Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 18, 2013, 19:58 jdreyer

NegaDeath wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 17:42:
Honestly I'm looking forward to the Oculus Rift way more than either console, bigger more expensive graphics just don't have the thrill they used to. WiiU might be the only one I end up trying depending how creative developers get with the controller.

I bet MS buys the Oculus Rift tech from the inventor for $15m and makes it an XBox exclusive.

Snark aside, I think the OR has more potential to be a runaway hit than either console. It's innovative, whereas those are iterative. This is the kind of "killer app" that can drive PC gaming sales.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 18, 2013, 19:49 jdreyer

4 GB of RAM seems short sighted on Sony's part. What's the point of having the better graphics proc if you don't have the mem to hold the textures? Also, 4GB RAM is the rec spec for games being released NOW. If they're expecting this console to have a 10 year cycle, 8MB give you so much more room to grow.

Also, the difference between the GPUs won't make much difference in game graphics. Devs will just code for the XBox power envelope as the LCD, and it will basically look the same on the PS.

I hope that MS really takes the RRoD lesson to heart and implements proper cooling in their console this time. That might also explain why they're going with a midrange GPU instead of a high-end one.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 18, 2013, 19:03 Mordecai Walfish

Sony just sold their NY headquarters for 1.1 billion..

surely they can afford a couple bucks for 8gb total ram in the PS4. MAKE IT HAPPEN SONY

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 18, 2013, 18:40 DangerDog

NegaDeath wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 17:42:
Honestly I'm looking forward to the Oculus Rift way more than either console, bigger more expensive graphics just don't have the thrill they used to. WiiU might be the only one I end up trying depending how creative developers get with the controller.

developers getting creative?

http://i.imgur.com/ZMuXW.gif

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 18, 2013, 17:42 NegaDeath

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 18, 2013, 15:33 eunichron

Yeah, I recently realized I was only using my PS3 or 360 to watch DVDs and Netflix. I ended up selling them both on Ebay and using the money to buy a WD Live TV Hub and a decent blu-ray player, and still had cash leftover.

I'll be skipping this round entirely.

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 18, 2013, 14:54 Creston

Verno wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 14:00:
The PS3 was going to be a mesh networking device where idle power of online systems would be harnessed for active devices graphics processing. That was some amusing wankery.

Yeah that was some solid comedy. I remember that toadstool saying something like that your fridge would have a Cell chip in it, and the PS3 could use it to help with processing stuff. Apparently in his world the latency between transferring data from one chip to another doesn't exist. Maybe he was thinking about onLive before the onLive guy did? After all, onLive also completely did away with latency...

I think the funniest thing he said though was the whole "Well, yes, it's very expensive, but we think people will want to work harder because they want a PS3."

Apparently being expensive was a good thing, because it made all those lazy, good-for-shit workers everywhere in the world WORK A LITTLE FUCKING HARDER.

Oh, Sony. Don't ever change. Or if you do change, at least keep smoking the building asbestos as you were, because it leads to some terrific sound bites.

As for the specs, the Xbox specs seem pretty decent. HD8770 with 8 Gig is a reasonable gaming PC. Sad that the PS4 will only get 4 Gig, but then again, most games don't use more than 3 Gig anyway, so I'm not sure it will make that much of a difference.

Anyway, unless something amazing comes out on either one of them (like Red Dead Redemption II), I'm not buying.

Creston

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 18, 2013, 14:02 Beamer

Verno wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 14:00:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 13:13:
They'll both release "this is what we wish our games looked and played like" pre-rendered videos and once again consumers will be duped into thinking that they'll get that experience.

More recently, I remember the E3 shit for Kinect, god damn that was hilarious. The faked lightsaber demo was comedy gold.

Also Sony had some absolutely hilarious pre-launch claims. The PS3 was going to be a mesh networking device where idle power of online systems would be harnessed for active devices graphics processing. That was some amusing wankery.

That whole IllumiRoom is almost definitely another example of this type of thing.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 18, 2013, 14:00 Verno

They'll both release "this is what we wish our games looked and played like" pre-rendered videos and once again consumers will be duped into thinking that they'll get that experience.

More recently, I remember the E3 shit for Kinect, god damn that was hilarious. The faked lightsaber demo was comedy gold.

Also Sony had some absolutely hilarious pre-launch claims. The PS3 was going to be a mesh networking device where idle power of online systems would be harnessed for active devices graphics processing. That was some amusing wankery.

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 18, 2013, 13:15 ASeven

Even today they keep pulling this crap. Far Cry 3 E3 videos, BF3 videos up to the game's release, etc. And people still fall for it time and time again.

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 18, 2013, 13:13 DangerDog

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 18, 2013, 13:12 ASeven

Verno wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 12:55:
ASeven wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 12:29:
MS and Sony are going to lose a load of money with the sales of the hardware with those specs if they are true. If they price the consoles low they will take a massive cost hit per console unlike anything seen till today, not even the PS3 and Xbox360 took such a massive margin. If they price the consoles higher the demand will drop too much.

I'm starting to see a lose-lose scenario.

That's assuming they sell below cost (likely $300ish), it's quite possible they won't. I doubt we'll see a $700 PS again but $400-500 consoles is possible. Assuming I get a console at all next gen, it'll be Sony all the way. Microsoft started out the console gen with a lot of interesting exclusives and providing a lot of value for Live but ended it on a really poor note with adspam, huge areas of Live neglected and few exclusives. Sony had a much rougher start but continued improving despite some noticeable stumbles and their exclusive library was really diverse and interesting, they funded a lot of cool first party titles especially.

True enough but with such specs which are rather beefy I do wonder if the costs will be that low at all. No doubt they had a nice deal with AMD but I wouldn't be surprised if the costs of this new console were at least 1.5x more expensive than this generation.

Also, I keep saying this, this new generation won't be the jump in graphical fidelity that the past generation jumps were, the changes won't be that drastic as the PS1 to PS2 changes were, or even PS2 to PS3. This is going to serve as a cooling effect for the demand, especially if the new consoles have some sort of anti-used game DRM as it was rumored. Knowing how hardware and publishers want more and more control though it wouldn't be a surprise if the new consoles had some sort of anti-used game DRM in place.

And if the WiiU sales are any indication on how the next generation of consoles is going to be received, well, it simply doesn't look good. The Wii was a good reflection on how this generation of consoles sold, in massive numbers, and now I wonder if the WiiU will also be a good reflection on how the sales of the next gen of consoles will be.

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 18, 2013, 13:11 Verno

theglaze wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 12:59:
Optional nickname wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 10:50:
does anyone have some change , a couple of dollars to spare, to throw in another 8GB of RAM into the upcoming PS4?

Someone should start a Kickstarter.

I thought the limited amount of RAM on the PS3 had become the biggest gripe for developers?

Most developers have been used to working with between 256-512M of usable RAM so 3GB on either console will have them doing cart wheels, I don't think it will be a big deal until late into the new console cycle. The PS3 had a really unique architecture in general and it presented a lot of porting problems for devs this gen, it's going to be a much more generic design for the PS4 as Sony really needs third party support, they can't keep dumping as much money into first party titles like they did last gen since costs are so high.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 18, 2013, 12:59 theglaze

Optional nickname wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 10:50:
does anyone have some change , a couple of dollars to spare, to throw in another 8GB of RAM into the upcoming PS4?

Someone should start a Kickstarter.

I thought the limited amount of RAM on the PS3 had become the biggest gripe for developers?

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 18, 2013, 12:55 Verno

MS and Sony are going to lose a load of money with the sales of the hardware with those specs if they are true. If they price the consoles low they will take a massive cost hit per console unlike anything seen till today, not even the PS3 and Xbox360 took such a massive margin. If they price the consoles higher the demand will drop too much.

That's assuming they sell below cost (likely $300ish), it's quite possible they won't. I doubt we'll see a $700 PS again but $400-500 consoles is possible. Assuming I get a console at all next gen, it'll be Sony all the way. Microsoft started out the console gen with a lot of interesting exclusives and providing a lot of value for Live but ended it on a really poor note with adspam, huge areas of Live neglected and few exclusives. Sony had a much rougher start but continued improving despite some noticeable stumbles and their exclusive library was really diverse and interesting, they funded a lot of cool first party titles especially.

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 18, 2013, 12:55 nimeq

MS and Sony are going to lose a load of money with the sales of the hardware with those specs if they are true.

How so? That puts it in the range of Radeon HD 7770 or GeForce GTX 650 Ti. This is pretty much in line with their rumored Radeon HD 8770 on the XBox.

It would make sense if they both targeted a 300-500 usd mark. Considering the volume, I imagine AMD has given them very good deals.

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 18, 2013, 12:51 Beamer

You see everything as a lose-lose scenario, though.

You're about as optimistic about anything as Cutter is, and that guy hates everything not yet released!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 18, 2013, 12:29 ASeven

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 18, 2013, 10:50 Optional nickname

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo