Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 18, 2013, 08:07 jdreyer

Ray Marden wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 18:35:
Wishing they would announce the new GPUs already ,
Ray

Wait, what? GTX 680s aren't fast enough for you?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 18, 2013, 08:04 jdreyer

Julio wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 18:25:
Beelzebud wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 16:58:
Whoever decided that PC UI's should be the same as cell phone UI's needs to be ran out of town.

And whoever came up with the ribbon. Hang on a sec, I think that person just took a more important role at Microsoft.

Well, you know, those that can't get promoted.

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 18, 2013, 00:11 MisterBenn

Steele Johnson wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 14:38:
Well, no one uses the Windows key in the previous os versions is because it wasn't that useful.

The Windows key is useful in 7. On top of older shortcuts you've got Win+Cursors for minimise, maximise, put to left/right of screen and so on. The best is "Windows Key + start typing the name of something" - the short list of matching installed programs, recent documents and settings applets is about as quick as you can get.

Playing: Path of Exile, Age of Wonders III

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 17, 2013, 19:58 wtf_man

Julio wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 18:25:
Whoever decided that PC UI's should be the same as cell phone UI's needs to be ran out of town.

And whoever came up with the ribbon. Hang on a sec, I think that person just took a more important role at Microsoft.

Yup.

That would be Julie Larson-Green.

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 17, 2013, 18:35 Ray Marden

He's a bit over the top which really hurts his case.

It all comes down to the same ideas - nobody with Windows 7 needs to upgrade. I have Windows 8 and I have no reason to revert back to Windows 7 - it has some improvements and a wonky Bing start screen (Metro.)

As for design, though, the Metro "core" of Windows 8 really is a mess. The fact that I primarily spend ally time in the Windows 7 app proves that. That fact that I cannot even run my system through the Metro screen (no task manager, no control panel, no explorer, etc.) means it is, at best, an incomplete idea.
It really does tell you only "Click in the corner to begin..." and nothing else."
Wishing they would announce the new GPUs already ,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 17, 2013, 18:25 Julio

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 17, 2013, 17:40 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 11:23:

Queue the horde of Windows 8 fans who unanimously agree that Windows 8 is just perfectly fine, AS LONG AS YOU TURN IT BACK INTO WINDOWS 7.

Creston

Minus Aero, of course.

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 17, 2013, 16:58 Beelzebud

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 17, 2013, 16:50 JediPunisher

Windows 8 is not unusable, but it is a mess, and I hate it.
I hated the Metro interface with a passion when it first appeared on my AdBox 360.
It makes no sense for a desktop PC. I will never, I repeat, NEVER replace my PC monitor with a touch screen.
Windows 8 is an inept attempt by MS to push hardware sales and possibly to drive their stock price down for a buy back just before announcing Windows 9.
I'm upgrading my PC with a Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD, and I'll be installing Windows 7 on it.

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 17, 2013, 16:07 NegaDeath

Steele Johnson wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 14:38:
If you can't adjust to new things, don't complain about them. It's your own limitation.

You've stated multiple times across a bunch of Windows 8 threads how inferior we are to you for not "adapting" to Windows 8. We get it. If complaining about product changes is bad, then what is complaining about complainers?

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 17, 2013, 15:20 Verno

I still don't understand why people call Win8 schizophrenic when using keyboard and mouse. I NEVER use the metro based screen that's used for touch screen purposes. My machine boots right to the desktop just like win7. No difference. And all the commands that I need that were once accessed through the dumb start menu (something I've always hated about older windows os versions) can be accessed from the desktop without the start menu. If you can't adjust to new things, don't complain about them. It's your own limitation.

Uh you didn't adjust to new things, you disabled it. You just said you don't use Metro but that you don't understand why people find the two interfaces schizophrenic.

You can't disable Metro either, you need third party applications to do that, ones the average user will not know about. Hence their user experience being schizophrenic and offputting because the interaction between Metro and Desktop quite frankly makes little sense and has been dismantled thoroughly all over the place, even by UX experts.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 17, 2013, 14:38 Steele Johnson

I still don't understand why people call Win8 schizophrenic when using keyboard and mouse. I NEVER use the metro based screen that's used for touch screen purposes. My machine boots right to the desktop just like win7. No difference. And all the commands that I need that were once accessed through the dumb start menu (something I've always hated about older windows os versions) can be accessed from the desktop without the start menu. If you can't adjust to new things, don't complain about them. It's your own limitation.

After watching (listening) to the video, I really just walked away thinking that the guys refused (or was too stupid) to learn anything new. He might have had a couple good points, but most of what he said was just ignorant. Going on and saying that no one uses the Windows key was the best part. Well, no one uses the Windows key in the previous os versions is because it wasn't that useful. If he spent the time actually learning what it can do in Windows 8, I think he's be surprised how useful it finally is!! DOH!

This comment was edited on Jan 17, 2013, 14:59.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 17, 2013, 13:45 Silicon Avatar

Horrible is a bit much.

The GUI is certainly VERY inconvenient and annoying in some places, but to qualify as horrible I'd need to see a lot of crashing and/or driver corruption, which I'm just not getting.

Windows ME is horrible. Windows 8 is more annoying than anything.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 17, 2013, 13:35 NegaDeath

Verno wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 12:31:
To be fair that tutorial is not only over in about 15 seconds but incredibly basic and doesn't really tie into any actual apps or demonstrate anything.

When I saw how short and useless that "tutorial" was I was dumbfounded. Incredibly short and no context. I was expecting something more like this, considering the amount of change and how long the old interface had been used I assumed it would go into some detail. Hell even XP had popup tooltips. So damned lazy.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 17, 2013, 12:31 Verno

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 12:20:
His gripe about the Weather app, and not knowing how to stop this evil demon from raping his Ninjas vs Godzilla essay, is actually directly addressed by Windows itself when you boot it up the first time after install.

To be fair that tutorial is not only over in about 15 seconds but incredibly basic and doesn't really tie into any actual apps or demonstrate anything.

I agree the guys hyperbole is a bit much and it's a shame because all of his points make sense and don't need the huge exaggeration.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 17, 2013, 12:27 PropheT

Queue the horde of Windows 8 fans who unanimously agree that Windows 8 is just perfectly fine, AS LONG AS YOU TURN IT BACK INTO WINDOWS 7.

It is fine if you turn it back into Windows 7.

I'm definitely not a Windows 8 fan, and I think that turning it back into 7 makes it pointless, but it's still largely true.

Most reviewers have said that it's terrible. They didn't do it with over the top hyperbole or just outright stupidity like the guy in this video did, though, so maybe some people didn't pick up on it.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 17, 2013, 12:20 Burrito of Peace

...agree that Windows 8 is just perfectly fine, AS LONG AS YOU TURN IT BACK INTO WINDOWS 7.

Creston

Actually, it works excellently for me exactly as it came off the image...because I also am using it with a touchscreen as was the original design and intent.

On a regular KB+M setup, it's a bipolar, schizophrenic mess.

This guy, however, is an unfunny asshole with an irritating and distracting lisp who is trying desperately to be Yahtzee, down to even ripping off some of the gags and artwork.

His gripe about the Weather app, and not knowing how to stop this evil demon from raping his Ninjas vs Godzilla essay, is actually directly addressed by Windows itself when you boot it up the first time after install.

So not only is this guy lazy and incompetent, he's too ignorant to even pay attention to the OS itself which tells him how to address his "problem".

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 17, 2013, 11:23 Creston

wtf_man wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 09:31:
Opinion: Windows 8 Is Unusable

The video makes a lot of valid points that I agree with, but at the same time some of the points are ridiculous.

Overall, though, I think it shows why most people who despise Windows 8, came to their conclusions after working with it a bit.

I wish he'd done it without the crazy hyperbole (which is something coming from ME.) The large majority of the points he makes are absolutely spot on, and are enough to make the video stand on its own. He didn't need to add the "I was waiting for Windows to start raping my dog!" statements, as they just detract from the actual information he's trying to convey.

Windows 8 is fucking terrible, and it'd be nice if the nut-slobbering reviewers of the world would all have the courage to just say so.

Creston

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 17, 2013, 10:45 wtf_man

NegaDeath wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 10:33:
I wouldn't call Windows 8 "unusable". Schizophrenic, ugly, lazy, misguided are all good words but not unusable.

Well he was mainly focusing the "unusable" towards the first instances that full screen metro weather app kept popping up and he didn't know why... then he found out that sliding his mouse cursor on a laptop touchpad was "swiping to the right"

And to a non-tech savvy person that would be frustrating.

So, yes, in the context of an average consumer... as Verno said... that would be an accurate statement... but in the context of most people that have some tech common sense, they'd be able to find what they are doing wrong, and adjust... which does make the statement a bit ridiculous.

So... yeah... I agree with you, NegaDeath.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 17, 2013, 10:33 NegaDeath

I wouldn't call Windows 8 "unusable". Schizophrenic, ugly, lazy, misguided are all good words but not unusable.  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo