Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III

The Diablo III Forums have an announcement from Jay Wilson that he is transitioning away from Diablo III to a different project within Blizzard (thanks IncGamers). He expresses pride in the project he's spent seven years on, though he has often served as a lightning rod for fan reactions to the game and how its design departed from previous installments in the action/RPG series. Here's a bit on what this means for the future:

The first thing I want to assure you all is that this will not negatively impact our ongoing support of Diablo III. The game was not made by one person, far from it, and the team that poured their passion and considerable talent into it isn't going anywhere. We have lots of things planned for the future, and those plans will carry forward as normal. I also won't be abandoning the team, and will remain available to them during the transition period while we determine who will take over duties as game director.

To that point, you shouldn't be surprised if you see a job posting for a game director on Diablo III, as we want to make sure we explore every opportunity to find the best possible leadership for the project. We're looking forward to finding this person and hearing what kind of fresh ideas they can bring to the table.

I'm proud of Diablo III, and despite our differences at times I will miss the community that has formed around it. I feel I have made many mistakes in managing that relationship, but my intent was always to provide a great gaming experience, and be as open and receptive as possible, while still sticking true to the vision the Diablo team has for the game.

I know some of you feel we fell short of our promise to release the game "when it's ready." While we're not perfect, we try to make the best decisions we can with the information and knowledge we have at the time. That doesn't mean we always make the right decisions, but if we made a mistake then I feel we've made an exceptional effort to correct it.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

28. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 04:07 Cram

InBlack wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 03:58:
Well who knows, maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel. If anyone can turn this train wreck around its Blizzard. Maybe he got fired BECAUSE Diablo3 is such a huge fucking failure.

For f*cks sakes I'm going to turn into the next Blues Diablo 3 defender/martyr and I don't really want to be here.

Diablo 3 has sold over 10 F**KING MILLION PC Licenses. How in the F**K is that a failure to blame on Blizzard and Jay Wilson?

Edit: I haven't played the game in 6 months, I'm just challenging the opinions people are expressing on this site.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 03:58 InBlack

Well who knows, maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel. If anyone can turn this train wreck around its Blizzard. Maybe he got fired BECAUSE Diablo3 is such a huge fucking failure. Notice that it doesnt say what his new duties will be on the 'next' project, maybe he was demoted to janitor or something.....

....oh well enough of that wishful thinking, the fucker has MMO written all over his goddamn work and thats where they will put him, to ruin a perfectly good game design with childish, moronic storytelling, 'grind' and reward 'treadmiling'....

So yeah, fuck that loser...

I have a nifty blue line!

26. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 03:15 Paketep

Let me add myself to the "fuck that loser" chorus.

And if Morhaine and Pardo went out the door, perhaps there could be a tiny bit of hope for Blizzard yet.

No, wait. They're still Kotick's bitches.

25. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 03:05 Prez

Snapdad wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 01:10:
Creston wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 23:08:
Fuck that loser, etc.

Bye, asshole! Thanks for fucking up what was maybe PC gaming's greatest franchise!

Creston

What games have you made, asshole?

Oh, that's right, zero.

I guess you have that going for you.
You've fucked up zero franchises (in your mind).

Wish you could say goodbye, etc.

"You've never made a game so you can't have an opinion!" logic always has been and always will be absolutely asinine.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

24. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 02:30 Cutter

El Pit wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 01:34:
He's moving on to helm CDRP's cyberpunk project to introduce a rmah (and make it the core and center of the whole game) and always-online "protection".

WHOAH, no wait, that was just a nightmare. *sighs*

Pit don't even joke about that man!

Backstab

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

23. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 02:28 Cutter

Snapdad wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 01:10:
Fuck that loser, etc.

Bye, asshole! Thanks for fucking up what was maybe PC gaming's greatest franchise!

Creston

Oh, that's right, zero.

Take the trolling elsewhere sport. The criticisms are perfectly valid. If no one ever complained about things nothing would improve. Eve complain when your car breaks down? Ever built a car? No? Than shut up. Derp!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

22. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 01:56 Cram

This may not be a popular opinion on this site.

Jay Wilson NEVER had a chance in hell. Blizz/Acti was in full force and the head honcho's had one thing on their mind, money. The genre was nearly desolate for years. With each year, the panic for a sequel grew, but at the same time the genre grew more obsolete. Titan Quest (a fantastic game) provided a buffer, but nothing more.

I really don't see how anything could have succeeded Diablo 2, except an exact remake of Diablo 2 with prettier graphics. Interestingly, that's exactly what a lot of D3 haters want but I propose if they had made Diablo 2.5, an equal amount of people would challenged the game saying "this is all you could come up with in 10 years, Diablo 2 on roids?"

It was a no win situation. The sequel was LITERALLY 7 years too late. It should have been out 2004-2005 if they wanted to continue Diablo's momentum. Jay didn't have a chance, but I'll conclude saying he should have been fired for what happened involving Brevik. He should not be with the company anymore on that incident alone and only that incident.

21. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 01:34 El Pit

He's moving on to helm CDRP's cyberpunk project to introduce a rmah (and make it the core and center of the whole game) and always-online "protection".

WHOAH, no wait, that was just a nightmare. *sighs*

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

20. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 01:10 Snapdad

Fuck that loser, etc.

Creston

Oh, that's right, zero.

19. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 01:00 dj LiTh

This would be better news if he was getting fired.  

18. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 00:02 ShakaUVM

I'm surprised he still has a job.  

17. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 17, 2013, 23:17 Beelzebud

Fuck that loser.  

16. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 17, 2013, 23:17 Yakubs

How can you say he sounds sincere? This is yet another in a long line of long, wordy non-apologizes that simultaneously cast doubt that he did anything wrong while urgently point out all the things they're doing to address the game's problems, which he just spent time saying may not even exist.

The guy's a fucking douchebag, which is bad but fairly common, but this particular douchebag was in charge of one of the best franchises in gaming history and he totally screwed the pooch.

In another time I would have been sad he's still at Blizzard but I think the whole company is kinda past the point of no return now... so, meh.

15. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 17, 2013, 23:08 Creston

Fuck that loser, etc.

Creston

14. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 17, 2013, 21:34 Krizzen

nin wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 20:45:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 19:58:
How much of Diablo III's decisions were made by Jay? Did he decide to make the AH and make the game more difficult unless you used it? Did he decide to make always-on DRM? Does anyone know?

I'd like to know those as well. I doubt we ever will, though (sadly)...

I'd say a big part of the game director's job is to answer to management and, you know... direct the development of the game. I'd wager he was the link that brought managements AH vision to the developers.

In that respect, I'd say he's responsible. It was his duty, but maybe not his decision.

This comment was edited on Jan 17, 2013, 22:42.

13. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 17, 2013, 21:08 Brumbek

He seems sincere even if D3 was incredibly boring and a massive failure regarding loot, re-playability, and story. I had real fun the first playthrough, apart from the idiotic story.

So I think Jay did a good job with the combat system itself, but Inferno mode literally ruined the play experience. In the end, D3 is dead to me. I've tried playing it again, but it is sheer misery. Slow move speed, garbage drops, and a deep sense of pointlessness.

Contrast with D2, which I enjoy replaying every few years. Or even Borderlands 2 which after over a hundred hours is still great fun (despite its loot drops being low as well).

12. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 17, 2013, 20:45 nin

jdreyer wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 19:58:
How much of Diablo III's decisions were made by Jay? Did he decide to make the AH and make the game more difficult unless you used it? Did he decide to make always-on DRM? Does anyone know?

I'd like to know those as well. I doubt we ever will, though (sadly)...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

11. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 17, 2013, 20:39 shihonage

Do they even have a bloom checkbox in the options yet? Or are we still relegated to third-party driver hacks like DarkD3?

Not that I care anymore. The game is banal-shit-boring, and the only reason it got so many sales is because of Blizzard's PRIOR reputation and momentum.

After Diablo3, this momentum stopped cold. They are now just another greedy game company, nothing more.

10. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 17, 2013, 20:35 Dades

In the words of Jay himself, fuck that loser.

Maybe they can bring Diablo III up to snuff now and he'll go ruin some other franchise. I hear WOW is still liked by people, that's a good candidate.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

9. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 17, 2013, 19:58 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo