Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Strategy Guides Launch

Valve announces the launch of Steam Guides, offering player created strategy aides:

Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the launch of Steam Guides, a new capability of the platform that allows players to create and/or find guides for their favorite games or Software titles on Steam.

Steam Guides lets players create and share guides, walkthroughs, and tips for their favorite games or software to help others who might be stuck or who simply want to learn more about the game. Players may easily create guides through Steam, where they may upload images, add screenshots, and embed YouTube videos. Guides are then quickly accessible through Steam, via the Steam Community and in-game via the Steam Overlay.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Steam Strategy Guides Launch Jan 18, 2013, 07:58 jdreyer

Sepharo wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 22:14:
The only guide I've ever owned was the one for Morrowind. Read that front to back multiple times and usually during class too. From what I remember it was actually pretty funny at times.

edit: This one which apparently sells for $97 new and $2 used. Hah, look at the author's other books.

Yeah, that was the Oblivion book I had. Funny that guy does that for a living.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Steam Strategy Guides Launch Jan 17, 2013, 22:38 nin

Sepharo wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 22:14:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 21:39:
Dades wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 20:38:
I don't use strategy guides or read about builds or anything like that, ruins all of the challenge and fun of doing it yourself. For people who don't care as much then I'm sure its good but I have to wonder why bother when they could just go to gamefaqs.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

After playing Oblivion a few years ago, I happened upon the guide at a garage sale for $1. I had already gotten everything I wanted out of the game, but it was fun to go back and read the quests I'd done, see what I missed, etc. Also having a guide available when you're really stuck is convenient.

Agree with Brubeck tho, this needs to be optional/hideable.

The only guide I've ever owned was the one for Morrowind. Read that front to back multiple times and usually during class too. From what I remember it was actually pretty funny at times.

edit: This one which apparently sells for $97 new and $2 used. Hah, look at the author's other books.

I'm more concerned about his picture...hello, stalker!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

9. Re: Steam Strategy Guides Launch Jan 17, 2013, 22:14 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 21:39:
I don't use strategy guides or read about builds or anything like that, ruins all of the challenge and fun of doing it yourself. For people who don't care as much then I'm sure its good but I have to wonder why bother when they could just go to gamefaqs.

After playing Oblivion a few years ago, I happened upon the guide at a garage sale for $1. I had already gotten everything I wanted out of the game, but it was fun to go back and read the quests I'd done, see what I missed, etc. Also having a guide available when you're really stuck is convenient.

This comment was edited on Jan 17, 2013, 22:20.

8. Re: Steam Strategy Guides Launch Jan 17, 2013, 21:39 jdreyer

7. Re: Steam Strategy Guides Launch Jan 17, 2013, 21:02 Brumbek

Genesys wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 20:45:
I usually just alt-tab out to a real browser, except for games that don't take well to alt-tabbing (Skyrim is my main offender).
I HIGHLY recommend you use SBW (http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/4).

Not only does it allow for perfect alt-tabbing, but it actually increases frame rate and causes faster loading times for most people.

Only downside really is it takes 10 seconds by default to go borderless window.

Anyway, about Steam guides in overlay, this should be OPTIONAL. See guides in overlay is VERY annoying, since often they have spoilers in their names! Do not want for games I've barely played.

6. Re: Steam Strategy Guides Launch Jan 17, 2013, 20:45 Genesys

The Steam overlay browser always feels laggy, though. Slow to paint, slow to scroll, and sometimes focus doesn't work right. I wonder if it runs as a separate process from the overlay, or is completely embedded? I usually just alt-tab out to a real browser, except for games that don't take well to alt-tabbing (Skyrim is my main offender).

5. Re: Steam Strategy Guides Launch Jan 17, 2013, 20:38 Dades

4. Re: Steam Strategy Guides Launch Jan 17, 2013, 20:31 theyarecomingforyou

Random, but it's a good idea. The more Valve introduces features like this the further behind Origin and Gamestop become.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

3. Re: Steam Strategy Guides Launch Jan 17, 2013, 20:00 jdreyer

This is cool.  

2. Re: Steam Strategy Guides Launch Jan 17, 2013, 19:38 The Half Elf

Gamefaqs inside Steam?

Consider me interested, but at the same time alt-tabbing (or 2nd screen) and google is just as effective.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

1. Re: Steam Strategy Guides Launch Jan 17, 2013, 19:37 jacobvandy

I'm really surprised they didn't do this sooner, considering GameFAQs or similar sites have probably been the #1 use for the in-game web browser.  

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo