Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More on CD Projekt RED's Upcoming Announcement

This trailer from CD Projekt RED features pen-and-paper RPG creator Mike Poundsmith explaining the underpinnings of the RPG system in Cyberpunk 2077, the upcoming computer RPG. There's also an extensive feature here on the making of the recent teaser trailer for the game. Speaking of which, we have more from CD Projekt RED studio head Adam Badowski on the hidden tease for a February 5th announcement, which many think will be related to The Witcher series:

Many gaming fans noticed the hidden message in one frame of the teaser trailer. ďAs you may know, Cyberpunk 2077 isnít the only title we are working on. Those of you who watched the teaser trailer carefully know that something big is coming on the 5th of February. Everything will be clearer on that day. Right now I can only say that, for the first time in the history of our studio, it will be a fully open-world game (just like Cyberpunk will be). We also remember our gamesí trademark engrossing and non-linear storytelling. In the studio, the strong bond of these two elements - an open world and a captivating tale - is what everyone is trying to achieve. Both Cyberpunk 2077 and the second game draw upon these two pillars to bring our vision of a perfect RPG to life,Ē comments Badowski

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: More on CD Projekt RED's Upcoming Announcement Jan 19, 2013, 16:42 Mordecai Walfish

this looks great! bring it ON, CDPR!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: More on CD Projekt RED's Upcoming Announcement Jan 19, 2013, 01:53 dj LiTh

nin wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 10:34:
It wouldn't be called the Witcher if you were a prostitute (interesting RPG concept though)

"The Hooker"!

I thought the Hooker was a subclass of The Prostitute

23. Re: More on CD Projekt RED's Upcoming Announcement Jan 18, 2013, 19:34 Flatline

InBlack wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 10:01:
I get what youre saying, but it just didnt work for me. You are the Witcher, which is kind of cool, but why cant I be a Paladin? Or a Mage? Or a Prostitute?

Err... because it'd be impossible to write a story that took all of those roles into account?

In a more specific sense, if you played anything other than a Witcher, the game would be incredibly boring and bland. It's a pretty generic fantasy setting with a few really cool twists (I've read the books). Without the Witcher's "unique" perspective and twist on legends, the setting is more or less literally "stereotypical fantasy setting".

Besides, most cRPGs don't even do what you're asking. Yeah sure you can play paladin or thief or epic cock gobbler, but in the end you're swapping one set of skills out for another. You're still The Hero, or The Chosen One, or The Badass. Picking courtesan doesn't alter the story into one of political intrigue, manipulation, and sex, it just means you have charm spells and maybe some special dialog that lets you act saucy and alluring.

Dragon Age actually came sort of close, but that was only the first hour or so of the origin story. After that, it dumped you into the main "Grey Warden" storyline and only occasionally had a reaction to your origin.

22. Re: More on CD Projekt RED's Upcoming Announcement Jan 18, 2013, 15:02 Creston

sauron wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 22:42:
Wait what? How can I play this when I haven't even started The Witcher 2 yet? Or Deus Ex? Or Skyrim? OMG

You are a bad person! How have you not played Deus Ex yet? Shame on you, Sir. SHAME, I say!

As for open-world CD Projekt game: Yes, please.

Creston

21. Re: More on CD Projekt RED's Upcoming Announcement Jan 18, 2013, 10:34 nin

It wouldn't be called the Witcher if you were a prostitute (interesting RPG concept though)

"The Hooker"!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

20. Re: More on CD Projekt RED's Upcoming Announcement Jan 18, 2013, 10:28 Raptor

I understand your point, but it just wasn't an issue or even a thought for me.
In Fallout you still are the chosen one even if you randomise your skills and act like a wuss in every dialogue option.
I'd describe it as an action RPG since combat was a big part of it, but it's definitely a full blown RPG, maybe just not by regular RPG standards of creating your own character, since that's the only thing imho that separated it from that.

And between the first and the second game it's an amazing franchise from one of the best developers around.
The branching of the storyline for example already deserves a big nod, so I'd definitely recommend giving it another shot, maybe start with the second one even as it's newer and more refined in that regard.

19. Re: More on CD Projekt RED's Upcoming Announcement Jan 18, 2013, 10:01 InBlack

Raptor wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 08:51:
InBlack wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 03:47:
I dunno, something about the Witcher series turns me off. I couldnt get into the first one, and I really did try. I think what really bothered me was that I was playing a "specific" character, with "specific" skills. It didnt feel like a real CRPG, more like a glorified action adventure game, sort of like Lara Croft only with less boobs....

For me on the other hand it was hard to understand this comment since it had a strong character, a skill tree and a ton of RPG elements.
Just because you can't make your own random looking dwarf with a funny hat doesn't make me think of a game with that gameplay as less of an RPG.
It actually strenghtened the game is it had a very unique lore, characters, a strong story and a very mature theme.

In fact I have problems getting into the usual D&D games because they feel all the same due to essentially the same magic, weapon, character and lore concept.

I get what youre saying, but it just didnt work for me. You are the Witcher, which is kind of cool, but why cant I be a Paladin? Or a Mage? Or a Prostitute? Its weird because I really liked Mass Effect for example. Or at least I really liked Mass Effect 2, and that had a shitload of really crappy RPG elements. But I liked it as an action game. The Witcher on the other hand gave me too many options for an action game, and not enough for a full blow RPG. Do you get what Im saying here? It got stuck in between which was fine for most people I guess, not for me...eh....

I have a nifty blue line!

18. Re: More on CD Projekt RED's Upcoming Announcement Jan 18, 2013, 08:51 Raptor

InBlack wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 03:47:
I dunno, something about the Witcher series turns me off. I couldnt get into the first one, and I really did try. I think what really bothered me was that I was playing a "specific" character, with "specific" skills. It didnt feel like a real CRPG, more like a glorified action adventure game, sort of like Lara Croft only with less boobs....

For me on the other hand it was hard to understand this comment since it had a strong character, a skill tree and a ton of RPG elements.
Just because you can't make your own random looking dwarf with a funny hat doesn't make me think of a game with that gameplay as less of an RPG.
It actually strenghtened the game is it had a very unique lore, characters, a strong story and a very mature theme.

In fact I have problems getting into the usual D&D games because they feel all the same due to essentially the same magic, weapon, character and lore concept.

17. Re: More on CD Projekt RED's Upcoming Announcement Jan 18, 2013, 08:32 InBlack

Sho wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 07:49:
Funny, lack of boobs isn't really a description easily leveled against the franchise ...

Well yeah, I should have used a better example. I meant Geralt's lack of boobs....oh fuck it...

16. Re: More on CD Projekt RED's Upcoming Announcement Jan 18, 2013, 07:49 Sho

Funny, lack of boobs isn't really a description easily leveled against the franchise ...  

15. Re: More on CD Projekt RED's Upcoming Announcement Jan 18, 2013, 03:47 InBlack

14. Re: More on CD Projekt RED's Upcoming Announcement Jan 18, 2013, 02:20 Cutter

Techie714 © wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 22:41:
Cutter wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 22:33:
Just make the effin announcement already. I so hate this announcing a pending announcement crap.

LOL, when I read this I thought "Man Cutter is going to be all crabby about this announcement of the announcement...LOL"

The problem when you overhype shit is it generally becomes a major letdown. I'm a firm believer of keeping expectations low and delivering something that knocks people's socks off. Nothing beats word of mouth advertising. It's not like I'm the only one around here that feels that way. Countdowns to announcements, announcing there's an announcement, it's just an asinine way for marketing douchebags to justify a salary. Fire them and put the money back into the game. If it's great it'll sell itself.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

13. Re: More on CD Projekt RED's Upcoming Announcement Jan 18, 2013, 01:54 dj LiTh

jdreyer wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 01:43:
dj LiTh wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 01:03:
Wait...that girl is real and they just 3d Scanned her? I think i'm in love...
It's all fun and games until she sticks those knife arms thru you.

Ya, wouldnt be the first time

12. Re: More on CD Projekt RED's Upcoming Announcement Jan 18, 2013, 01:43 jdreyer

dj LiTh wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 01:03:
It's all fun and games until she sticks those knife arms thru you.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

11. Re: More on CD Projekt RED's Upcoming Announcement Jan 18, 2013, 01:03 dj LiTh

This comment was edited on Jan 18, 2013, 01:34.

10. Re: More on CD Projekt RED's Upcoming Announcement Jan 18, 2013, 00:55 dj LiTh

Finally competition for Elder SCrolls?  

9. Re: More on CD Projekt RED's Upcoming Announcement Jan 17, 2013, 23:06 nin

sauron wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 22:42:
Wait what? How can I play this when I haven't even started The Witcher 2 yet? Or Deus Ex? Or Skyrim? OMG

I need to find more spare time - may need to fake my own death. How to do that? Well, there is this old ring, and those elves and hobbits will believe any old rumor. Hmm...

Dude, it's DX time. Get crackin...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

8. Re: More on CD Projekt RED's Upcoming Announcement Jan 17, 2013, 22:42 sauron

I need to find more spare time - may need to fake my own death. How to do that? Well, there is this old ring, and those elves and hobbits will believe any old rumor. Hmm...

Kittens!

7. Re: More on CD Projekt RED's Upcoming Announcement Jan 17, 2013, 22:41 Techie714 ©

Cutter wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 22:33:
Just make the effin announcement already. I so hate this announcing a pending announcement crap.

LOL, when I read this I thought "Man Cutter is going to be all crabby about this announcement of the announcement...LOL"

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

6. Re: More on CD Projekt RED's Upcoming Announcement Jan 17, 2013, 22:33 Cutter

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo