Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers

The AMD Support Hub now offers new version 13.1 WHQL-certified reference drivers for AMD/ATI graphics cards. These offer new a 3D settings and profile management user interface, all the performance improvements and bug fixes introduced in the Catalyst 12.11 beta 11 along with Ubuntu 12.10 production support. They also offer a new standalone un-installation utility that will remove all traces of an existing Catalyst installation, since graphics card drivers can be difficult about things like that. All the downloads are neatly grouped on this page.

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Jan 19, 2013, 16:09 Slick

people are missing that a 7970 is now VASTLY superior in performance compared with a 680 playing BF3.

the last driver update gave a 25% performance boost, and so did this one. if they're compounded that's more than 50%.

I now run BF3 at all ultra settings, HBAO etc. (just no AA) at 1920x1080 and i rarely dip below 120fps which is great for my 120hz monitor.

I used to have to run everything on low to achieve these desired framerates, and that was equal to the 680's performance +/- a few frames.

i don't know if nvidia has made similar gains, but it's the same old story, the ATI drivers are immature at launch, but still ATI's flagship card roughly equals the Nvidia flagship, then a year later the ATI card is smoking the old nvidia part cause the drivers have caught up, but by then "nobody cares" because everyone's talking about the next gen.

seriously, the 7970 is SMOKING bf3 at the moment, i'm so glad i made the right purchase decision, i can also overclock from 925 to 1125 without even changing any voltage settings or fan settings and it's perfectly stable...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Jan 19, 2013, 08:03 DG

accidental post  

6. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Jan 18, 2013, 18:25 Overon

I read the article on Techreport talking about a new approach in measuring performance in addition to the the average fps, minimum fps, maximum fps approaches.  

5. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Jan 18, 2013, 14:01 Stimpack

Agreed. I've used both ATI and Nvidia throughout the years and I've found Nvidia to be superior in a lot of ways. Still, competition is healthy and serves to our benefit.

That being said, things haven't looked good for ATI/AMD for a while now...

4. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Jan 18, 2013, 14:00 durandal

Yeah, especially now with nVidia shifting more towards Tegra thing...  

3. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Jan 18, 2013, 13:52 Silicon Avatar

I think I'll just wait for the next driver set.

I went Nvidia with a new PC I just built (for someone else) so I'll get to see how they compare in person.

It'll be really sad if ATI/AMD goes down though. The Nvidia will end up the only game in town and they will suck within a year.

2. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Jan 18, 2013, 13:32 Dev

BTW, my understanding is that these offer improvements on smoothing out frames for several games. At least thats what I got from the earlier link on blues yesterday.
ATI finally got around to understanding that there's a reason why their cards (especially multicard setups) always feel less smooth than nvidia. It took some sites doing huge amounts of research and work to demonstrate a large number of frames hanging around too long on ATI cards.
link to info

Not surprising given that
a) ATI has gotten rid of a huge amount of their driver team
b) ATI is demonstrating... again... why they continue to be behind nvidia in drivers (nvidia has been working on improving frame latencies for years).

Edit: Looks like its 13.2 beta that has those fixes.

1. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Jan 18, 2013, 08:22 DG

Not sure whether to install these on a 6950, given the "improvements" will be for the 7900 range and often performance actually goes backwards on older hardware.  

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo