Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III

The Diablo III Forums have an announcement from Jay Wilson that he is transitioning away from Diablo III to a different project within Blizzard (thanks IncGamers). He expresses pride in the project he's spent seven years on, though he has often served as a lightning rod for fan reactions to the game and how its design departed from previous installments in the action/RPG series. Here's a bit on what this means for the future:

The first thing I want to assure you all is that this will not negatively impact our ongoing support of Diablo III. The game was not made by one person, far from it, and the team that poured their passion and considerable talent into it isn't going anywhere. We have lots of things planned for the future, and those plans will carry forward as normal. I also won't be abandoning the team, and will remain available to them during the transition period while we determine who will take over duties as game director.

To that point, you shouldn't be surprised if you see a job posting for a game director on Diablo III, as we want to make sure we explore every opportunity to find the best possible leadership for the project. We're looking forward to finding this person and hearing what kind of fresh ideas they can bring to the table.

I'm proud of Diablo III, and despite our differences at times I will miss the community that has formed around it. I feel I have made many mistakes in managing that relationship, but my intent was always to provide a great gaming experience, and be as open and receptive as possible, while still sticking true to the vision the Diablo team has for the game.

I know some of you feel we fell short of our promise to release the game "when it's ready." While we're not perfect, we try to make the best decisions we can with the information and knowledge we have at the time. That doesn't mean we always make the right decisions, but if we made a mistake then I feel we've made an exceptional effort to correct it.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 16:05 Dades

descender wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 15:18:
yadddayadddayadddda

It's not an MMO for fucks sake, it's a loot generator... and what... an extremely basic form of PvP combat? Hack-N-Slash is like the lowest form of game you can spend you time on, barely beating out concepts like Farmville... because you run into a cut-scene once and a while?

The irony is that they couldn't even get that part right.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 15:28 Flatline

descender wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 15:18:
I STILL don't understand the crying about the auction houses. You simply don't have to use them. No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to "ruin your game". Heck, you shouldn't even be tempted to... since the only reason to play the game IN THE FIRST PLACE (or the entire genre basically) is to kill lots of things and randomly generate more loot.

Apparently Hell difficulty spikes so hard that you *have* to resort to the auction hall or get incredibly lucky.

I don't know. I played 20 minutes into nightmare difficulty and realized that the maps weren't randomly generated, and this was EXACTLY the same game I just finished playing, and I uninstalled it and never went back. With zero variety other than "tougher bad guys" I had no interest in the game.

46. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 15:22 Flatline

ASeven wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 18:52:
Fuck that loser.

Done in one.

45. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 15:18 descender

I STILL don't understand the crying about the auction houses. You simply don't have to use them. No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to "ruin your game". Heck, you shouldn't even be tempted to... since the only reason to play the game IN THE FIRST PLACE (or the entire genre basically) is to kill lots of things and randomly generate more loot.

What games in the hack and slash or RNG loot generator genre don't involve "grind and reward treadmiling" as you put it... that you actually play through more than two or three times?

9 months after launch D2 was still a buggy mess to play online, PvP was a giant waste of time... 9 months after D3 launch, people have written it off as the "worst game evar!". 9 months after launch the only reason people still played D2 was because it had no competition.

1 year after D2 launch, your wonderful friends at Blizzard North... who everone seems to revere as gods... patched the Hell and Nightmare difficulties greatly increasing their difficulty. This essentially forced the entire player base to "buy the expansion or die". No greed involved there at all, right?

Back then... People (myself included) spent an entire year killing Mephisto/Diablo, before they finally had something else to do... which basically amounted to Baal runs instead of Diablo runs... when you weren't killing the cow level over and over and over again. $50 spent to run 3 extremely small sections of the game over and over and over again.

Now, for the $60 people paid for D3, it takes... 20 or 30 hours of normal, employed, not-a-teenager time to get through Hell difficulty (maxing at level 60 just before you finish it usually) and starting on Inferno difficulty. At this point you've played 2 to 3 times the "game" you normally pay $60 for... a different diablo experience... and this is a problem? Are all of you complaining that you somehow deserved more gameplay out of the game than that for your money?

It's not an MMO for fucks sake, it's a loot generator... and what... an extremely basic form of PvP combat? Hack-N-Slash is like the lowest form of game you can spend you time on, barely beating out concepts like Farmville... because you run into a cut-scene once and a while?

I don't understand what you all thought this game was going to be. There is no actual longevity to these loot driven RNG games... not a single one of these games since "the first mainstream multiplayer" one has been played for more than a few weeks. 10 years ago when there was nothing else to do... sure, let's play this mindless and never-ending grindfest they call Diablo 2... but how is that even still an entertaining mechanic? Do you really want to play with a slot machine that badly?

Top-down PvP has been played out to death with MOBA style games for the last 6 years... so it can't be that... the puzzles are always of the most basic and most widely repeated forms... What exactly is the appeal to this genre that makes you think you are going to play it for hundreds and hundreds of hours anymore?

44. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 13:32 avianflu

I am just thankful that Blizzard announced the real-money action house "feature" and the mandatory on-line, so that I knew not to buy the game. Thank you Blizzard.  

43. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 09:31 Verno

Cpmartins wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 07:32:
I agree Cram. D3 wasn't a failure as a game. AS A GAME, it did exceptionally well. AS A SEQUEL TO D2, it failed miserably and ostensibly. Also it ruined the franchise, so it FAILED as well to continue the legacy.

Financially, I don't know. 10 years in development, I'd say the 10 mil turned them a profit. How much of a profit? No one outside the highest echelons of blizzard will ever know. I hope it was enough, cause they're done with that.

Financially it was a massive success, at most I'd peg development at 200mil and it made three times that not including the AH stuff which is a nice ongoing revenue stream. I don't really view Diablo 3 as a total failure or something, I think what it failed to do was innovate.

Diablo 2 was a big success because it expanded and innovated, brought new features to the ARPG genre. Diablo 3 didn't really do anything new and interesting, their skill system is arguably worse since there is no permanence of choice and that kills a lot of replay value by itself. It felt a lot more inflexible too, you just have your skills and runes and that's it. No charms, no skulls, no diamonds, no cube, they just nerfed complexity wherever they found it. Want to enhance an existing skill? Tough, you can't. All you can do is iterate your item stats. When there are no consequences and you don't need to plan builds for anything then that's great for casual players but bad for people who like depth and complexity. They also weren't very open about listening to the community until the massive outcry after release.

Compare that to Path of Exile or Torchlight 2. I don't love Path of Exile but at least they are trying new things and the devs are very open about listening to feedback. The devs for Torchlight 2 are super burned out but are putting out a fully SDK so that the community can enhance and extend the game. They also supported both closed and open multiplay unlike Blizzard.

Finally Jay just offers constant non-apologies, he's a part of the entitlement generation that never takes full responsibility for their actions. It's always I'm sorry BUT then some reasoning about why they were really right and other people should feel guilty.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

42. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 09:04 nin

How many people do you know that are still playing D3 a mere 9 months after launch?

And apparently this matters somehow?

It should. Their earlier games never had that problem.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

41. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 08:41 InBlack

Cpmartins wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 07:32:
I agree Cram. D3 wasn't a failure as a game. AS A GAME, it did exceptionally well. AS A SEQUEL TO D2, it failed miserably and ostensibly. Also it ruined the franchise, so it FAILED as well to continue the legacy.

Financially, I don't know. 10 years in development, I'd say the 10 mil turned them a profit. How much of a profit? No one outside the highest echelons of blizzard will ever know. I hope it was enough, cause they're done with that.

This. I hope that someone at Blizzard is paying attention, but in reality we all know that Blizzard is beyond all hope...

I have a nifty blue line!

40. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 08:38 InBlack

jdreyer wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 07:54:
Moog wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 05:47:
How many people do you know that are still playing D3 a mere 9 months after launch? Even you say you haven't played it in 6 months! Personally, I pre-ordered it but I don't think I even played it for a month, it was so disappointing
D3 was the biggest 'fail' of the gaming year, IMHO.

Weak sauce dude. So, you regularly find yourself playing most games 9 months after launch? Give me a break. If you played it for 60 hours (and it sounds like you did), that's a $1 per hour for your entertainment which is reasonable bang for your buck.

Diablo 2 was released in a different era and was lightning in a bottle: a unique game in a time when there weren't many games and when prices didn't drop a month after release like they do today. Diablo 3 is flawed, but the biggest fail of 2012? Really? Worse than MoH: Warfighter? Worse than The Expendables 2? Worse than Legends of Pegasus or The War Z?

Not as weak as your sauce dude. All they had to do was give us Diablo 2.5 and we would still be singing its praises and playing as we speak. And yet what they gave us....ugh.....Even the story of D3 is actually quite good and yet they chose to tell it in such a terrible way...

39. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 08:36 InBlack

Cram wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 06:38:
Cram wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 04:07:
Diablo 3 has sold over 10 F**KING MILLION PC Licenses. How in the F**K is that a failure to blame on Blizzard and Jay Wilson?

How many people do you know that are still playing D3 a mere 9 months after launch?
And apparently this matters somehow? It sold 10 millions copies at a retail value of $60. 1.2 mill or so of it, granted, from WoW 1 yr subscriptions. How in the hell does it matter if people are still playing it?! Why is it that Blizzard is the only company that can sell 10 gazillion copies of something but still fail?

Headline USA: Dishonored sells 10 million copies on all platforms!!! (it hasn't, by the way) Declared a failure (it hasn't been)!

what the hell is going on Bluesnews?

EDIT: Why is it that Diablo 3 needs to be sustainable for over 9 months, but EVERY other AAA title in the history of gaming on all platforms isn't, in order to be declared a success?

Not everything is measured in $$$. For example Transformers is a major success financially, does that mean the movie doesnt have FAIL written all over it??

Diablo 3 failed artistically and as a game, it sold mostly due to the huge IP value (proabably the biggest IP in gaming.)

Do you savy?

38. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 07:54 jdreyer

How many people do you know that are still playing D3 a mere 9 months after launch? Even you say you haven't played it in 6 months! Personally, I pre-ordered it but I don't think I even played it for a month, it was so disappointing

Weak sauce dude. So, you regularly find yourself playing most games 9 months after launch? Give me a break. If you played it for 60 hours (and it sounds like you did), that's a $1 per hour for your entertainment which is reasonable bang for your buck.

Diablo 2 was released in a different era and was lightning in a bottle: a unique game in a time when there weren't many games and when prices didn't drop a month after release like they do today. Diablo 3 is flawed, but the biggest fail of 2012? Really? Worse than MoH: Warfighter? Worse than The Expendables 2? Worse than Legends of Pegasus or The War Z?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

37. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 07:38 Armengar

aesir05 wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 04:57:
The director is like the driver of a car, there are many different components working to make the car move but its the driver who chooses which way to go.

Actually using your analagy, Activision are the road so sure, he can drive where he wants but only on Activisions roads.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

36. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 07:32 Cpmartins

35. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 07:25 Argenist

Cram wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 06:38:
Diablo 3 has sold over 10 F**KING MILLION PC Licenses. How in the F**K is that a failure to blame on Blizzard and Jay Wilson?

And apparently this matters somehow? It sold 10 millions copies at a retail value of $60. 1.2 mill or so of it, granted, from WoW 1 yr subscriptions. How in the hell does it matter if people are still playing it?! Why is it that Blizzard is the only company that can sell 10 gazillion copies of something but still fail?

Headline USA: Dishonored sells 10 million copies on all platforms!!! (it hasn't, by the way) Declared a failure (it hasn't been)!

EDIT: Why is it that Diablo 3 needs to be sustainable for over 9 months, but EVERY other AAA title in the history of gaming on all platforms isn't, in order to be declared a success?

Apple phones sell millions at launch, doesn't mean it's not a fancy hardware with a crap OS.

34. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 06:48 Julio

Glad he's proud of Diablo 3, it sucked.  

33. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 06:38 Cram

This comment was edited on Jan 18, 2013, 06:45.

32. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 06:07 Cram

It might have sold a lot of copies but I bet a lot of those people wouldn't rush back and buy a D4 at launch.

Interesting.

Fine. A game that sold 10 million copies exclusively on the PC was a failure. Hand shakes all around everybody.

Tell me, what in the hell will ever be a success on the PC platform then if not the record holder. Is the PC truly dead?

31. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 05:47 Moog

It might have sold a lot of copies but I bet a lot of those people wouldn't rush back and buy a D4 at launch.

30. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 05:13 Cram

aesir05 wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 04:57:
So yup, he's the guy who had the final say on the RMAH and making it all core and central

Prove it. Prove to me he was the guy behind the RMAH and not anyone far above him in Acti/Blizz. Prove to me Jay Wilson said: RMAH is Diablo bitches! RMAH is JAY WILSON!

Go!

29. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 04:57 aesir05

The director is like the driver of a car, there are many different components working to make the car move but its the driver who chooses which way to go.

So yup, he's the guy who had the final say on the RMAH and making it all core and central

When he saw the stats for item drops after first 2 weeks he chose to modify it.
Ofcourse he didn't program it in, but he was the one who decided that it should go down by x %

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo