Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy Internet Freedom Day. Thanks GamePolitics. And thanks Internet.

Well, with three more games left in the NFL season I have no chance of getting even in the playoffs. A perfect run from here on out would just even me up for a 1-3 week last week, but what can you do? Yes, pick better, I know. Speaking of picking better, almost everyone else faired better than I. Here are last week's results: Verno, Topevoli, sauron, and Creston 3-1; dj LiTh, Jivaro, Cutter, and Batman 2-2; and mag was also 1-3.

This week: Patriots and 49ers.

Free Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Westerado.
Dr. Vile: The Greater Good.
Stories: Rumors Of "Gremlins" Being Rebooted.
Clash guitarist [sic] Joe Strummer honored with plaza in Spain. Thanks Walter Ego.
Te'o mentioned 'girlfriend' twice recently.
Science: Tiny pill joins the battle of the bushfires. Thanks Slashdot.
Armstrong admits doping- 'I'm a flawed character'.
Media: How The Hobbit Should Have Ended.
Portal's "Still Alive", Performed By Guild Wars 2.
Skyrim Moving Company.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2013, 04:34 Sepharo

Harbaugh v. Harbaugh  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2013, 02:43 Stolk

Falcons Ravens.  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2013, 15:54 Hoop

I've read sociopathic tendencies tend to mellow & dissipate from around 45 onward, if you want to see a real time example of this watch the Armstrong interviews. The guy is turnned inside out & at times a little exilerated by what must be completely new to him, experiencing & dealing with genuine emotions. From that stand point it was a fascinating interview, I give him credit for being as open as he was & I'm no great fan of Oprah either but she stayed on point.
We have all been abusive to other people in our lives & quickly regretted it, maybe even searched the person out to apologise.
But imagine not having the capacity for regret & only despising people that showed emotion, imagine with age & the pressure of events you begin to feel compassion toward others for the first time. Man thats gotta be humbling, the eyes don't lie & that guy has come face to face with himself on a profound level. Damage to his past relationships & the sport of cycling aside I genuinely wish him well in discovering a full emotional life with those that stay around.

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2013, 22:11.

Um .. Behind you...

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2013, 20:11 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 15:06:
I don't know that it's necessary to toss out Ortiz, she did offer a 6 month plea deal, which is reasonable under the law. The problem is the law itself, so thanks, nin, for posting that.

I'd imagine it'd be far worse if he would have had to deal with Judge Dredd. 35 years in an iso-cube or worse!

"Judge Dredd: Negotiation's over. Sentence is death."

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2013, 16:44 Julio

I wasn't one of those who bought into Lance's lies, it was pretty obvious that he was a scam artist from day one. All that money wasted on 'Cancer Awareness', nothing towards an actual cure.

Bet he's got lots of cash socked away somewhere.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2013, 16:18 dj LiTh

ravens 9ers for me  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2013, 15:06 jdreyer

nin wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 09:10:
InBlack wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 09:00:
Internet freedom day, so yeah Im gonna leave this right here:

Aaron Swartz

Im not a US citizen so I cant sign, but I urge those who are to do so.

Here we go.

I don't know that it's necessary to toss out Ortiz, she did offer a 6 month plea deal, which is reasonable under the law. The problem is the law itself, so thanks, nin, for posting that.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2013, 14:47 Creston

Armstrong is a miserable piece of shit, and his admission last night actually made me feel kinda smug towards several of my (American) friends, because I've always said that Armstrong doped, and they always said that he didn't.

I hope every one of those people that he threw under the bus sues his ass for every penny he's got. And then I the governments of the countries where he sued for libel (the UK for one, and I think he did it here in the US too?) go after him for lying on the stand.
However, even so, I doubt that he'd ever go to jail, and I'm not sure that I feel that he deserves to. As long as he loses every penny he owns repaying those people whose lives he fucked up, and is banned from competing in professional sports for the rest of his life, I think he'll be punished badly enough.

Creston

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2013, 13:52 Cutter

1. Pats & 49ers.

2. Armstrong is a prick who should go to prison. The asshole has sued people and destroyed careers of people who claimed he was cheating. Now this shit with the charity? All in all everyone who relates a personal anecdote about the guy seem to agree he's the world's biggest asshole.

3. Aaron Swartz broke the law. Period. Depression is not a 'get-out-of-prosecution-free' card. You break the law, expect shit to go down. The guy was suicidal long before this anyway and it's not like he didn't have tons of options all around, so no, I have zero sympathy for the guy.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2013, 13:14 Verno

Creston wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 11:39:
Since everyone is going Pats, I'm going to go with the Ravens. Realistically NE is a much stronger team than the Ravens, but I dunno, the Ravens have OWNED the Patriots the last two times they faced each other in the playoffs, and if the Ravens D blitzes the fuck out of Brady (and Flacco can overcome the early 21 point barrage it will lead to), they can hit him enough to where he becomes skittish and starts watching the linemen rather than his receivers.

That's how the Giants and the Ravens have both beaten the Pats twice. I'd like to think Harbaugh knows this.

As for the Falcons, yeah, shitting the bed at home and nearly blowing the game doesn't give me much confidence you're going to beat a fantastic-looking 49'ers team on the road.

So, Ravens - 49'ers.

Creston

Yeah looking at their history I keep wanting to change my pick to the Ravens before its too late but I don't know, Brady is just so good in the playoffs, I have to stick to the Pats.

Atlanta had a good season but a lot of it was luck, hope and a prayer, I just don't see them presenting any challenge to SF.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2013, 11:48 nin

Creston wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 11:35:
nin wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 11:00:
Yo, Creston - TNG s2 is on sale.

Oh, that's tempting.... Thanks!!

Creston

I'm about halfway through season 2 and while I recognize the complaints (some of the planet shots don't look as good as s1, film stock changing for s2, producing more grain) none of it is horrible (that I've seen) and it's still a nice upgrade over SD.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2013, 11:39 Creston

Since everyone is going Pats, I'm going to go with the Ravens. Realistically NE is a much stronger team than the Ravens, but I dunno, the Ravens have OWNED the Patriots the last two times they faced each other in the playoffs, and if the Ravens D blitzes the fuck out of Brady (and Flacco can overcome the early 21 point barrage it will lead to), they can hit him enough to where he becomes skittish and starts watching the linemen rather than his receivers.

That's how the Giants and the Ravens have both beaten the Pats twice. I'd like to think Harbaugh knows this.

As for the Falcons, yeah, shitting the bed at home and nearly blowing the game doesn't give me much confidence you're going to beat a fantastic-looking 49'ers team on the road.

So, Ravens - 49'ers.

Creston

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2013, 11:35 Creston

nin wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 11:00:

Oh, that's tempting.... Thanks!!

Creston

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2013, 11:00 nin

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2013, 10:28 Jivaro

Pats and 49ers as well.

If that does come to pass my household is going to be both overjoyed...and a bit tense. My wife is a die-hard Pats fan, and I am a life long 49ers fan. It probably didn't help that I was....err....less then humble...when the 49ers beat the Pats earlier this season.

Good time to be a football fan though, all the way around. Good games so far, these look like good matchups, and even if the Falcons and Ravens go to the Super Bowl I would still expect a good game.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2013, 09:41 sauron

On a football-related theme, this is the best Penny Arcade I've seen in some time:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic

Kittens!

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2013, 09:27 xXBatmanXx

sauron wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 08:24:
Wow, early update is early!

I'll also go for the Pats and Niners this week. Would set up a great Superbowl!

yup pats niners.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2013, 09:10 nin

InBlack wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 09:00:

Aaron Swartz

Here we go.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2013, 09:00 InBlack

Aaron Swartz

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2013, 08:57 Verno

I really want to pick the Ravens but it just doesn't seem likely given how strong a team NE is overall. I feel like I should be picking the Falcons since they had consistent good luck this year but the 49ers are all about ending lucky streaks.

49ers and Patriots.

After this week, I'm so sick of this guy

Finally something I can agree with nin on. I didn't care about cycling before Lance Armstrong, I didn't care during Lance Armstrong and I don't care about cycling or Lance after all of this bullshit. He's a lying psychopath, the world is full of them. He got to make a hundred million and he's going to hide most of it in offshore assets that no one will unearth at the expense of looking over his shoulder for the rest of his life and being hated the world over.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo