bag, baby. The last good cop drama show I ever watched with any regularity was Hill Street Blues. I can't stand all this CSI, NCIS, crap. In fact, I'm sick to death that every fucking TV show these days is either about cops, lawyers, and doctors. Like there's nothing else interesting to create?

That's why I loved 70's TV with social stuff like All in the Family, Kung Fu, etc. In the 80's there was interesting off the wall stuff like Northern Exposure. Now it's all tripe.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

1. Re: Into the Black Jan 18, 2013, 22:03 jdreyer

RIP, Prop Joe.

The Wire is simply the greatest (crime) drama serial ever made. Period. You feel me?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo